Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Saturday Night Show (Audience Query).

• 23-10-2014 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

My Friend got some tickets to be in the audience at the Saturday night show. Not a fan of the show, but looking forward to getting out of the house for a few hours...just wondering if anyone out there has gone to see it before what what did ye think?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

I too am not a fan of the show but went along out of curiosity once. It was an experience, quite interesting seeing a live show in the flesh. But other than that......ugh. You get let into some overcrowded side area where you have some free cheap wine and softdrinks for an hour. You then get brought into the studio, where a comedian(who also comes on during the breaks) warms up the crowd.

The show itself is even worse in the flesh, you are forced to listen to the z-listers. And then they might even have a misery story like we had, causing half the crowd to leave in tears.

We also got no freebies. I wouldn't go back if you paid me.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Here's my trip report from last May

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=90440029&postcount=172
    Skid X wrote: »
    It was nice to see the show in the flesh last night ... all the guests were decent. It goes by very quickly. Anna Nolan came across very well, like someone you'd like to hang out with.

It's interesting to see the background activities, like the Floor Manager creeping around behind the shot telling Brendan how long he has left for each interview. Brendan is very personable, asking us to laugh at the jokes even though they probably aren't funny :)

We got tickets for Bloom, I would have preferred a few bottle of the O'Hara's Stout but it's all good.

It's an enjoyable night out. It's easy enough to get tickets so if you like the show and can get to RTE on a Saturday Night, give them a shout (probably fully booked for this season, maybe when it comes back in September)

Despite my best efforts I don't think I got on camera :o Next time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

This week at least you'll get to watch Panti choose her words carefully!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 KateSk8

I too am not a fan of the show but went along out of curiosity once. It was an experience, quite interesting seeing a live show in the flesh. But other than that......ugh. You get let into some overcrowded side area where you have some free cheap wine and softdrinks for an hour. You then get brought into the studio, where a comedian(who also comes on during the breaks) warms up the crowd.

The show itself is even worse in the flesh, you are forced to listen to the z-listers. And then they might even have a misery story like we had, causing half the crowd to leave in tears.

We also got no freebies. I wouldn't go back if you paid me.

omg this is so funny...that u!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 KateSk8

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    This week at least you'll get to watch Panti choose her words carefully!

im gonna sound like a dumbass but whos Panti?

• Advertisement

KateSk8 wrote: »
    im gonna sound like a dumbass but whos Panti?

Panti is the drag alter ego of Rory O'Neill.

Rory was on the Saturday Night Show as himself a while back and Brendan O'Connor pushed him on homophobia in the media. It led to legal trouble for RTE when he named names and John Waters and the Iona Institute sued.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

The Saturday Night Show is utter rubbish but if you are going this week, it's the one week I'd like to be there. Going to be great viewing with Panti back on - awkward at the very least, could be another scandal at the very best. *grabs popcorn*

• Registered Users Posts: 12,996 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Was Panti personally sued for her comments?

I would love to see how a judge or jury or whatever would view it.

I would love to see how a judge or jury or whatever would view it.

No, it was RTÉ that paid out to "stop a larger fee at a later date." So we basically paid for it with our TV licences :mad:

Panti was censored when they aired it I believe. Part of me is hoping she is sarcastic and b1tchy while another large part of me hopes she takes the higher ground and just plugs her book. But part A of me would make far better viewing :D

There were legal threats for ages. I don't think they took her to court though.
    Maire2009 wrote: »
    Panti was censored when they aired it I believe.

It's a live show, sure if the comments Rory made hadn't aired there wouldn't have been the hassle in the first place.

They did cut the comments from the repeat and they took them off the version on the Player though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Cant wait!!!

There were legal threats for ages. I don't think they took her to court though.

It's a live show, sure if the comments Rory made hadn't aired there wouldn't have been the hassle in the first place.

They did cut the comments from the repeat and they took them off the version on the Player though.

That was it, thanks for clearing it up. I knew there was some form of censorship. I'll be tuning in anyway tomorrow night, it'll be awkward at least.

Maire2009 wrote: »
    That was it, thanks for clearing it up. I knew there was some form of censorship. I'll be tuning in anyway tomorrow night, it'll be awkward at least.

I'm a big fan of controversy so I was following the debacle like a schoolgirl following One Direction!

I'm a big fan of controversy so I was following the debacle like a schoolgirl following One Direction!

Me too!! The best TV this year was the whole Eurovision/Linda Martin unable to walk on heels debacle on the Late Late.

Advertisement