Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q&A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

mossy464 wrote: »
    I rang the vrt booking phone number today as there were no appointments available to book online. Brought the car in from the north on Saturday.

What are peoples experiences of the wait times for an appointment? Presumably there is further delay if the appointment they give you doesn't suit?

Is there a risk of missing the 30 day deadline for paying the VRT?
    I booked my vrt in advance of bringing the car in, but I had all the details and had already made the purchase agreement. I was able to get an appointment within a week but times didn't really suit. Booked in for Friday at 11pm 13 days post import.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,113 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

They are still getting through the backlog of cars that were brought into the country over the last 2 months because of the Brexit deadline.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭at9qu5vp0wcix7

bazz26 wrote: »
    They are still getting through the backlog of cars that were brought into the country over the last 2 months because of the Brexit deadline.

I brought it in to the country right before the original March date, and got one right away. It's free to book, so I just booked it before I had even bought the car (but after mechanic inspection).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Carpentry

Hi,

Probably silly question. If I buy the car from UK dealer, get the V5C, am I allowed to drive just straight pn the ferry back to Ireland ? Do I need to notify Uk police or customs ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭mossy464

michellie wrote: »
    Check again now. Bookings opened today for week beginning 20th may

Thanks got an appointment.

• Advertisement

Carpentry wrote: »
    Hi,

Probably silly question. If I buy the car from UK dealer, get the V5C, am I allowed to drive just straight pn the ferry back to Ireland ? Do I need to notify Uk police or customs ?

You can drive straight back no problem.
    But you will need to ensure you have insurance cover and on the UK you will need to decide whether you tax the car or take a chance on the drive to the ferry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

I bought a car in NI. VRT and tax/insurance all sorted. I got notification that I need to do an NCT. Do I?

Car is 2016 registered. Not clear from NCT site as the EU certificate of roadworthiness thing confused me (I don't have this).

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Nemanrio

I bought a car in NI. VRT and tax/insurance all sorted. I got notification that I need to do an NCT. Do I?

Car is 2016 registered. Not clear from NCT site as the EU certificate of roadworthiness thing confused me (I don't have this).

Does it have a valid MOT?

If it does, swap it for an nct cert. €16

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Nemanrio wrote: »
    Does it have a valid MOT?

If it does, swap it for an nct cert. €16

Has anyone done this recently? I don't have the mot cert but the DVLA site shows it's tested to December.

Never mind, picked one up online.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

No need for a NCT until the car is 4 years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

mgn wrote: »
    No need for a NCT until the car is 4 years old.

Are you sure? That's what I thought.
    To answer the other question, I don't have an MOT thingy and I see from Google they do them after 3 years in UK. Grr.

Are you sure? That's what I thought.
    To answer the other question, I don't have an MOT thingy and I see from Google they do them after 3 years in UK. Grr.

Yes i'm sure. Cars in the UK do an MOT after 3 years.Here cars do an NCT after 4 years.

Anyone have a problem trying to tax car following vrt? Sorted VRT on Saturday but so far the reg number and pin given to me is not working on motortax website.

It probably takes a working day before the system is updated, try it again tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭revoke12

Uriel. wrote: »
    Anyone have a problem trying to tax car following vrt? Sorted VRT on Saturday but so far the reg number and pin given to me is not working on motortax website.

I registered mine of a Saturday 2 weeks ago and was Tuesday afternoon before it was on the system
    To tax it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

I registered mine yesterday evening at 5pm and it's already there this morning...

• Registered Users Posts: 31 shanev13

"For vehicles purchased in the EU, we require shipping details to confirm the date of arrival of the vehicle in the state."

For cars bought in the north, what's the procedure here?

shanev13 wrote: »
    "For vehicles purchased in the EU, we require shipping details to confirm the date of arrival of the vehicle in the state."

For cars bought in the north, what's the procedure here?

Sale invoice should do.

mgn wrote: »
    Sale invoice should do.

It's kind of funny, I printed the wrong ferry booking confirmation, had the date of travel, my name, 1 person with car etc. But didn't have car reg on the booking form.
    Wouldn't accept it along with the sales invoice and receipt for the car which were dated the same date as travel and the sales order which had date of collection on the same date of travel. All of which were on dealership headed paper.
    Bearing in mind my vrt appointment was 13 days after these documents were dated. Did they think the dealership faked to documents or allowed me to take the car weeks before but only pay later.

The real annoying thing was that I found a different booking confirmation for the same trip on my phone while there which did have the reg number on it. Wouldn't accept it unless I printed it (don't carry a printer with me) girl wouldn't allow me to email it there and then to be printed off. Had to come back next day with it printed off as it was after 11pm.

All I'm really saying is documentation such as sales invoice didn't work for me unfortunately.

• Advertisement

Uriel. wrote: »
    It's kind of funny, I printed the wrong ferry booking confirmation, had the date of travel, my name, 1 person with car etc. But didn't have car reg on the booking form.
    Wouldn't accept it along with the sales invoice and receipt for the car which were dated the same date as travel and the sales order which had date of collection on the same date of travel. All of which were on dealership headed paper.
    Bearing in mind my vrt appointment was 13 days after these documents were dated. Did they think the dealership faked to documents or allowed me to take the car weeks before but only pay later.

The real annoying thing was that I found a different booking confirmation for the same trip on my phone while there which did have the reg number on it. Wouldn't accept it unless I printed it (don't carry a printer with me) girl wouldn't allow me to email it there and then to be printed off. Had to come back next day with it printed off as it was after 11pm.

All I'm really saying is documentation such as sales invoice didn't work for me unfortunately.

You have no other proof coming down from the north.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Carpentry

Is it possible to get different county plates ? Other county plates than new owner's current address ?

Unless you can produce a utility bill with your name and address in the desired county then not likely. I'v heard they are clamping down on this now so gone very strict.

If your buying from a dealer with an address in the same county then ask them to put your name and their address on it. Once they get the reg number you can then change the correct address on the motortax website before taxing it. The reg number won't change, only the registered owner's address.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 shanev13

Halfords registration plate machine broken in 2 nearest locations!!

Do all car dealers do this service?
    What's a fair price?

Thanks!

Go to a motor factors. I paid €20 for the last set I bought, but that's 3 years ago. RenAuto on Dorset St are good.

shanev13 wrote: »
    Halfords registration plate machine broken in 2 nearest locations!!

Do all car dealers do this service?
    What's a fair price?

Thanks!

Got mine on Saturday. A pair for 24euro with screws and caps.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭danoriordan1402

Quick question, the car I am looking at has an approved AA check includedfrom the garage and I can see the report(all good ) Gut feeling tells me I should get the independent Dekra check done anyway,@185 Sterling. Would this be advised

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭skytop

SeaFields wrote: »
    Took delivery of my new (to me) car this week. Sourced through a dealer in the north who brings over cars from the mainland UK. Delivered to the door NCT, vrt done and on Irish plates. Former company car so full main dealer service history. Im trying to find a like for like comparison to see exactly the savings and am making it out to be 2-3k or even slightly more. Mrs Seafields will be doing the same next time.
    Hi , do you mind if I ask you the name of this dealer
    ?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭mossy464

Can someone clarify this for me.

I'm a bit confused by the two forms referenced in the VRT appointment checklist.

The checklist contains both VTRVPD1 and VTRVPD2 forms must be completed but they seem to be for different people depending who is presenting the vehicle for inspection.

Do I fill in just one of these?

I bought the car and will be the registered owner in Ireland.

• Advertisement

mossy464 wrote: »
    Can someone clarify this for me.

I'm a bit confused by the two forms referenced in the VRT appointment checklist.

The checklist contains both VTRVPD1 and VTRVPD2 forms must be completed but they seem to be for different people depending who is presenting the vehicle for inspection.

Do I fill in just one of these?

I bought the car and will be the registered owner in Ireland.

You just need to fill in the VTRVPD2 one.The other one is for dealers.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement