Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New to Co. Donegal or Thinking of Moving Here? Post In This Thread.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭pheasant tail

Thanks for the replys lads. Just heard im not starting until the week later so I have a bit of time, heading up on Wednesday to see what I can come up with, I was thinking of perhaps booking into a small B&B until I get settled in and find my feet.
    I do drive Dannie yea,and dont mind a small commute, up to half an hour. I seen ur post about renting rooms and that seemed very suitable if I could find somewhere close enough to the area. I'll get back to ya's during the week when Ive a better idea of the area and what I'm looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

Hey I only saw this thread now!

Moved to ramelton just outside letterkenny on the 1st, can anyone give me advice regarding internet in that area? Feel lost without wifi!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,809 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Hey I only saw this thread now!

Moved to ramelton just outside letterkenny on the 1st, can anyone give me advice regarding internet in that area? Feel lost without wifi!
    My co-mod here, danniemcq, will probably be able to offer up some advice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Mates that are living in Ramelton are using vodafone broadband (or at least they were last time i was chatting to him) I'll send him an email now and see what he is on now cause i know he was thinking about changing it.

EDIT:

just got email back from him, vodafone does him fine for streaming and all usual internet stuff. Would that be what you would use it for or would you need something more (online gaming, heavy uploads/downloads for work)?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

danniemcq wrote: »
    Mates that are living in Ramelton are using vodafone broadband (or at least they were last time i was chatting to him) I'll send him an email now and see what he is on now cause i know he was thinking about changing it.

EDIT:

just got email back from him, vodafone does him fine for streaming and all usual internet stuff. Would that be what you would use it for or would you need something more (online gaming, heavy uploads/downloads for work)?

That would suit me grand, my theory is if I want to download anything really big I can get my parents to do it and send it to me over a USB, damn them and their 100mb internet ha. Vodafone broadband seems to be the winner according to a lot of people, now all I need is for the last tenant to cancel their subscription, it's been over two weeks now and they still havnt done it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 JonnyMcC

Hi, I know a family who are looking at moving to North Donegal, with Portsalon being a possible location.

One important thing they'll need to consider is the internet - he works in video production from home and could be quite a heavy internet user. Would anyone know what sort of speeds would he be likely to get in Portsalon? How would it compare with somewhere a bit further south (e.g. Milford)?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Benjyismydog

Hiya, I'm looking for a man with a van kind of a thing for tomorrow(16/04/15). Apartment removal. No furniture needs moving just boxes and things like that from one side of Letterkenny to the other. At reasonable price. The guy who normally does this is away and unable to do it.

If you know of anyone who could help pass them my way.
    Thank you in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

On a seperate note, whats letterkenny like to live in if one was to be successful in securing a role.

zweton wrote: »
    On a seperate note, whats letterkenny like to live in if one was to be successful in securing a role.
    Have a read through the thread where Im moving your post to and also have a root around the forum generally as there are lots of previous threads on this topic.

Cheers. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

Folks, I work from home and may need to move to Donegal town in a few months for my husband's job. My employer is based in the UK and doesn't much care where in Ireland I live so long as I can still access the company VPN. Does anyone know what providers offer good broadband with VPN capability to Donegal? (No, Vodafone won't support it; we have gone round and round with them already.)

• Advertisement

Speedwell wrote: »
    Folks, I work from home and may need to move to Donegal town in a few months for my husband's job. My employer is based in the UK and doesn't much care where in Ireland I live so long as I can still access the company VPN. Does anyone know what providers offer good broadband with VPN capability to Donegal? (No, Vodafone won't support it; we have gone round and round with them already.)
    Nothing new for VF. The problem in most parts of this country is that Eir own the infrastructure and other providers are merely using same. About 6 months ago I had a family member who tried to get broadband with Vodafone and then Sky and was told a pack of lies by both providers resulting in the non provision of the service. In the end they signed up with Eir.

As much as I despise Eir there are times when perhaps they are the best option or solution. They are certainly never the cheapest but given their near monopoly on the infrastructure they may be the best bet in this situation. Give them a call and see how you get on but do try to get everything in writing just in case issues arise in the future.

Im not living in the Donegal Town area myself but there are a couple of regulars who post here who wouldnt be a million miles from there so maybe they could provide an insight into what type of service/speeds are achievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 irska

test

• Registered Users Posts: 8 irska

Hi people.
    Im planning move to Letterkenny.
    I have some questions

1. Do you know any factory, cleaning agency, fast food or shop where they are always looking for staff?
    I have irish experience as a cashier in Mcdonalds and Deli assistant(sandwich maker) , B2 level-english.
    Do you know any shop that employ seasonal Christmas staff?
    2. Is there any vegan/veggie shop or restaurant in town. Is there any fish market?
    Do you have street-food market?

3. Street players? Street actors?
    How alternative scene looks like?

4. Is it really possible to see Northern Light from Letterkenny town?

Thank you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22 BurnleyBen

Hi Everyone,

Just moved to Letterkenny from the UK!

Loving the friendliness of the people here and everyone I've asked for advice or directions whilst trying to get to town centre or Tesco has been very helpful!

I also work from home and internet is crucial to me.. still waiting on Sky to come install everything (Went with Sky as they didn't need an Irish bank account which I still don't have due to proof of address stuff). I went with 3 mobile broadband which was a terrible mistake. had lots of problems.

In terms of questions and the like, I was wondering where people buy used appliances and the like? the house we live in had a dishwasher but it seems it needs replacing.

Thanks!

BurnleyBen wrote: »
    Hi Everyone,

Loving the friendliness of the people here and everyone I've asked for advice or directions whilst trying to get to town centre or Tesco has been very helpful!

I also work from home and internet is crucial to me.. still waiting on Sky to come install everything (Went with Sky as they didn't need an Irish bank account which I still don't have due to proof of address stuff). I went with 3 mobile broadband which was a terrible mistake. had lots of problems.

In terms of questions and the like, I was wondering where people buy used appliances and the like? the house we live in had a dishwasher but it seems it needs replacing.

Thanks!
    You're very welcome to Donegal, Letterkenny and indeed Boards.ie.

Im not overly familiar with the shops in Letterkenny but some of the people who live there and post here will probably be able to point you in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭nazzy

Hi Everyone,

Thanks!

Hi BurnleyBen - welcome to Letterkenny!!

Your best bet would be local paper 'The Dealer Free Ads Paper' - it comes out on Thursday nights I think so it's good to source second hand goods!!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 BurnleyBen

nazzy wrote: »
    Hi BurnleyBen - welcome to Letterkenny!!

Your best bet would be local paper 'The Dealer Free Ads Paper' - it comes out on Thursday nights I think so it's good to source second hand goods!!

I was told to look there or in the charity shops near the new Aldi or Lidl, can't remember.

I'll check it out, thanks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Technique

For second hand stuff try the Done Deal website and filter the location to Donegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 CodyC

Relocating to Letterkenny... in July. needs advise any safe areas to stay and rough areas to avoid. presently looking for apartment or house for m y family on Daft.ie... we are asians. please help.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

CodyC wrote: »
    Relocating to Letterkenny... in July. needs advise any safe areas to stay and rough areas to avoid. presently looking for apartment or house for m y family on Daft.ie... we are asians. please help.

Avoid Long Lane area and Lower Main Street. Anywhere else is fine generally, including the areas beside the large employers; Hospital, Optum, Pramerica, etc.

Lots of Asian families work and live in Letterkenny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 anniemiz

Hi Everyone.  My husband and I are considering moving to Ireland in a few years.  We will visit Ireland in February, 2018 to check out Donegal in general and Letterkenny specifically as a likely place to find employment.  Can anyone tell me what towns are popular commuting towns to Letterkenny?  Or what a radius for a reasonable commute might be?  I looked on myhome.ie and used the "Commute Time" feature, but I wonder how accurate that is. 

Some things that might help narrow down likely towns:
    - We'd have a car.
    - If a reasonable public transit option to Letterkenny is available, that would be great, but not necessary.
    - We'd like at least an acre of land; we've always lived super close to neighbors (fortunately, the neighbors have been great), but we're ready to stretch out a bit, have a garden, give the dog more space, etc.
    - No kids.
    - We like towns with centers and a community feel.

Please let me know if there's anything else that would be helpful to know in order to answer.

Thank you in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭TreasureBin

Hi Anniemiz

Sorry you haven't had a response yet. I can't answer all your questions, but will do my best.

I don't think there's a specific commute area; there are lots of small towns/villages around Letterkenny and I think anywhere up to 30 miles radius would be practical, depending on how much time you personally think is reasonable for travelling. Main traffic congestion happens on the outskirts of Letterkenny itself and there are various ongoing roadworks which are planned to reduce this problem but may take another year.

Public transport is so-so. The national bus service, Bus Eireann, might have one or two buses a day to most of the surrounding towns, and more frequent buses to Dublin and Galway. There are many private bus companies as well.

You should be able to find property with at least half an acre, if not an acre. You may also find something close to the sea, if that is something you'd like.
    As well as myhome.ie, you should check daft.ie If you are in Letterkenny and would like to visit estate agents (realtors) in person, I'd recommend Paul Reynolds on the Main Street. Having recently been in the position of looking for property and contacting various estate agents in town, I found them the most helpful.

anniemiz wrote: »
    Hi Everyone.  My husband and I are considering moving to Ireland in a few years.  We will visit Ireland in February, 2018 to check out Donegal in general and Letterkenny specifically as a likely place to find employment.  Can anyone tell me what towns are popular commuting towns to Letterkenny?  Or what a radius for a reasonable commute might be?  I looked on myhome.ie and used the "Commute Time" feature, but I wonder how accurate that is. 

Some things that might help narrow down likely towns:
    - We'd have a car.
    - If a reasonable public transit option to Letterkenny is available, that would be great, but not necessary.
    - We'd like at least an acre of land; we've always lived super close to neighbors (fortunately, the neighbors have been great), but we're ready to stretch out a bit, have a garden, give the dog more space, etc.
    - No kids.
    - We like towns with centers and a community feel.

Please let me know if there's anything else that would be helpful to know in order to answer.

Thank you in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 anniemiz

Thank you, TreasureBin, for that info.  It sounds like most traffic is in Letterkenny/just outside and then the occasional roadworks.  We'll be there soon, staying in Letterkenny for most of our time in Ireland, and the plan is to check out various possible towns in which to live.  I'm looking forward to visiting.  I will keep the estate agent recommendation in mind; I don't think we're at the point yet to see anything with anyone as it will be at least 2, maybe 3, years before my husband can first take early retirement here.  It is very good to have a personal recommendation, though.  Thanks again!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

If you're looking for a slightly smaller town near to Letterkenny, Rathmelton is very nice.
    I've not lived in Letterkenny for over 20 years now, but the golf course road was the go-to place for a nice house with plenty of space.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

Hi Ben,
    We`re thinking of moving to Letterkenny next year and I was wondering if you could update on how your move there has gone and if you could recommend any areas to consider (or not!)
    Thanks Rob

Hi Everyone,

Thanks!
    Hi Ben,
    Just wondering how your move has gone and can you give any advice on ok areas to live in letterkenny.
    Thanks Rob.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

RobMc59 wrote: »
    Hi Ben,
    Just wondering how your move has gone and can you give any advice on ok areas to live in letterkenny.
    Thanks Rob.
    You might get a response if you PM the user. They'll get an email notification then.

dregin wrote: »
    Hi Ben,
    Thanks Rob.
    You might get a response if you PM the user. They'll get an email notification then.
    I'll give it a go-thanks

As in earlier posts,we're looking to relocate(my wife,granddaughter and I) to Letterkenny probably late next year and would welcome any advice on which areas to look at (or avoid!),fairly near main shopping areas and secondary schools( as my wife doesn't drive) -as in other posts I've noticed property in letterkenny seems very reasonably priced and wondered why this is.
    Thanks Rob.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

fairly near main shopping areas and secondary schools( as my wife doesn't drive)

Any particular ethos? Irish speaking? Any shopping preferences? How far is she willing to walk?

I've noticed property in letterkenny seems very reasonably priced and wondered why this is.

Mainly because we are so far away from most large cities. Donegal does not have much interaction with the rest of ROI, we have very limited pubilc transport and having a car is quite essential for the majority of people. It's around 4 hours to Dublin and Galway.
    There is also the IT, which brings a lot of students to the area, which of couse attracts the usual associated idiots/anti-social behaviour, but its about on par with most places. Only down side is there is a lot of housing aimed at students which would be in walking area of shops/schools - basically, you could be stuck next to students.

Advertisement