Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

• 02-02-2009 5:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

I was at the game in Tralee over the weekend.

The panel is looking very strong this year. David Moran was excellent in midfield and Aidan O'Shea looks a class act aswell. Going to be a lot of competition for places and Kennelly still has to come back. Nice to see Jack O'Connor get his maiden victory.

Galvin kicked three good points but seemed to tire considerably in the second half. I'm not sure when they started training but they looked sharp, considering Donegal had McKenna Cup games played- looking forward to next weekend against Tyrone.

Will Kerry win Kerry? 99 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 99 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

i was there too... delighted to see young moran doing so well. tommy walsh was pretty good too. galvin was certainly out of it towards the end, but he did some great work.

thought darren o sulllivan was poor, spilled a lot of ball.

overall, the ref was ok i thought. could have prob issued one ot two yellows to each side, but chose not to.

delighted for jack.

here's hoping it was the first of many successes this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

Should be a cracking game against Tyrone. And seeing as traditionally Kerry take awhile to get up to speed, its encouraging to see them get a good win and a good start to the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Good point about the yellow cards. I left ten minutes early to beat the traffic to Dublin and Wishie was saying on Radio Kerry that Mark O'Shea had blatantly tripped his man going through and yet, no yellow. The game started out very cleanly and open but seemed to get a bit more physical towards the end of the second half. I was really impressed with the turnout too!

Tyrone got anniliated in Tralee last year in the league. It's going to be interesting next weekend when they are at home. They looked good against Dublin in the first half but Kerry defence isn't going to give them that sort of space.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭shiibata

I was at the game in Tralee over the weekend.

The panel is looking very strong this year. David Moran was excellent in midfield and Aidan O'Shea looks a class act aswell. Going to be a lot of competition for places and Kennelly still has to come back. Nice to see Jack O'Connor get his maiden victory.

Galvin kicked three good points but seemed to tire considerably in the second half. I'm not sure when they started training but they looked sharp, considering Donegal had McKenna Cup games played- looking forward to next weekend against Tyrone.

Was working last Sunday so did not see the game, listened to it on local radio at work and Martin McHugh had great praise for the Moran lad at midfield, was giving him MOTM.

Must admit when I seen Donegal had the same team out again as the previous weekend in McKenna cup final, my confidence was so high, I put €50 on Kerry -3 at 13/10:D. (forgot to change my pools prediction though:()
    That was one of the poorest teams out in a league game for years for Donegal and unfortunately we look to have not much coming through the ranks :( as you seen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭news for you

Good point about the yellow cards. I left ten minutes early to beat the traffic to Dublin and Wishie was saying on Radio Kerry that Mark O'Shea had blatantly tripped his man going through and yet, no yellow. The game started out very cleanly and open but seemed to get a bit more physical towards the end of the second half. I was really impressed with the turnout too!

Tyrone got anniliated in Tralee last year in the league. It's going to be interesting next weekend when they are at home. They looked good against Dublin in the first half but Kerry defence isn't going to give them that sort of space.

Annihilated by a massive three points.

• Advertisement

Lol I knew that was going to come up. They were 8 points down and came back only through Kerry's atricious wides on the night- they were comprehensively outplayed.

Sheehan missed some sitters in Tralee that night- Interested to see him on the bench this year. I wonder who is going to take the frees, I see gooch was taking everything from the right.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

I think Tyrone will win the AI again. But there are several realistic contenders this year. Kerry have a great chance, especially with the return of Kennelly. Kerry to win the league, Munster title and go out at the quarters against an Ulster back door team.

If they stay fit. They both have good young talent coming through.

I personally think if last years Kerry team and Tyrone had played ten times Kerry would have won 8. Pascal made two fantastic saves in the first half that could have wrapped it up for Kerry.

But Kerry have yet to beat then in Croker- I think they should break that duck this year. Galway were my dark horse last year, have to see how they get on in the league but Meehan is looking amazing. They need some more solid defenders though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭mumhaabu

Kerry were impressive enough and immediately I could see the Jack O'Connor effect in them. Kerry started well and went 2-05 to 0-01 up within 15mins. I was at the game and analysed it afterwards. I feel that the new rules will benefit Kerry in the League and they will give it a good rattle.

Tyrone are certainly still a major threat to us this year however I personally feel that Kerry have more talent and the ability to defeat Tyrone. I think with Jack O'Connor back in charge and the amount of talent there now that Kerry can and hopefully will win back sam. Sun Feb 15th in Omagh will basically be an experiment on how to control Sean Cavanagh his performance against Dublin was one of the greatest I have ever seen since the day Maurice Fitzgerald defeated Mayo single handedly. Tyrone are now on top and there is only one way they can go, Kerry will once again reinvent the wheel.

While Tyrone will probably beat Kerry the next day the expeirience gained by Kerry will be massive. I was extremly impressed by Ger Reidy of Castleisland and after his performance against Donegal, Diarmuid Murphy's days are well and truly numbered. With Tadgh Kennelly back and Tommy Walsh and Kieran Donaghy it will make for an interesting toss up.

With Jack O'Connor and Fitzmaurice at the helm I can see Kerry bringing off the treble this year winning the league and regaining our lost Munster and All-Ireland crowns. No-one must underestimate our northern foe and there is two things for sure anyway and it is that whoever wins this year will not win easy and Dublin won't win unless Kerry and Tyrone annihilate each other in some sort of mess like occured with Kerry and the Rebels last year which really left Kerry for six before the Red Hand axed the 3-in-a-row. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

job done, 1st game, nothing to get excited about. no all irelands handed out in January and February.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,769 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Where do people think Tadgh Kennelly will play this year?

I would say midfield. Moran is looking well but it's only the league. I would guess Dara and Tadgh will be the midfield partnership with young Moran coming in the second half. Dara doesn't have the legs for 70 minutes anymore.

Tadgh's physique and distribution would suit Kerry and he would win a lot of route one ball. I can see Tommy Walsh in full forward perhaps- he was an unbelieveable target man the last day with Donaghy moving out to half forward.

talking to a lad at home, Tadhg is due home today and is in serious training for the past 2-3 weeks. he will probably make his bow in the north kerry league on sunday week for emmets.

he is injury free. my club play emmets soon :)

I thought midfield would be the thing for him alright.

With David Moran kicking on it'll do Dara the world of good not being guarenteed his place on the team imo.

The only thing is, with Tadgh's fielding skills he might make an even more formidable full forward than what's already available...

You know it's funny. in 2005 Kerry had no full forward and now we have three between Donaghy, walsh and Kennelly. I still think that midfield is where he is utilised best. The reason Donaghy was so sucessful in 2006 is that he was getting a great supply of ball and Dara cleaned up in midfield in the semi and the final. Kerry were not as strong there last season and it cost them. A lot of their scores against Galway were ball turned over in the backs. We need to secure route one in midfield and Kennelly is the man to do that.

You know it's funny. in 2005 Kerry had no full forward and now we have three between Donaghy, walsh and Kennelly. I still think that midfield is where he is utilised best. The reason Donaghy was so sucessful in 2006 is that he was getting a great supply of ball and Dara cleaned up in midfield in the semi and the final. Kerry were not as strong there last season and it cost them. A lot of their scores against Galway were ball turned over in the backs. We need to secure route one in midfield and Kennelly is the man to do that.

Yeah I do think midfield is where he'll do best for us, but he will be a great option at full-forward if we're in trouble with ten minutes to go at any stage...

Triple-towers anyone?:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,361 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Anyone think that we should play Kennelly Full Back? I know people will say, he'll be restrained creatively, but look, Kerry had one Weakness last year... Full Back Line. Kennelly would have the pace, physicality and height to cover all the full back criteria.
    He also played in the backs in Oz.
    Better option then Aiden O'Mahoney IMO.

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Anyone think that we should play Kennelly Full Back? I know people will say, he'll be restrained creatively, but look, Kerry had one Weakness last year... Full Back Line. Kennelly would have the pace, physicality and height to cover all the full back criteria.
    He also played in the backs in Oz.
    Better option then Aiden O'Mahoney IMO.

There was no problem in the full-back line. There was a problem on the sideline.

Tommy Griffin came in and solved the problem before the management retardedly decided to drop him and let Sean Cavanagh destroy us in the final.

Surely Jack will be smarter than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Agus

Jack drops Kennelly hint

04 February 2009

Jack O’Connor has dropped the strongest hint yet that Tadhg Kennelly will be part of the Kerry senior football squad in 2009.

The Listowel man is home in Ireland to pursue his dream of winning a senior All-Ireland medal with Kerry but admitted upon touchdown at Cork Airport on Tuesday that he doesn’t expect to walk straight into the Kingdom team or panel.

However, manager O’Connor believes the former Kerry underage sensation can quickly re-adapt to gaelic football after his illustrious career Down Under with Sydney Swans:

"If he had left it to later in the year, it probably would have been too late because fellas at that stage would have three or four months’ training behind them.

"So he’s coming in on a fairly even keel and I know for a fact that he was doing a lot of work, even when he was in Australia in January.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,361 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Agus wrote: »
    Jack drops Kennelly hint

04 February 2009

Jack O’Connor has dropped the strongest hint yet that Tadhg Kennelly will be part of the Kerry senior football squad in 2009.

The Listowel man is home in Ireland to pursue his dream of winning a senior All-Ireland medal with Kerry but admitted upon touchdown at Cork Airport on Tuesday that he doesn’t expect to walk straight into the Kingdom team or panel.

However, manager O’Connor believes the former Kerry underage sensation can quickly re-adapt to gaelic football after his illustrious career Down Under with Sydney Swans:

"If he had left it to later in the year, it probably would have been too late because fellas at that stage would have three or four months’ training behind them.

"So he’s coming in on a fairly even keel and I know for a fact that he was doing a lot of work, even when he was in Australia in January.
    Shock Horror!!!

• Advertisement

Yeah fair play to Jacko not hiding his intentions...

Kennelly already in Kingdom training

tadghkennelly151106.jpg[SIZE=-1]Tadhg Kennelly[/SIZE]09 February 2009

Tadhg Kennelly has already joined the Kerry senior football squad, less than a week after returning home from Australia.

The former Sydney Swans star trained with the Kingdom over the weekend and is now expected to be part of Kerry’s national football league panel.

Jack O’Connor will be without Kieran Donaghy for Sunday’s trek to Omagh, which leaves the manager with the tantalising option of throwing Kennelly into the fray at full forward. However, he is more likely to be deployed at full back, where his fielding ability would by a major asset.

?utm_source=Hogan%2BStand&utm_medium=Banner&utm_term=300x250activity;src=1715683;met=1;v=1;pid=28767586;aid=206269055;ko=0;cid=27595271;rid=27613150;rv=1;&timestamp=3240544;eid1=9;ecn1=1;etm1=0;?utm_source=Hogan%2BStand&utm_medium=Banner&utm_term=300x250vbulletin
    The player himself said that he didn’t expect to walk straight on to the Kerry panel, but Jack O’Connor pointed out that he had faith in Kennelly’s ability as an athlete to adapt.

The thinking in the camp could be that he needs as many games as possible to hone his skills ahead of the championship.

Will playing him against tyrone not be showing their hand a bit?

Will playing him against tyrone not be showing their hand a bit?

he wont play against tyrone. anyway, how is it showing a hand? people know enough about him, theres nothing to hide!

tommy walsh was a secret, star, killian young etc. tadhg kennelly is hardly an unknown waiting to burst onto the scene.

Quick Kennelly debut ruled out

10 February 2009

Kerry selector Ger O’Keeffe has dismissed reports that Tadhg Kennelly could make his senior debut in Sunday’s eagerly-awaited NFL clash with Tyrone in Omagh.

The 27-year-old, who recently quit the Sydney Swans to return to his native Kerry, trained with both Listowel Emmets and the Kingdom squads last weekend, but O’Keeffe has insisted that he will not be rushed into action.

"We haven’t selected a squad for Omagh yet, but we’d be reluctant to push any player too quickly," he said.

"Tadhg will know himself when he is ready - he’ll be under no pressure from us. We recognise what an athlete he is and fitness certainly won’t be an issue with him.

"He played a trial game and did well. He was a bit rusty as you might expect, but he’s got an early taste of it and that can only serve him well."

Significantly, O’Keeffe did not rule out Kennelly being part of the travelling squad for Sunday’s game.

I hope he plays - I'm itching to see him in action...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭blackbelt

Can't see it happening.What manager would put Kennelly on from the off?He hasn't played GAA in years and the morale of the Kerry team would suffer if Kennelly was to walk on to a starting 15.

Plus there is no way he could deal with the Tyrone attack of O Neill and Cavanagh...and even Mulligan!!

It will be club matches for him and training with the Kerry seniors until the latter stages of the league when Kerry will play Dublin.

Anyone know how Kennelly played for Emmets?

Blackbelt- he's not that rusty he's been playing club football a bit in the off season- I remember he was home last season for a county final for instance.

Good article on the GAA website from Marc O'Shea. He mentions 12 fighting it out for the back positions?

He seems very optimistic anyway and making no bones about it.

http://www.gaa.ie/plugins/newsfeed.cgi?rm=content&plugin_data_id=25945

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

any room in here for discussion of kerry leagues and championships?

• Advertisement

Don't see why not- I'm a Legion man so be gentle. ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement