Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sorry, I thought you said get faster before the 100th Marathon

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Well done on the 1000 miles. I'll be doing some easy miles in Tymon on thursday and friday if you fancy either?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

menoscemo wrote: »
    Well done on the 1000 miles. I'll be doing some easy miles in Tymon on thursday and friday if you fancy either?

I'd love to, but I'm going to be all over the country this week, quite litterally. I probably wont get a proper chance to run til Sunday at this rate (bar the Dunboyne race). Are you headed over to it yourself? Did you recover from the injury yet?

Not doing the Dunboyne race, gonna rest up for the cork marathon relay next monday. Injury seems to be all cleared up now....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Well done on the 1000 miles. Excellent achievement.

Did the Dunboyne 5M last night. Course was flat, weather was excellent, not too warm. Went out on the first 3 miles at sub 7min miles, knew I went out too fast and then slowed down a bit on the 4th mile and let a few people past. On the 5th Mile, I took up the pace again and got my position back more or less and had to put the foot down when I got onto the track for the last stretch, cos the guy behind me was starting to catch up.

Held the position and completed in 35:45. A new PB and really delighted to get under the 36min mark. Might be hard to beat it in the Adidas series, because of the hills.

• Advertisement

Went out for 3 miles today, to blow off the cobwebs. After the first 3 miles @ sub 7 pace in Dunboyne, thought I'd just do a short one fast and see how I faired out. Plan was to warm up on mile one, run fast for the other 2 miles

Mile 1 7:38
    Mile 2 6.37
    Mile 3 7:29

Mile 2 is my fastest mile recorded so far, but then again, lot of my runs were long and I didnt really try to overdo it on any one mile of training. Hopefully, a bit of speed work will bring it down. It should have been 6:34, cos I had to stop on a corner just near the end while the worlds slowest driver turned the corner. Now I remember why I spent so much time running in parks away from traffic and streets.

I'll have to dig out my Aldi HRM watch and start paying attention to it to give me a better idea of whether I'm running flat out, or if there's more in the tank.

No running since last Thursday and ate and drank all the bad stuff over the weekend. Think I'll have to check the scales in the morning.

So dug out the HRM and went for 4 miles at lunch @ average pace of 8:49 taking it easy all the way.

Average HR - 149

Going to pay a bit more attention to the HRM in future to check my progress.

7.5 miles today

Ran the first 5M @ average 7:50 pace, found a nice empty part of the park, did some core work, lightly jogged the next mile @ 9:30 pace, then back to 7:37 pace for the next mile and jogged out the last half mile to the car.

Average HR - 143 (65%)

Think I'm getting my head around the HR zones now. Just have to figure out what to target for each run I plan.

Not sure how productive today was (whether I was overdoing speed stuff)

Lunchtime: Interval work. tried out 6 x 400m with 200m recovery in between. Not sure if it was enough, or if I should have done more. Ran along a straight section of the grand canal, but was a bit on an incline, which is why every 2nd interval is much slower

1 mile warm up run then:
    Run|400m|200m (pace in mins/mile)
    1 |6:41 |9:46
    2 |7:02 |10:00
    3 |6:44 |10.15
    4 |7:25 |10:26
    5 |6:25 |10:25
    6 |7:47 | then ran last mine back to work @ 8:54

Then after work, went to park for what should have been a gentle run, ended up legging it after the warm up mile

Mile Pace
    1 9:48 warm up
    2 7:49
    3 7:46
    4 7:25
    0.5 8:49 warm down

(Apologies for the format. thought I could whip up a table, but need a bit more work on my code)

Now, from what I read last night, my Tempo Run pace should be about 7:45 - 7:50 based on my best 10k pace this year, so in theory, did I end up doing a 3M tempo run today? the heart rate was up to 161-166 at the best of time, which would suggest it was.

So 8.5 miles over an interval session and temp run. Not sure if mixing both in the same day is productive. Any comments about it would be appreciated :)

Got my hands on the Advanced Marathoning book today (20% discount in Easons on sports books) And just had a quick scan. Discovered that double runs in one day is probably not as productive for training for an ultra. One longer run on the day would be more benefit then two smaller ones. Did lots of doubles in training for Connemara, but didnt really cause any problems, but I'll read more of the book and might concentrate on single longer runs instead of couples, unless I'm pressed for time.

Did 13.1 miles in the Phoenix Park today. Set out for a handy pace, but started off too quick and kept up the pace. First 10 miles came in at 1:24 (average pace 8:24). Put the foot down for the next 3 and bit miles and did sub 8 pace for all three

mile Pace
    11 7:57
    12 7:57
    13 7:38

Bringing the overall average pace to 8:12min/mile (forgot to put on HRM, was in too much of a rush to get on the road.)

Very happy with making the last mile the fastest. Havent raced many half marathons, but my best time is 1:50:34. I finished the 13.1M today in 1:47:29 which I am delighted with, because I tackled the hills head on and a lot of the route was dodging around in the trails around the edges of the park. I think a good flat route would have been even quicker. Felt good after the run and very happy that my pace is improving.

• Advertisement

Small recovery run. 4.5M @ 8.37 pace.
    avg HR 140
    time: 39:20

Very warm this evening

Tempo run today. Started off 2 miles warm up, then 4 miles @ 7:45 pace finishing with 2 more miles to cool down.

Dont think it was a proper 4 miles tempo, because coming up to 3.5 miles, my average pace for that mile rose to 8:07 and I was feeling a bit knackered. Was going to leave it at that, but put the foot down and brought it back to 7:45. I think for a tempo run to be effective, it has to be constant pace all the way, not just an overall average so I'll try another 4M tempo next week and see if I can go the whole way before attempting a 5M tempo.

8 Miles today (2x 9:00, 4x 7:45, 2x 9:10) Forgot to pack the HRM again. would have been handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

Didnt know you could move the fast bud:-)
    You doing longford or portumna?

Oisin11178 wrote: »
    Didnt know you could move the fast bud:-)
    You doing longford or portumna?
    LOL, either did I. Pulled the finger out after Connemara and worked on speed a bit. The BHAA races really helped, giving me a bit of a push and some confidence to keep the pace up without the fear of suddenly grinding to a halt after a mile. I just have to work on sustaining that kind of pace for longer, with DCM in mind. Only thing is that I'll have lots of endurance training to do now for Dingle, so not sure how the pace will suffer with the long distance training thrown in more frequently.

Cant do Portumna, because I'll be in Germany that weekend and Longford is the week before Dingle. Would love to have done Longford for a crack at a PB, but its in the middle of my taper.

Are you looking forward to Portumna yourself?

Yeah i do no speed work really, just lots of long pace work. When that becomes to comfortable i lower it. Seems to work for me. Have it down to 7.15 a min at the moment. I am and i am not looking forward to portumna. I have to go down straight after a night shift because there is only one bus directly there. Im taking 5 rest days before it so i will see how i am on the day. Might race is if i feel good. Good loves a trier:-)
    I might see you down in dingle:-)

In Tymon today with Menoscemo. We did 6.1miles @ 8:20 pace. Felt comfortable. Heart rate was 140 average. Had a grand chat about heart rate zones, tempos, recovery and the like. Looking forward to getting stuck into my P&D book tomorrow.

Damn technology, our Garmins were out of sync, despite starting them at the same time. Mine was a few seconds ahead after the first mile. Dont envy his 14M run tomorrow, I'll be sitting on a plane to Germany.

Weather over there is not looking good at the moment, plenty of rain clouds for the next few days. Hope to clock up some Deutchmiles while I'm there, to compensate for the Weissbeirs. Or maybe have some Weissbiers to hydrate after a run. Not sure what way to look at it. Either way, there will be beer :D

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Aimman wrote: »
    Weather over there is not looking good at the moment, plenty of rain clouds for the next few days. Hope to clock up some Deutchmiles while I'm there, to compensate for the Weissbeirs. Or maybe have some Weissbiers to hydrate after a run. Not sure what way to look at it. Either way, there will be beer :D
    Jealous? Moi? Never! :)

Have a great time!

Jealous? Moi? Never! :)

Have a great time!

LOL, Will do. :cool:

Sunday: Sweated out the weekend's weissbier with a 3M run along the Fulda @ 8min miles

Monday - One hour between end of technical training and dinner, had a rushed haphazard workout in the gym on equipment that didnt work

Tuesday - Two hours between training and dinner, hit the trails along the Fulda. Planned a 7M run, enjoyed the scenery and sun so much, did 10.2M @ 8:23 pace. didnt take water with me, so could feel myself slowing down after 5 miles. Made sure I rehydrated with lots of Weissbier afterwards. :D

Been reading more of the P&D book.... when I get home and start the training for Dingle next week, I've a lot of work to cram in whilst trying to avoiding injury. :eek:

Sunday: Sweated out the weekend's weissbier with a 3M run along the Fulda @ 8min miles

Monday - One hour between end of technical training and dinner, had a rushed haphazard workout in the gym on equipment that didnt work

Tuesday - Two hours between training and dinner, hit the trails along the Fulda. Planned a 7M run, enjoyed the scenery and sun so much, did 10.2M @ 8:23 pace. didnt take water with me, so could feel myself slowing down after 5 miles. Made sure I rehydrated with lots of Weissbier afterwards. :D

Been reading more of the P&D book.... when I get home and start the training for Dingle next week, I've a lot of work to cram in whilst trying to avoiding injury. :eek:
    Are you a man or a mouse:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭mithril

Just saw the log. Hopefully we will meet again at the start line of Dingle.

P&D is the bible for marathon running but I would not train for a 50 mile race using it. The key to Ultra training, from what I have read, is a double long run at the week-end with a lot of recovery.
    Speed training , which matters for marathon running, is probably better sacrificed in favour of an extra mid-week longish run or more recovery.

True, I'm not planning to use any of the training plans for Dingle, but I'm reading all about conditioning the body etc and how it adapts to the training. I'll have to build up the double LSRs quite quickly, because I wont get a chance to start training properly till next week and will only have about 8 weeks to get up to 2 x 25mile runs. will be a bit of a strain on the body stepping up the LSRs. I agree with the recovery time too. I wont be doing any speed work once I start the training properly. (maybe the odd tempo if i get bored, lol)

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭mithril

I posted my original comment before reading your post at the start of the log with your proposed training program. Looks like we are doing something very similiar for preparation. Let's hope its a good one.

Saturday - 10k

Greetings from Beautiful Hot Cologne.

What better way to clear the head after a few 'ahem' WeissBiers the night before then a run along the Rhine. The Hotel is right beside the Dom and its such a breathtaking building. And because it's so big, you can see it from miles away, so no chance of getting lost.

Very hot and didnt bring any water with me. started of with circa 8 - 7:30 miles but started to dehydrate after a while and ended up averaging 9 min miles to complete the 10k in 56 mins. Considering the heat, I was happy with it, just to blow off the cobwebs. I also kept the clock running for the times I had to run up and down the spiralling flights of steps to get onto the massive bridges that span the river.

The first of my back to back LSRs today. They should have been done at the weekend, but because I was away, had to massage my calendar a bit. Was planning to do 13.1 miles both days

Went to the Phoenix Park because I love doing the long loops in the trees around to parameter of the park. Two loops will give about 13.1M. The BHAA 5k was also on there this evening but I ditched it to get the long run done, however, because I was making good time I had the bizzare notion of entering the race when I get to the end of the LSR. I wasnt expecting to run the race in any great time, but when I read about Dean (I Love Myself) Kernazes doing something similar (on a bigger scale, running 100M to the start of a marathon) I thought it would be a novel idea, one to check off the list.

Ended up doing handy 13.5M in 1:58 (8:51 pace) (including time taken to stop at car, get some money and a drink)

The race was an experince. Could have done with more water before the start of the race, and would have benefited from a gel. From the word go, there was no bursts of energy, no second wind and no mad dash of glory at the end, although I did have to work a bit to keep a guy from stealing my place just near the finish line.

Finished the race in 25:06 @ 8:13 pace. I wasnt disappointed in the result because I knew I was running it tired, but I wanted something to push me for 3 miles at the end of an LSR. After the first 2,5k lap I was really tempted to pull out and stand and watch the finish, but I kept going which was the real important thing for me. I didnt want to give up too easy. Even if it meant running it slowly, I finished it. And the sambos and biscuits tasted all the more nicer in the club house.

I'm supposed to run another 13.1 miles tomorrow, but not sure whether to do the full distance, or knock a couple of miles off it, because of the extra unscheduled miles today. Either way, I'll make Thurday a rest day, Friday a recovery run and then tempo on Saturday.

Feeling tired heading out today. Had 13.1 planned but after the long run and race yesterday, thought 10M might be better.

Ended up doing 11.1M in 1:47 (9:38 pace) Just took it easy, however for the last mile I seen a few runners ahead of me and decided to speed up and overtake them. Made the last mile a 8:30 pace.

A bit mad doing a race after an LSR :D

We are gonna recce the dublin mountain plod on saturday morning, are you still up for it? Should be about 12 miles, but we can do a few loops of marlay after if you want to make it any longer.

I'd love to do it, but wont be in Dublin. I think I'll put my name down for the race though, if its still open. Would be good to put myself through that the day after the adidas 5M :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Fair play to you Aimman Karnazes, you're very dedicated with the training. Good going on the 5k after the LSR aswell!

Weisbier must contain some quality nutrients!!

• Advertisement

Cheers Killerz. I think the race after the LSR was only a novelty, wont be making a habit out of it, but will definitely keep researching the Weissbier to explore its nutritional potential :cool:

Advertisement