Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cube versus Specialized versus Cannondale versus....

• 24-06-2012 9:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,858 ✭✭✭

Evening all.

Apologies for starting another "which bike to buy on the BTW scheme", but I'm a complete novice and as good as the lads are in the local shop, a few other opinions wouldn't hurt.

Anyways, I'm looking at spending the full €1000 on a bike. It's my one chance at getting a decent bike, so I'm not going to waste €100 or more on accessories.
    Had a look at a few bikes today. The two that caught my eye were the Specialized Sirrus Comp for €990, and the Cube SL Cross Race for €1155c which they said they'd do for €1000.
    The fly in the ointment is the Cannondale Bad Boy 4, which is available online for £899. I've not checked, but I'd like to think it'd be available for £800 ie. €1000. I've always loved the look of the Cannondales, but is it madness to buy a bike without never having sat on it?

So I suppose out of those 3, what would people recommend? There'll be no off road stuff, and I don't want a road bike.
    I also haven't a notion of specs, and what's better than what, so I can't judge by specs alone.

All help appreciated lads and lassies.

Oh yeah, I wouldn't mind getting the order in tomorrow, so quick replies would help loads.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

What do you want the bike for? The Specialized and the Cannondale are hybrids. The Cube is a Cyclocross bike. Hybrids are good for city commuting & general riding. Cyclocross are designed for Cylcocross racing/track riding, doesnt meen you can rid e it on the raod though.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Rew wrote: »
    What do you want the bike for? The Specialized and the Cannondale are hybrids. The Cube is a Cyclocross bike. Hybrids are good for city commuting & general riding. Cyclocross are designed for Cylcocross racing/track riding, doesnt meen you can rid e it on the raod though.

Nope, the SL Cross Race is also a hybrid. The Cross Race is a cyclocross bike.

Stupid product naming.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,858 ✭✭✭Soarer

Thanks for the replies guys.

Should've said in the op that it's gonna be used for commuting to work and the odd longer spin at weekends. Nothing drastic...more to open the lungs! Deffo no off road stuff.

Lumen wrote: »
    Nope, the SL Cross Race is also a hybrid. The Cross Race is a cyclocross bike.

Stupid product naming.

Ahh yes my bad, looking at new road bikes all day going cross eyed, pardon the pun!

Gonna update this even though I only posted last night! :o

Went back to the shop today, and got talking to a different guy. Anyways, between teh jigs and the reels, I've decided to go for a road bike as opposed to the hybrid. :cool:

I've kinda decided on the Cube Peleton Race. They have it in stock, I like the colour scheme, and have always liked the look of Cubes.
    One of the lads in the office here recommended the Canyon Roadlite 6.0, and has confused me again!
    I think I repfer the look of the Cube, but apparently the Roadlite is the best bike you can get for €1000.

Any inputs guys?

• Advertisement

Will your employer buy off the Canyon website (you cant get them in a shop)? That may make your decision for you.

I doubt anyone here will say the Cube is better then the Canyon for the money, that's not to that the Cube is bad though, I have a Cube MTB.

Yeah, the company said as long as they'll accept Euro cheques, they don't mind where it's bought!

So you reckon the Canyon yeah?

What about this Felt Z85? Merlin in the UK have 10% off Felt and free shipping, so she comes in just at €1000. Canyon still better?

Soarer wrote: »
    Yeah, the company said as long as they'll accept Euro cheques, they don't mind where it's bought!

So you reckon the Canyon yeah?

What about this Felt Z85? Merlin in the UK have 10% off Felt and free shipping, so she comes in just at €1000. Canyon still better?

Don't know about Felt but its a given that for 1k you wont beat the Roadlite 6.0

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

I'd say, the Boardman Road Team Bike is currently best value out there at the moment - link. It's normally sold for €1250 but it's currently on sale for €999.

The only downside for some is that Halfords sell them - if you're not into the mechanical side yourself, you might want to check out your local Halfords first. Having said that, even a bad Halfords should offer a better service on their bikes than something bought online.

Thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately I've only seen it now! I was in meetings all day yesterday and when they finished, I was into the car and put in an order for the Peloton! :o

Happy with my decision (I think!). Just have to wait for the company to pay for it now!;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement