Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Shamrock car

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Carazy

Article found on web in MotorTrend September 1959

The Irish T-Bird

Prototype of new four-passenger sports car, to be produced in Tralee, County Kerry for the American market, bears a strong resemblance to the Ford Thunderbird, but is to sell for half the price.

Bearing the fitting name of Shamrock, the prototype of a new four-passenger sportscar was recently introduced to the American public by a 27 year old Californian of Irish descent. Starting into production in the early fall, the fiberglass-bodied car will be available at a proposed price of $2495.

About two years ago, William Curtis, present managing director of Shamrock Motors, Ltd., was visiting his wife’s family in Ireland. That’s where he got the idea “…to help the country and its people.” Looking for a favorable prospect to manufacture, he thought cars the most promising.

After 16 months of intensive work, the prototype seen here was completed. He than set up a 40,000 square foot plant to produce it. Within six months he hopes to be employing 2400 workers. Plans are to ship 3000 cars to the U.S. next year, with the bulk of them going to Southern California.

The fiberglass body sits on a ladder-type frame. Engine, transmission, suspension and other mechanical components are from an Austin A-55. Total weight is said to be only 1910 lbs. Performance from the 53-bhp engine should be adequate but not outstanding. Fuel economy should be good.

2.jpg
    thumb-620x250.jpg
    8-1024x386.jpg
    6.jpg
    5-1024x361.jpg
    3-150x150.jpg
    4-1024x325.jpg
    7-1024x709.jpg

All above and below courtesey of Geoffrey Hacker's research.

Erin Go Beep: Shamrock Press Release
    Los Angeles, California: May 24th, 1961

Ireland’s first production car, the Shamrock 5 passenger sports convertible makes its U.S. debut at Los Angeles, California. The car is in limited production at Castle Blaney, County Monaghan, Eire. Curtis, head of Shamrock Motors, Ltd., near Dublin, has announced that the entire production of Shamrocks is slated for the U.S. at a price to complete with the compacts. The car will make its first West Coast public appearance at the Los Angeles Home Show May 25 to June 4th, 1961

And the photos from the above press release

61rtjsepshamrock.jpg
    59mtoctshamrock.jpg
    scan_366-1024x801.jpg
    scan_367-1024x801.jpg

And some pictures/info of the cars that are left that I have found.
    (10 were supposed to have been built)
    Register of Shamrock Cars
    America
    One car was wrecked in a crash in New York according to Dick Midkiff

1)Dan Holms', Seattle
    Dan Holms' Shamrock led the 2010 Seattle St.Patricks Day Parade and is/was for sale (PM for details)

The Shamrock automobile was built in Castleblaney, County Monaghan by Shamrock Motors Ltd. in 1960 . The one-piece molded fiberglass, four-seater convertible, which looks like a cross between a 1957 Thunderbird and a Studebaker Hawk, was built on a ladder frame with a 98-inch wheelbase. Owned by Dan Holms of Seattle, this is one of only 4 Shamrock Autos still around. Wearing its original paint, the odometer shows just more than 10,000 miles.

seattle.jpg
    sham.jpg
    11.jpg
    55.jpg
    33.jpg
    44.jpg
    33.jpg
    AR-503210705.jpg

2)Dick Midkiff (Harbor City, California) HCB563 13,000miles (Owner of another one for restoration No.7)
    Origionally white(as all were) but sprayed candy flake green

GreenShamrockcar.jpg
    GreenShamrockCalifornia.jpg
    profimedia-0095703889.jpg
    Shamrock-car.jpg

• Advertisement

The ones which were registered in Ireland

3) ZV3216 Paddy Byrne from Drogheda (Owns another one also (2002) and says one exists in Killarney)
    Car which appeared in Top Gear

pbyrneshamrock2.jpg
    pbyrneshamrock.jpg
    zv32166.jpg
    zvv.jpg
    profimedia-0008374087.jpg
    profimedia-0008375520.jpg
    zv.jpg
    zv321.jpg
    profimedia-0008379589.jpg
    zv3216.jpg

4)EZE705(Pic thanks to DarrenO)
    eze705.jpg

5)EMI634(Pic thanks to DarrenO)
    emi634.jpg

6)AZH394) (Pic thanks to Blue850)

ShanrockAZH394-1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭swarlb

Ironic that the car 'made in Ireland'....is LHD and carries a ZV plate...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Blue850

The green one belongs to a man called Dick Midkiff in California. He has 2 of them. Well he had in 2002

LA Times article from 2002 about him and the Shamrock

I've been in contact with Dan Holmes in Seattle, he's done a lot of work on that car. It came from the Harrah collection in Las Vegas.

ShanrockAZH394-1.jpg
    Did this one survive? It was in Carlow in 1972.

GreenShamrockCalifornia.jpg

Another shot of the green one in California

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭68deville

EMI 634 is sitting outside in a field last time i looked,could even be missing
    its windscreen by now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

68deville wrote: »
    its windscreen by now

How long ago was that?
    There's one in Killarney afaik, anyone know the reg of that one?

I've the reg KZE 157 written down in some notes as belonging to a Shamrock, but I cannot for the life of me remember where I got it from:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

68deville wrote: »
    its windscreen by now

Where and when was that if you don't mind me asking. A car like that, whatever its looks, performance etc deserves to be saved.

At the very least it should be taken out of the field into the dry before more damage is done to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭TigerTim

How long ago was that?
    There's one in Killarney afaik, anyone know the reg of that one?

There is one in a shed in Killarney, owned by a well known Mini rally man.
    Never seen the car, though, but he told me he has it stored.

T.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

This is terrific info lads, best I've seen !

The car is butt ugly though, even worse with the hardtop, first time I've seen that. The US ones look quite a bit better with the chrome/SS bumpers and trim fitted !

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭68deville

bijapos wrote: »
    Where and when was that if you don't mind me asking. A car like that, whatever its looks, performance etc deserves to be saved.

At the very least it should be taken out of the field into the dry before more damage is done to it.

It was still there as of two months ago about 5 miles outside enniscorthy

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Gmin

I saw the one outside Killarney about 10 years ago and it was a white one.Knowing the man who owns it I would be quite certain that it is still there.I hope to call to him over christmas so I will ask him about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭GL scrappy

Same one as on the previous page, scanned from a photo taken at some car show way back
    23w205c.jpg
    I had wondered about the zv reg too, must have traveled a bit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 standing

hi there i'm trying to find the shamrock car near enniscorthy can you tell me where it is? i live up near gorey and would love to see it..?
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

not sure about the looks of the Thunderbird but it definitely appears to have early 50s Nash Rambler from the front. That same ugly front seems to have also come from the early Reliant Regal...... :)
    http://www.3wheelers.com/regal.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

GL scrappy wrote: »
    Same one as on the previous page, scanned from a photo taken at some car show way back
    23w205c.jpg
    I had wondered about the zv reg too, must have traveled a bit?

Theres an article on Paddy Byrne and this Shamrock in the latest edition of Irish Vintage Scene, he has 2 Shamrocks and ZV3216 will be at Terenure, weather permitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭w124man

Was there not a car called a 'Silver Streak' made in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

I think it may be the silver stream you are talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭w124man

kev1.3s wrote: »
    I think it may be the silver stream you are talking about?

Thats the one! I saw it in the Museum in Killarney. Was that not Irish built?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

The Silver Stream had Kildares first registration IO1 if i remember rightly, i think it stayed in Ireland after the auction, though i dont know where it went to. One serious motor!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

The Silver Stream had Kildares first registration IO1 if i remember rightly, i think it stayed in Ireland after the auction, though i dont know where it went to. One serious motor!

Did it feature on a postage stamp at some time?? or am I dreaming?
    Centenary maybe???

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭Silvera

The 'Silver Stream' was built near Kilcullen, Co. Kildare around c.1907.

It was on display in the museum in Killarney until its closure some years ago. It was subsequently purchased at auction in the UK by an Irish collector. (I presume its locked away somewhere in a private collection in Ireland?)

It does indeed bear Co. Kildare's first registration plate - 'IO 1'
    And it did feature on a postage stamp in 1989...I have a couple of sets of same tucked away ;)

561B6ED0BA7C39E56623E9D868C.jpg

1DD960CBA55FB87196AAE6219D2591.jpg

A couple of Shamrock photos found on the net

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Ballykine43

The Shamrock was at Terenure yesterday. Have a look at Blue 850s photos in the Terenure thread.

Advertisement