Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Best book collection database software?

• 21-05-2014 7:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭

Hi,

What is the best free book collection database software?

I am looking for a free book collection software that will catalogue and organize my book collection.

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭hooplah

Do you want it to handle loans to other people?

If not a lot of people used to reccommend LibraryThing which allows you to do it online:

https://www.librarything.com/

Chances are most if not all of your books will allready be catalogued by someone else which will cut down on some of the tediousness of cataloguing.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 HenryCrun

If you are using Windows and have less than 5,000 books to catalogue you can use Adlib Library Lite from Adlibsoft, a free version of software used by thousands of professional organisations (libraries and museums) worldwide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

hooplah wrote: »
    Do you want it to handle loans to other people?

If not a lot of people used to reccommend LibraryThing which allows you to do it online:

https://www.librarything.com/

Chances are most if not all of your books will allready be catalogued by someone else which will cut down on some of the tediousness of cataloguing.

I've used librarything for years, quite good.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Just use an open office spread sheet in CSV format. I'd admit not the most sophisticated, but the format means ease of transfer of the date between devices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 maxic

I had my book list in MS Excel, but switched to "All My Books" program. It is really nice to browse my collection now. I am tracking the books I read in the program too. The only bad thing about All My Books - it is not free. I tried to find the free program, but failed. I'm too old for all those online stuff, prefer usual software instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭OakeyDokey

Would Goodreads be something towards that? I have never tried Librarything because you have to pay but seems similar. I love having a little book database but I also really like the social part of it instead of just a list. Maybe it's not your thing but I'm a sucker for websites like that :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

OakeyDokey wrote: »
    Would Goodreads be something towards that? I have never tried Librarything because you have to pay but seems similar. I love having a little book database but I also really like the social part of it instead of just a list. Maybe it's not your thing but I'm a sucker for websites like that :D

I use Goodreads as well and it has a handy app with a barcode scanner so you can add your books quickly and also scan books on the go, which I find helpful if I see an interesting book in a shop but don't know if I want to buy it just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Miss.Mayhem

Vojera wrote: »
    I use Goodreads as well and it has a handy app with a barcode scanner so you can add your books quickly and also scan books on the go, which I find helpful if I see an interesting book in a shop but don't know if I want to buy it just yet.

Me too! I absolutely love Goodreads. I love their book recommendations too. They recommend books you might like base on what you've read and how you rated it.

For keeping track of books you've downloaded on your computer, I'd recommend Calibre.

Advertisement