Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

bending wood

Options
  • 08-01-2011 1:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭

Hi Men. I need to bend some small diameter hard wood,about ½'' wide x 3 or 4 mm thick x 36'' long.I need to make an 11' circle basically. I don't have the time to try and build a steam box,I'd probably make a hames of it any way. My idea is to use a window box type container,preferably waterproof and heat proof,and basically use my wood stove in the shed to boil the water and immerse the wood for a time until bendable. Anyone used this method?
    My other problem is finding a container 36'' long that will stand up to the task, I have an alu bin that's waterproof, but I'm not sure if it will take the heat, that's not a woodworking question I know but I have faith in you guys in regards to all things diy. Any suggestions or alternatives?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

Hi,

Never tried it myself but.

try a lenght of 4" waste pipe - thats quite strong and may withstand the heat.
    cheap if it doesn't.
    Or even better still - a lenght of metal pipe !!!

K

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

Discovered a forgotten steamer in my shed, had a piece of 3 inch plastic pipe,drilled and attached a flue for the steamer gun to sit into (didn't need to do that,could have just stuck the gun down the pipe)soaked wood for ten minutes then steamed for about 10 minutes and my fairly thin piece of wood bent like chewing gum, it's cooling in my shed now. Online I read that the bent wood should be left near a heat source to aid reduction of moisture content.
    The 3 inch pipe didn't fair too well,metal as Karltimber mentioned, would be the real deal.I'm interested now to discover now if I could bend a ¼'' piece.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

For the boat I rap hot towels around the wood and pour boiling water over them over an hour the wood becomes nice and soft,I'm not sure what radius you need to bend but it should work.

019.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

used a 4" wavin pipe before. put two end caps on, a small breather hole connected up and old kettle and it worked. takes a lot of patience and trial runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

My 3inch pipe bent badly with both runs I did, would a 4 inch fair any better I wonder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

1chippy wrote: »
    used a 4" wavin pipe before. put two end caps on, a small breather hole connected up and old kettle and it worked. takes a lot of patience and trial runs.

I use a 6" soil pipe, like the above with a cap on either end and a small vent hole drilled on the underside of the side opposite to where the steam enters, to allow steam and water to exit. Hooked it up to a wall paper steamer, does the job. Ran a few bolts through it and sealed up the holes, gives the timber something to rest on and allow the steam penetrate all round.

Oddly though, and I've found this, kiln dried timber doesnt seem to take a shape very easily, air dried is easier to work.

My pipe also started to go a little soft, even though it has fairly thick walls. I have it on an external wall on a few brackets, but there is a bit of a bow in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

dubtom wrote: »
    My 3inch pipe bent badly with both runs I did, would a 4 inch fair any better I wonder.
    Did it with black sewer pipe. dont know how true it is but a plumber told me they are a better grade. maybe that is it. other thing was maybe didnt have as much steam going through it.

in response to croppyboys mention on the air dried versus kiln dried timber i presume it could be that (as far as i know) kiln dried will case harden slightly more than air dried as the moisture content is redued far more rapidly.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

The orange pipe is more resilient to heat it's used for underground work and is made to take hot water from sinks,baths,washing machines, etc so you should be fine with that.:)

Advertisement