Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

US woman fined $222,000 for..

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Good.
    Now that it's been established that the fine for copyright infringment in the music sector is just under $1,000 per incident,
    when can we expect SONY & First4Internet to pay for LAME open source software that was pirated and put on millions of CD's ??

nah what this clearly established that the fine for any infringement charged with, regardless of whether actually proven or not, is proportionally related to the income of the prosecutions legal team.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Lemming wrote:
    The problem with this standard procedure MM, is that in the case of the RIAAfia, they aren't applying due care to whom they "select" for threatening behaviour, and their investigative (to use that word incredibly loosely) methods could be bettered by a 10 year old child. Thus, there are many people who are completely innocent being coerced and intimidated, i.e. extortion is taking place. And now, given what this incredibly f*cktarded judge (whom I suspect has a hand in the pocket of certain .. "lobbying" organisations), even if you are innocent you cannot contest these cases because you are guilty until proven innocent and the courts aren't listening to what you have to say.

You're making a couple of pretty couragous assertions there.

Firstly, their investigative methods were obviously sufficient to win in a jury trial. If you're saying that a 10-year-old could have done that, then it seems likely that the infringement was pretty darned flagrant and the case was a slam-dunk in which case, frankly, she should have settled. On what is your claim of non-bias on the part of the judge based? And obviously she had the ability to contest the case as it went to a jury trial, and it seems a jury of her peers decided she was wrong in the eyes of the law as well. Where is the coercion on innocent people? Either you're making intellectual property freely available without the owners' permission, or you're not.

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 30,024 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Your one has done her first interview since the verdict, on cnn website, think she says she'll appeal

Manic Moran there having cases brought against them when they havn't even downloaded the software. have a read of this. dropped because of the public backlash mainly, and also this . The RIAA have basically shown they'd sue God himself if they thought they'd get away with it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

dropped because of the public backlash mainly

Reading those articles, it seems to me that they were dropped because it they had the wrong people. Isn't that the way it's supposed to work?

NTM

• Advertisement

Reading those articles, it seems to me that they were dropped because it they had the wrong people. Isn't that the way it's supposed to work?

NTM

yes and no. in the case of Ward, the case was dropped because she clearly didn't fit the stereotypical profile of a file sharer. if she was 30 years younger, all other things being equal, the outcome in my opinion would almost certainly have not been the same. and that's the issue for me: why is evidence that isn't even good enough to bring a case to court in some instances, more than acceptable to garner a successful case by the RIAA in other instances?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 950 ✭✭✭EamonnKeane

How is Kazaa or BearShare any different to a library? If I wrote a novel, and a library loaned it out a dozen times, I would only get royalties for that one copy. Stop illegal book-sharing now!

How is Kazaa or BearShare any different to a library? If I wrote a novel, and a library loaned it out a dozen times, I would only get royalties for that one copy. Stop illegal book-sharing now!

The main differences are that a Library
    Purchase the book,
    Retain ownership of the book
    Lend the book for a period of time
    The borrower reads the book
    The borrower does not save a copy of the book
    The borrower does not allow others to make additional copies of the book etc
    The borrower returns the book
    The library lends out the book again.

The music industry are making a big mistake in targetting file sharers as potential music buyers are less likely buy online but instead just save streaming audio and not share it.

It wil not encourage people to buy legitimate music just to find other ways to get around the "system"

Edit: easier to read.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Kazaa and BearShare and the like do not pay any royalties whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Terry wrote:
    Kazaa and BearShare and the like do not pay any royalties whatsoever.

I think the point was that somewhere along the line the song was bought.
    In a library, does the book cost much more for the library to buy? Something like the videoshop idea?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

You're making a couple of pretty couragous assertions there.

Firstly, their investigative methods were obviously sufficient to win in a jury trial. If you're saying that a 10-year-old could have done that, then it seems likely that the infringement was pretty darned flagrant and the case was a slam-dunk in which case, frankly, she should have settled. On what is your claim of non-bias on the part of the judge based? And obviously she had the ability to contest the case as it went to a jury trial, and it seems a jury of her peers decided she was wrong in the eyes of the law as well. Where is the coercion on innocent people? Either you're making intellectual property freely available without the owners' permission, or you're not.

NTM

Actually MM, the RIAAfia's "investigative" methods are well documented and the flaws have been widely discussed in tech circles. There are gaping holes in much of their methodology and very little credible proof on the integrity therein. A case was dismissed in Europe over this because the defence team was clued in to the implications. This has yet to happen in the US, and of course, the courts seem to find words coming from whomever has the largest paycheck lawyer most credible it would seem. The RIAAfia are also known to have a large warchest for lobbying, and they do - both politicians and senior justidiciary.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

enda1 wrote:
    I think the point was that somewhere along the line the song was bought.
    In a library, does the book cost much more for the library to buy? Something like the videoshop idea?
    No.

Actually in some cases like the copyright library in Trinity they get the book free.

Can the RIAA guarantee that when the DRM'd music goes public domain in years to come, they will have copies of the music to distribute ?

Advertisement