Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Business closures around the county

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

byte wrote: »

Was down in Little Mac's yesterday evening, food was great, best of luck to Dec and Nollaig, good to finally have a proper chipper you can eat in, in town.

Took a spin by it this evening, looks well. Might have to head in next time I'm up.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

bohsboy wrote: »
    Hopefully the new owners might be able to speed up the orders. I know they try and cook fresh but my god it can be very very slow.
    The best things come to those who wait! :)

Somebody told me they just fry frozen Butler's chips now, though I'd have my doubts...

WRT Little Mac's it's a shame it has opened at all, as I've used it 3 times already and it'll not help decrease my waistline :D However, I love the taco chips that are now part of the menu that weren't an option when Dec had Duffy's!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,997 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

re: the dry arch

Let me get this straight.
    The manager of a profitable business which went into receivership put in a bid to buy it, which was rejected as a higher bid was placed, and was refused the oppurtunity to up his bid (isnt this how auctions work?).

Meanwhile, it turns out the person who bought it is a sitting councillor from a party with a questionable history in planning, business & land deals (particularly in donegal), who is subsequently leasing the premises out to a chain of service stations at what I can assume is quite a healthy rental fee?

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭cosanostra

Are Applegreen not running the Petrol station on the same side as Clanree? Are they now going to be running one on each side of the Road?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

retalivity wrote: »
    re: the dry arch

Let me get this straight.
    The manager of a profitable business which went into receivership put in a bid to buy it, which was rejected as a higher bid was placed, and was refused the oppurtunity to up his bid (isnt this how auctions work?).

Meanwhile, it turns out the person who bought it is a sitting councillor from a party with a questionable history in planning, business & land deals (particularly in donegal), who is subsequently leasing the premises out to a chain of service stations at what I can assume is quite a healthy rental fee?

The business didn't go into receivership, the property in which it was located (the bricks and mortar, which he didn't own, just leased) went into receivership. There was no auction and the property was never advertised as being for sale although many people would have been interested in purchasing it.

Other than that detail you have summed it up pretty well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,820 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Lets not get bogged down in discussing something thats off topic as it appears the business wont be closed as such.....just different owners.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

muffler wrote: »
    Lets not get bogged down in discussing something thats off topic as it appears the business wont be closed as such.....just different owners.

While I understand you want us staying on topic this business IS closed. I often complained about the amount of traffic coming in and out of it so close to the roundabout but already it looks desolate. People have lost their jobs and we don't know when the new owners will be in business or how many they will employ.
    Many of us try to support locally owned businesses and if it re-opens as a branch of a multi-national chain then makes a big difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

I heard it was reopening alright, didn't think it was so soon though.

Was down in Little Mac's yesterday evening, food was great, best of luck to Dec and Nollaig, good to finally have a proper chipper you can eat in, in town.

Had my first visit last night. Hate to say it but was disapointed. They had closed at 11pm.

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Vinegar Hill

Barcelona Bar in Ballybofey. :(

http://www.facebook.com/barcelona.bar.9

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 cappichino

Chateau at the Forte Shopping area in Letterkenny. Was expensive but had some lovely home decor in it. Never saw many going in though .Pity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭donegal_road

the tyre place on Flea Lane, Ballybofey

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭howdoyouknow

Ballybofeys taking a beating this week i heard mc brides tiles and firrplaces closed yesterday too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭donegal_road

Ballybofeys taking a beating this week i heard mc brides tiles and firrplaces closed yesterday too

I forgot to mention the take-away at the entrance of Mac Cumhaill park closed, (used to be the Finn View take-away years back but was open as a Chinese lately)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

Has the Corner Shoe shop finally closed in Letterkenny? Seen the shutters down yesterday and heard it has gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭overshoot

Barcelona Bar in Ballybofey. :(

http://www.facebook.com/barcelona.bar.9
    looks like the are just moving, although we will have to do without them for a bit
    This is our last big weekend in Barca as we r closing da doors for good on wed nite .
    But we r not going away , we r just moving to bigger and better premises. We will keep u posted over da coming days. And we would like to thank all our customers for ur custom and hope u will join us on our new venture.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,703 ✭✭✭donegal_man

ToniTuddle wrote: »
    Has the Corner Shoe shop finally closed in Letterkenny? Seen the shutters down yesterday and heard it has gone.

Yep, it's gone as well. Grim sight all the closed premises on the main street of the main town in the county :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Firblog

New bakery opening up in Donegal beside the Indian (near new Aldi)

byte

Firblog wrote: »
    New bakery opening up in Donegal beside the Indian (near new Aldi)
    Really? Didn't think we'd need another bakery, with Cake Nest and O'Hehir's as well as Lidl's effort.

La floureil (or something like that)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

Le Fournil?
    They were at a Taste of Donegal. Got bread from them. Was lovely.

Maldesu wrote: »
    Le Fournil?

Thems the ones

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Cartel Mike

kebab shop bottom of main street Letterkenny few doors up from 4 star pizza.

Does anyone know If it's closed now?

Maybe their on a long holiday but there's no notice on the door and it's been a few weeks now .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

kebab shop bottom of main street Letterkenny few doors up from 4 star pizza.

Does anyone know If it's closed now?

Maybe their on a long holiday but there's no notice on the door and it's been a few weeks now .

It's open tonight anyway, just out of town there.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭theblueirish

Just heard Johnsons/Mahons building suppliers closed up today.

byte

Just heard Johnsons/Mahons building suppliers closed up today.
    Awh, that's a shame. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭boxer.fan

Awh, that's a shame. :(

To be fair its no surprise that place closed down. The management there must have been delusional. Extremely poor service in the past few years coupled with ignoring what their loyal customers wanted. Johnstons had a very successful business for many years before McMahons made a balls of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭GoldenGreen

boxer.fan wrote: »
    To be fair its no surprise that place closed down. The management there must have been delusional. Extremely poor service in the past few years coupled with ignoring what their loyal customers wanted. Johnstons had a very successful business for many years before McMahons made a balls of it.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 14,286 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Maldesu wrote: »
    Le Fournil?

le fournil open today
    alzheimers charity shop opening where sherry fitzgeralds used to be (diamond centre)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭overshoot

i miss nighthawks in glenties:( their snackbox was a beast. seems to have closed a few weeks ago

Advertisement