Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fishing in beara, west cork

• 10-03-2014 1:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭

So im moving ti beara in west cork for work for the next 8 months. I worked the last year for 4 months and i really enjoyed the fishing. I caught alot of mackrel and pollock

This year im hoping to get differant species. I have plenty of lures and ill use bait aswell as trying diff marks

Ive attached a pic of my lures, what you guys think??
    Ill keep this thread updated and let yous know how i get on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭danbrosnan

Never mind the beara come across the water to the dingle peninsula! Lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭beano345

So im moving ti beara in west cork for work for the next 8 months. I worked the last year for 4 months and i really enjoyed the fishing. I caught alot of mackrel and pollock

This year im hoping to get differant species. I have plenty of lures and ill use bait aswell as trying diff marks

Ive attached a pic of my lures, what you guys think??
    Ill keep this thread updated and let yous know how i get on

That black minnow lure You have is supposed to be killer for bass.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭.red.

I dont know the area but your in for a treat. Ive been meaning to head down for a long time now but never have, this year maybe.
    There are huge pollack and wrasse about the place to the lures and should be plenty of macks about too.
    If your into chucking a bait then there are rays, congers, huss, and dogs amongst others to keep you occupied. There was even a shark thought to be well over 500lbs hooked there last year but they couldnt land it.
    Make sure your gear is upto scratch. The fish can be big and the ground dirty so rods and reels need to be able to cope with a bit of abuse.
    A lot of marks are very deep so will need a bit of weight to get down, no point in fishing a weedless softie if it will take an age to get to where the pollack are.
    Try to make contact with paul harris in adrigole, he runs a b&b called dromgowlane house and has a small tackle shop. The guy is a gent and will give you plenty of info. He knows the place like the back of his hand.
    Look up "totaly awsome fishing" on youtube. They have a few videos of fishing in the beara from when they stayed with paul. They might drive you a tad mad with their enthusiasm but its worth watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭monty_python

beano345 wrote: »
    That black minnow lure You have is supposed to be killer for bass.
    ive read that before. its 20g's too so i should be able to cast it further thatn the hard plastic lures
    .red. wrote: »
    I dont know the area but your in for a treat. Ive been meaning to head down for a long time now but never have, this year maybe.
    There are huge pollack and wrasse about the place to the lures and should be plenty of macks about too.
    If your into chucking a bait then there are rays, congers, huss, and dogs amongst others to keep you occupied. There was even a shark thought to be well over 500lbs hooked there last year but they couldnt land it.
    Make sure your gear is upto scratch. The fish can be big and the ground dirty so rods and reels need to be able to cope with a bit of abuse.
    A lot of marks are very deep so will need a bit of weight to get down, no point in fishing a weedless softie if it will take an age to get to where the pollack are.
    Try to make contact with paul harris in adrigole, he runs a b&b called dromgowlane house and has a small tackle shop. The guy is a gent and will give you plenty of info. He knows the place like the back of his hand.
    Look up "totaly awsome fishing" on youtube. They have a few videos of fishing in the beara from when they stayed with paul. They might drive you a tad mad with their enthusiasm but its worth watching.
    unfortunately ive only got a cheapy rod and reel, i lost a few big pollock last year due to my line breaking. hopwfully ill be able to replace it with a better rod and reel after a few weeks

unfortunately ive only got a cheapy rod and reel, i lost a few big pollock last year due to my line breaking. hopwfully ill be able to replace it with a better rod and reel after a few weeks

If you can only afford to replace one at a time then change the reel first. Youd be surprised how quick a cheap reel will go when pulling in pollack or wrasse from deep water.
    Have a look out online for a 2nd hand rod. You dont need to spend huge money even buying new but theres usually good value to be had if buying used. Something with a 15-50g casting weight would be ideal for down there.
    Get some floats too, theres only one thing better than watching a float bob about in the tide and thats watching it dissappear with a beast hanging off the hook.

• Advertisement

Did you move down yet? Any fishing?

im here 2 weeks now, unfortunatly i couldnt bring the rod because i had to get the bus down and had 3 bags with me.

im getting the rod and lures delivered down at easter so ill be heading out fishing then
    ive been told about 2 good spots, one of which is said to produce nice sized bass :)

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭mattcullen

lucky man! lovely part of the world. Second the recomendation to talk to Paul Harriss. Nice bloke and really helpfull and easy going

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Budawanny

im here 2 weeks now, unfortunatly i couldnt bring the rod because i had to get the bus down and had 3 bags with me.

im getting the rod and lures delivered down at easter so ill be heading out fishing then
    ive been told about 2 good spots, one of which is said to produce nice sized bass :)

good luck with it. I reckon there will be fresh fish all season!

You left your gear behind? Id have packed them first and left clothes and shoes after me lol.

• Advertisement

.red. wrote: »
    You left your gear behind? Id have packed them first and left clothes and shoes after me lol.

I had all my work uniforms and tools aswell!!!!

The boss gave me an old reel today its a good strong sturdy yoke so im delighted with that
    A local lad lent me a rod so if the weather clears up ill go out with a bit of mackrel bait on tuesday or wensday!!!

I got out for a half hours fishing yesterday along a beach which is supposed to be good for bass.
    I didnt catch anything and was disapointed with my lures. They where only casting 10ish yards. The guy in the shop i bought them said i wouldnt need a weight with them but it looks like i will

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭mattcullen

I got out for a half hours fishing yesterday along a beach which is supposed to be good for bass.
    I didnt catch anything and was disapointed with my lures. They where only casting 10ish yards. The guy in the shop i bought them said i wouldnt need a weight with them but it looks like i will

Sounds as though the lures are a bit light for the set up you have? Check your rod to see what weight it's most suited to casting and see does it suit the weight of the lures you're using. Also if you're using a heavy diameter line that will reduce casting distance.

20 lb braid would be a good bet for lure fishing for bass or 10 lb mono maybe if you don't have braid.

If your gear is on the heavy side you may struggle to cast light soft plastics or plugs. Try some savage gear sandeels or Kilty lures maybe and just try and reel enough to keep them clear of snags.

If you're afetr pollock try the set up described here http://www.anirishanglersworld.com/index.php/media/jelly-worms-for-shore-pollack/

Cast out, let it sink (important) and straight slow enough retrieve. Don't strike when they pluck at the lure let them take it properly.

All the best. Lovely part of the world

sorry for not updating sooner guys :o

ive been alot busier in work than expected so ive only been able to get out fishing 5/6 times (i dont drive so im walking/bumming a lift to the best spots)

ive made plans to go out on a boat on monday and ive been promised big fish!!!!!!!!!!

thats the good news, bads news ive only landed 1 mackrel and 9/10 small pollock and broke my reel and a local guys reel and rod!

i

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

sorry for not updating sooner guys :o

ive been alot busier in work than expected so ive only been able to get out fishing 5/6 times (i dont drive so im walking/bumming a lift to the best spots)

ive made plans to go out on a boat on monday and ive been promised big fish!!!!!!!!!!

thats the good news, bads news ive only landed 1 mackrel and 9/10 small pollock and broke my reel and a local guys reel and rod!

i

Where are you based? I'm planning a trip down there early next month, we could meet up and you could show me a few spots :cool:

How did you get on with on the boat?

Where are you based? I'm planning a trip down there early next month, we could meet up and you could show me a few spots :cool:

How did you get on with on the boat?

boat trip isnt until tomorro

ill pm you my location

not a great day on the boat

4 pollock, 1 cookoo wrasse and a conger

no mackrel around yet, its not a great year for fishing

i got a bucket of shrimp from a shrimp pot one of the lads had at the end of the peir :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

not a great day on the boat

4 pollock, 1 cookoo wrasse and a conger

no mackrel around yet, its not a great year for fishing

Could be worse, all I ended up with was a rockling the size of a Mars bar. Thought it was kelp on the line

6mkmWy.jpg

Here is the wrasse

• Advertisement

a local man gave me a handmade lobster pot today and he is going to show me some deep water rock marks to cast it from.

ive struck gold lads :D

here is the lobster pot

another angle of the pot

7 macks in 20 mins from the rocks and 2 crab in the pot.

LOADS of pollock and a codling from a boat last week

The fishing is picking up now

Excellent.

so lovely pollock today with some macks inbetween, biggest was 8lb caught close to the bottom with 5" jelly eels
    ive no pics because i was busy fishing :pac:

so lovely pollock today with some macks inbetween, biggest was 8lb caught close to the bottom with 5" jelly eels
    ive no pics because i was busy fishing :pac:

thats the shtyle!

Biggest fish I've ever caught.
    I got him trolling with an otter board and an 8" jointed sprat

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭danbrosnan

Great stuff!!!

• Advertisement

A nice 8 lb pollock that I caught yesterday on a light spinning rod. Great fun pulling him in. There doesn't seem to be anything else out there but pollock

Advertisement