Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Senior Garda comments on Roma, Dubs, Guinness and Footlocker shoes :)

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,773 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

LeixlipRed wrote: »
    I was highlighting the fact that people want to tar a racial group based on the fact they beg, which of course is not a crime. "Kick them all out", that's pretty hate filled and stomach turning in my opinion. Or would you disagree?

It is a crime otherwise the garda would let them at it...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,846 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

John Doe1 wrote: »
    Anyone for a good old fashioned lynching

Lynchings hurt me. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

540 beggars arrested since February.. How many pickpockets have been caught in the same period?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

Yet there are still passport controls at the border. You cannot simply waltz into Ireland. And states can petition to restrict work permits (and subsequently, permission to remain); a few months ago, Spain successfully petitioned to limit labor market access for Romanians.

Also, Irish people have just as equal access to other countries. I wish people would stop acting so put-upon - you all could just as easily go to Spain as Poles could come to Ireland.

And, yes, I am not an EU citizen. But there are a lot of Irish people who rage against open borders, yet seem baffled that, as an American citizen, I (and many others) had a lot of visa problems. You don't just walk into Ireland as an EU system, but the process is straightforward. As a non-EU citizen, it is completely arbitrary.

Perhaps we have crossed wires here. I do not mean we literally have borders which are 'wide open' -controls are retained as a result of the Schengen opt-out, that's a given. On a practical level, they are a mere formality, easily and routinely traversed by EU citizens.

I certainly have no problem with any EU citizen gaining entry to or seeking to reside in Ireland, be they Roma, Latvian, Polish or otherwise. With regard to non-EU citizens, once they meet visa requirements and continue to abide by the conditions set out, they should be let go about their business / study - as it is of obvious benefit to all parties culturally, socially and economically.

I get to the States often on business and have a lot of dealings with both the CBP & the FDA and the associated hoop-jumping can be an unnervingly arbitrary process, as you say.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭adomino

woodoo wrote: »
    Each Roma caught begging should be turfed out of the country and never let back in.

anyone coming here committing crimes should be turfed out forever, but they're not, costing the taxpayer to house them. anyone committing crimes outside should not get in, but they are.

it's a joke. border police are asleep, and if they get deported, chances of getting back in are high. bring in iris scanners, something... so the police can rest their irises

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

only give to irish beggars its like the buy irish thing
    maybe there should be a bord bia for beggars

The real Irish beggars could get the guaranteed Irish logo tattoo'd on their forehead to make it easier :p

Advertisement