Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did You ever vote Fianna Fail?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,939 ✭✭✭✭looksee

No never, right back to the early 70's. In latter years hubby was voting FF so I would just have to go and vote to cancel his!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭patwicklow

No Always knew they were corrupt to the core and really pleasing now to see the FF party were it belongs in the sewer, and hope its banished of the face of the earth like the PD,S now the would be icing on the cake.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Foghladh

I voted Fianna Fail in 2002 and 2007. I didn't in the last election though because I figured a change was due. FG got my vote on that occasion.
    If I felt that they had some policies that appealed to me in the future I don't see that I'd rule them out just for the sake of it. I'll reserve judgement on my next vote until the time comes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

lugha wrote: »
    They were largely delivering to everyone.

No they weren't. They weren't delivering sound governance, sustainable administarion, or prudent management of the economy, which is what I was looking for.
    They were voted in by the majority whether you like it or not.

Actually you're wrong here. Fianna Fail haven't gained an overall majority in a general election since 1977, and even then only 46% of the population voted for them. That figure has diminished in the past two decades, so that in 1997, 2002, and 2007, the party received the support of 39%, 41%, and 41% of the electorate respectively. The party has consistently received a plurality of the vote, but never a majority of the vote.

65% of the respondents to this thread's poll claim never to have voted for Fianna Fail. Considering that historically, Fianna Fail have never received more than 43% of the vote, meaning that 60% do not vote for the party in each election, the number here who claim never to have voted for the party is not that outlandinsh, especially as the denizens of the boards political forum might be considered to be somewhat more discerning than their counterparts in the rest of society.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

They were largely delivering to everyone. At the height of the boom there was enough money swilling around to enable them to do so.

Not really enough money, if you're (by you, I mean FF) basing your projections on a property bubble. The money isn't going to last forever.
    And in any case, when were the Irish electorate, or any other one, wise enough to realize that pre-election political promises are not necessarily honoured?

It happens all the time. I presume it's a fairly well-known tactic from any party hoping to go into government.
    There was some corruption and certainly is was tolerated more in FF than other parties. But its contribution to our current crisis is grossly overstated.

Had FF been a squeaky clean, ethical party I think we would be largely in the same place now as we currently are.

Definitely: in that the larger economic crisis would have affected us, and that the major parties all largely follow the same economic understanding. I do, however, think the 'brown envelope' culture which was so endemic in FF helped to inflate the property bubble, and so was made worse by the party being in government being more open to that way of doing things.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Happy Monday

Einhard wrote: »
    Neither FG nor Labour stated in their manifestos that they would burn bondholders. Some individual candidates made off the cuff remarks along those lines that they shouldn't have, but neithe party claimed that theyt would seek anything other than to renogitiate the deal FF signed with the troika. It's your perogative to exercise your mandate based on the remarks of a tiny minority of candidates rather than a considered assessment of the party position, but you shouldn't then claimt o be surprised when your expercations aren't delivered upon.

http://www.finegael2011.com/pdf/Fine%20Gael%20Manifesto%20low-res.pdf

Unilateral burning of junior bondholders stated on this link - search bondholders.

Lies, damned lies and Fine Gael/Labour.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Border-Rat

I've never voted. I'll strategically vote for Sinn Fein when the time is right (And I know a lot of people who are similar). However despite being North of the border, I can say despite hating FF I would also have seriously considered strategically supporting them if they were serious when they once gestured a move up here. I believe in an end to partition obviously as a priority.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

FG/Labour
    Lies, lack of ethics and corruption.

Who is corrupt in the current Government parties please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

MOD NOTE:

Just a friendly reminder that this thread has been moved from AH to Politics. Please take note. If you are unsure of the posting norms in Politics, there is a quick and dirty version of the charter available here.

As a reminder, personal abuse is not acceptable anywhere on this website.

If you have any questions, or are unsure about anything, please PM a moderator.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Eggy Baby!

I've never voted before.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

No they weren't. They weren't delivering sound governance, sustainable administarion, or prudent management of the economy, which is what I was looking for.

Perhaps you were. And indeed, there were some isolated voices, usually academic or professional ones who wanted this. But the great unwashed did not. They had high wages, low taxes and exploding property prices which was going to make them very rich. Happy out.

Of course there are a substantial number of people who now realise that they should have wanted prudent management of the economy during the boom years, which is not altogether the same thing.

No doubt the denial that the people had any role in our economic demise will continue. Unfortunately, election results are a matter of record so the self delusion (presumably!) must at some point stop.
    Not really enough money, if you're (by you, I mean FF) basing your projections on a property bubble. The money isn't going to last forever.

Of course not. And for me, this was the single greatest failure of the FF years. But there was enough money to do almost anything in the short term. And like bread eaten, bread yet to be baked has negligible value as a political currency.
    I do, however, think the 'brown envelope' culture which was so endemic in FF helped to inflate the property bubble, and so was made worse by the party being in government being more open to that way of doing things.

I don’t agree, had the CIF followed Bertie around constantly poking him with a stick and calling him a fat fool I doubt the latter would be any less supportive of the construction industry. After all FF were the greater political winners (as well as losers ultimately!) during the boom years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

johngalway wrote: »
    Who is corrupt in the current Government parties please?
    Are you familiar with the Mahon report?

Enda Kenny has refused to say whether his councillors named as corrupt and/ or criticised in the Mahon report will be expelled from the Fine Gael party. Unlike Micheal Martin who advocated expulsion for corrupt FFers, Kenny refused to express an opinion when drawn.

It was quite unfortunate for him to pose for a photograph with Denis O'Brien earlier in the week too, while we're on the subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

later12 wrote: »

Enda Kenny has refused to say whether his councillors named as corrupt and/ or criticised in the Mahon report will be expelled from the Fine Gael party. Unlike Micheal Martin who advocated expulsion for corrupt FFers, Kenny refused to express an opinion when drawn.

It was quite unfortunate for him to pose for a photograph with Denis O'Brien earlier in the week too, while we're on the subject.

Hardly an indication of corruption in the current Government. Martin has done nothing yet, Ahern saved him having to wield the axe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭plasmaguy

Voted once in 1997 for anyone but FF.

Never voted since, waste of time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    Hardly an indication of corruption in the current Government. Martin has done nothing yet, Ahern saved him having to wield the axe.
    I didn't say it was an indication of current corruption. The poster asked who in the government parties are corrupt. The answer is in the Mahon report, if the poster accepts its findings.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

Never voted for them and I never will, and as for the notion that we all went along with it in the good times- this is just not true. A large minority were sick to the core with the goings on in this country but other than campaigning and voting responsibly there is'nt much one can do- that is the nature of democracy.

As for the oft-stated idea that the other crowd would have behaved no differently, there is no evidence for this .As a matter of fact there is some indicators to the contrary - the Fitzgerald and Bruton governments did'nt follow the CJH model so why would later versions follow the Bertie model ?

To say that the endemic corruption did'nt contribute to the boom and bust of our economy is just unbelievable- of course it did. More people need to read that report .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

later12 wrote: »

I'm familiar with it in that I know it exists.

marienbad wrote: »
    and as for the notion that we all went along with it in the good times- this is just not true.
    It certainly is not true that everybody got swept along by the allure of the tiger years. But neither is it true that a sizable majority were unduly concerned about the minutia of managing the economy when things were going well for them. It is on this latter point that there is complete denial.
    To say that the endemic corruption did'nt contribute to the boom and bust of our economy is just unbelievable- of course it did. More people need to read that report .
    Well the phenomena of boom and bust will be observed whether there is corruption or not. But how specifically did corruption facility our housing boom? Once we had the ingredients of cheap credit and lax regulation, all we had to do was stand back and let it happen.

For example, how specifically did the alleged corrupt activities of Flynn in pocketing Gilmartin’s political donation contribute to the boom?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

It certainly is not true that everybody got swept along by the allure of the tiger years. But neither is it true that a sizable majority were unduly concerned about the minutia of managing the economy when things were going well for them. It is on this latter point that there is complete denial.

Well the phenomena of boom and bust will be observed whether there is corruption or not. But how specifically did corruption facility our housing boom? Once we had the ingredients of cheap credit and lax regulation, all we had to do was stand back and let it happen.

For example, how specifically did the alleged corrupt activities of Flynn in pocketing Gilmartin’s political donation contribute to the boom?

For one thing inflating house prices through the process of artificially created landbanks that in turn were created by currupt rezoning. And to take your specific example - it showed at a relatively early stage that favours could be bought.

Further more the ''lax regulation'' it could be argued was a result of the nod and wink culture that had been created by the Galway Tent mentality.

Remember back to the astonishing appearance of the former head of the Revenue before a Dail commitee and when asked why did CJH more or less get a free pass on his tax affairs and the reply along the llines of we all have to swim in the same waters.

I said a sizable of minority were concered and getting more so after 2004.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

If I were trying to act high and mighty I'd have tried to deny that I voted FF but there's no point in lying. I have no intention of backing down from anything.

They were voted in by the majority whether you like it or not. Perhaps you didn't vote them, but many of those claiming they didn't have to have done so or FF would not have been in government for 17 years.

It's not high and mighty finger wagging.....it's the truth, it's logic.

You originally claimed that 'most if not all voted for them". Now you say 'many'. Thats backing down that is!!!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

No Pat Carey always ran for them in my area,didn't like him so i didn't vote for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Perhaps you were. And indeed, there were some isolated voices, usually academic or professional ones who wanted this. But the great unwashed did not. They had high wages, low taxes and exploding property prices which was going to make them very rich. Happy out.

I don't think the voices were as isolated as you make out. As I mentioned earlier, the proportion of the population who didn't vote for Fiann Fail in the last 15 years is as high as 60%, so I don't think it's fair to claim that those of us who were concerned at their gorss maladministration were miniscule in number.
    Of course there are a substantial number of people who now realise that they should have wanted prudent management of the economy during the boom years, which is not altogether the same thing.

I'd change that to a substantial number of Fianna Fail voters who now realise this.
    No doubt the denial that the people had any role in our economic demise will continue.

Yes, it will. But the denial must needs come from those who actually voted for Fianna Fail and ensured they stayed in power. I'm not sure how those who actively voted against FF can share too much of the political responsibility for our current woes.
    Unfortunately, election results are a matter of record so the self delusion (presumably!) must at some point stop.

They are a matter of record. And, as the record shows, only about 40% of those who voted between 1997 and 2007 voted for Fianna Fail.

I don't think the voices were as isolated as you make out. As I mentioned earlier, the proportion of the population who didn't vote for Fiann Fail in the last 15 years is as high as 60%
    They are a matter of record. And, as the record shows, only about 40% of those who voted between 1997 and 2007 voted for Fianna Fail
    This misuse of statistics seems to me to be quite prevalent in politics. 40% support for a party in a many party political system is very impressive. It can be made to appear much less so by pointing out that 60% did not! And of course, you cannot by any stretch, argue that a sizable portion of those 60% were concerned about, or even aware of, the impending danger.

It will be challenged by some, but it seems quite likely to me that FG or Labour would have exploited the property bubble had they the chance. A lot of good could have been done with the waves of cash flowing around. And it should not be forgotten that there was an element of bad luck in the bursting of our bubble. It might have ended different and had it done so, there would be little talk now about the reckless management of FF.

And of course, it wasn’t just people’s political decision. Anyone who availed of cheap credit to flip a property, indeed anyone who availed of cheap credit, period, can hardly claim now to be guilt free.
    I'd change that to a substantial number of Fianna Fail voters who now realise this.
    Again, I would question whether a sizable number of FG and Labour supporters should not be included in that number.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭john reilly

i have done and may well do again depending on the individual candidates. realistically f.f was the biggest party and f.g the next biggest and a vote for lab was a vote for f.g and vice versa. f.f and f.g were pretty much the same bar their views on n.ireland. with f.f you had some aspiration of a united ireland or at least the nationalist people of the six counties had some voice. with f.g there was no pretence that they give a fu.k about nationalists. while the peace process was under way john bruton was a short while in power, but long enough to derail the process. this was down to the old f.g policy of apoligising to unionist and taking their side. when the unionist had enough people on their side, it was the duty of the irish goverment to fight for the interests of the irish people. they didnt do that when faced with the british goverment in the seventies, eighties and nineties. they are now doing the same against the germans and french. long story short f.f got elected because of poor opposition

• Registered Users Posts: 16,188 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Yeah i voted FF. And despite all the talk from FG and Lab in the last election do you know how many of them showed up at my door, or my neighbours doors? That would be none. Obviously they felt they didnt need our votes.The local FF guy showed up, nice man and he got my vote. Im amazed lots of people seem to be turning to SF. Their policies are looney to say the least and Adams has been very secretive about his past.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Wider Road

LOL, I love the title of this thread.
    The party that has won most seats & elections in the history of the state. Maybe it should be moved back to After Hours!

Yes, I have voted FF.

For one thing inflating house prices through the process of artificially created landbanks that in turn were created by currupt rezoning. And to take your specific example - it showed at a relatively early stage that favours could be bought.

There certainly was that problem in the early years of the boom, surprising to recall, but there was a chronic housing shortage in the early years. But as more and more land was rezoned for residential use the appetite for acquiring houses and their prices only went one way. That would suggest to me that while the way the land banks were held back was done to try and drive up the price, it turned out to be unnecessary. I think the boom would have happened without the corruption.
    Further more the ''lax regulation'' it could be argued was a result of the nod and wink culture that had been created by the Galway Tent mentality.

The regulation surely had more to do with the financial sector rather than the construction one? In any case, I would say this was in the interests of the government (as well as the financial sector) and should probably be filed more under poor, or even reckless management, rather than corruption.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭ambid

Never have voted FF and never will.

FF destroyed the economy of this country and handed away our sovreignty.

Tribunals have found their leaders since Haughey to have, at best, been dishonest and untrustworthy.

I hope they collapse like the PDs before them and never again darken this country.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

No, never voted for FF, despite what many of you thought/think.

Advertisement