Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hybrid Alarm Recommendation

• 30-07-2010 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭

First off, great to have separate forum finally for security!

I'm looking for a hybrid alarm system i.e. capable of taking wired zones (about 8 zones) and communicating with wireless sensors. Reason for this is I would like to add shock and reed sensors to non-wired areas. The house is wired to receive PIR's and keypads (6 core CAT3 type).
    I'd be grateful for a system recommendation. This will be a self install without monitoring, but will autodial several numbers on alarm activation. I'm competent on the wiring end of things.

I'm currently looking at this option: From reading forum, appears Europlex Signet is a hybrid with on-board receiver; who would sell this to me as a self install system at a price to justify a self install?

Appreciate any assistance.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,637 ✭✭✭✭altor

Zilog wrote: »
    First off, great to have separate forum finally for security!

I'm looking for a hybrid alarm system i.e. capable of taking wired zones (about 8 zones) and communicating with wireless sensors. Reason for this is I would like to add shock and reed sensors to non-wired areas. The house is wired to receive PIR's and keypads (6 core CAT3 type).
    I'd be grateful for a system recommendation. This will be a self install without monitoring, but will autodial several numbers on alarm activation. I'm competent on the wiring end of things.

I'm currently looking at this option: From reading forum, appears Europlex Signet is a hybrid with on-board receiver; who would sell this to me as a self install system at a price to justify a self install?

Appreciate any assistance.

HKC and the SIGNET have the receiver built in to the panel. Shopping around is the best thing to do to get prices. You will get a list of suppliers here. It will always work out cheaper with a self install.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Here is the SigNET brochure if you want to have a look over it.
    That & Securewave are both good systems. My opinion would be SigNET has a few more features.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Zilog

Thanks for the replies Altor and Koolkid.

Do you have experience of these systems? Looking at Europlex link from Koolkid the Signet 100 seems suitable for domestic with plenty of zones. Have ethernet network, but hooking to network seems overkill (and I like connecting things together!! :D ).

What is equivalent HKC to Signet? Which system has the least expensive sensors? Appreciate it if anyone has done this legwork already!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Have experience with both SigNET & HKC Securewave (Which would be the HKC equivalent . Costwise they are pretty much the same.
    My personal preference would be towards the SigNET , I think it is more modern & has some nice features over HKC.

Thanks for that Koolkid, either would meet my requirements.

Will HKC and Europlex sell directly to the 'public' (i.e. not a professional alarm installer)?
    If not I'd be grateful for a pointer in the right direction to save a few calls!

Thank you.

• Advertisement

Sell directly to the public?
    I am still trying to get Europlex to sell directly to me.;)

Reliable Security
    Unit 2-3 Cian Park Ind. Estate
    Druncondra
    Dublin 9
    Ph 01 837 2445
    www.rspl.ie

These do both SigNET & HKC

Hah! :p Thanks for the contact Koolkid.

Zilog wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies Altor and Koolkid.

Do you have experience of these systems? Looking at Europlex link from Koolkid the Signet 100 seems suitable for domestic with plenty of zones. Have ethernet network, but hooking to network seems overkill (and I like connecting things together!! :D ).

What is equivalent HKC to Signet? Which system has the least expensive sensors? Appreciate it if anyone has done this legwork already!

Your welcome,

Yes, both would do the same job. The HKC has 10 on board zones, signet 100 has 8, both can have expanders if you did need the extra zones for your wired devices.

Price wise they are pretty much the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭Jnealon

Another recommendation here for the Signet.
    The Texecom kit in the original post isn't bad either but I would use their own Ricochet wireless instead of the esp.
    I would even say that the Ricochet wireless kit is better than the Signet wireless

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭tapest

altor wrote: »
    HKC and the SIGNET have the receiver built in to the panel. Shopping around is the best thing to do to get prices. You will get a list of suppliers here. It will always work out cheaper with a self install.

"HKC and the SIGNET have the receiver built in to the panel"
    Altor...it's me again
    Sorry for butting in, What would be needed to introduce a pendant PA to the HKC 8/12. if the receiver is already build in??
    regards
    t

tapest wrote: »
    "HKC and the SIGNET have the receiver built in to the panel"
    Altor...it's me again
    Sorry for butting in, What would be needed to introduce a pendant PA to the HKC 8/12. if the receiver is already build in??
    regards
    t

The new HKC secure wave has a built in receiver that you can install 70 wire free devices into. The 8/12 does not but you could install a quick bridge if you have a free zone in the panel.

The new HKC secure wave has a built in receiver that you can install 70 wire free devices into. The 8/12 does not but you could install a quick bridge if you have a free zone in the panel.

Thanks for info....yet again
    regards
    t

tapest wrote: »
    Thanks for info....yet again
    regards
    t

Your welcome t,
    I also sent you info regarding the quick bridge, I hope it helps :D

Jnealon wrote: »
    The Texecom kit in the original post isn't bad either but I would use their own Ricochet wireless instead of the esp.
    Thanks Jnealon,

The only reason I was 'mixing and matching' is that there seemed to be much greater variety of ESP wireless sensors and they were significantly cheaper!
    However, much prefer to stay local where possible for kit unless I feel I'm really being ripped off!!

Your welcome t,
    I also sent you info regarding the quick bridge, I hope it helps :D

Thanks...will have to study that....either these things are getting more complicated or I'm getting even more dumb....Kindly refrain from comment(lol). did notice iy's not HKC
    t

I wont say a word :D

Easy enough to do, if you need any help doing this i will talk you through it ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Thunderbird2

sorry for going off track..can u have a wired keypad and sabb on the hkc secure wave? just wired the house and found i cant get wires to the sunroom so am using both wired and wireless but want the keypad and sabb wired

sorry for going off track..can u have a wired keypad and sabb on the hkc secure wave? just wired the house and found i cant get wires to the sunroom so am using both wired and wireless but want the keypad and sabb wired

Yes you can.

thanks Altor..does anyone know how much the hybrid panel would cost? and would i need any extras to connect the keypad and sabb :D:)

• Advertisement

thanks Altor..does anyone know how much the hybrid panel would cost? and would i need any extras to connect the keypad and sabb :D:)

Your welcome,

Panel comes with keypad. Best thing to do is ring suppliers. Here is a list.
    All you will need is to buy the panel, external, internal bell, battery and what ever sensors you need. The keypad comes with the panel. If you want to self monitor the alarm you will need a DTV dialer.

sorry its me again.just bought the hkc 8/12 zone panel.didnt know it didnt include the bak up batt! do u just connet the panel to 250v power supply as there is a fuse located in the panel. and what is the best way to wire the inertia/reed sensors? and what price should i be paying for the gsm unit? any help is appreciated, i know a good bit about electronics but dont want to mess this up!! :D:)

sorry its me again.just bought the hkc 8/12 zone panel.didnt know it didnt include the bak up batt! do u just connet the panel to 250v power supply as there is a fuse located in the panel. and what is the best way to wire the inertia/reed sensors? and what price should i be paying for the gsm unit? any help is appreciated, i know a good bit about electronics but dont want to mess this up!! :D:)

The securewave is there newest panel.
    The power should go into a 3 AMP fused spur then into the panel.

If you want some wiring diagrams look here.

For pricing its always best to shop around, here is a list of suppliers.

forgot to mention i got a wired alarm it has a fuse in it 250ma so just connect it to 13 amps??:confused:

forgot to mention i got a wired alarm it has a fuse in it 250ma so just connect it to 13 amps??:confused:

The HKC 8/12 has 8 wired zones on the board, the Secure Wave has 10.
    The proper way to connect the alarm to the power is through a 3AMP fused spur.

thanks for the help..is it ok to connect it to a plug with a 3 amp fuse temporarily?:D really appreciate the help have three sensors up and running since u last helped me:)

thanks for the help..is it ok to connect it to a plug with a 3 amp fuse temporarily?:D really appreciate the help have three sensors up and running since u last helped me:)

It is not advisable to wire it this way but with a self install there are no rules and regulation.

Advertisement