Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Mustard?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭NeoSlicerZ

Originally posted by smoke-me-a-kipper
    i like the frenches american style mustard. lovly on hotdogs and burgers.

i second this

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

English clearly, just enough bite to make it intresting. Powdered colemans is, as has been mentioned above, the all-round winner of the category for sheer versatility.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

As a kid as a punishment my mam would put a teaspoon of colman's mustard powder on my tongue and make me keep it there for about a minute.

As a result I will not touch the stuff.

I found a novel way of avoiding the punishment though, I discovered that if I chucked the contents of the tin down the loo it made my life a lot more pleasant as it was too much effort to go to the shop and replace it each time.

But yeah... still wont go near it.

Yocky! Yocky! stuff!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Duffman

Dalkey Mustard is teh win...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,853 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Shouldn't you get a ban for suggesting American mustard? Disgusting stuff, hardly any flavour off it, it's just like thick yellow piss. Goddamn Americans, why do they have to do everything half-arsed, right down to watering down their cheese even?

Colman's mustard. Yum yum yum.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Most of the american mustards (or certainly the very popular ones) have a sweetening agent that I can't remember the name of right now. Plenty of information around the Internet about it right now though as French's Mustard (which has been mentioned by a good few people on the board) was 100 years old last Friday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

damn this forum!:p

i'm now the proud owner of some freshly sliced ham and a jar of Dijon mustard.

gonna have to try it in a salami sandwich next time:)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,853 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Ah yes, should have said that sugar intake is one thing that Americans don't do half-arsed :)

Originally posted by tman
    damn this forum!:p

Hooray for Mustard!
    i'm now the proud owner of some freshly sliced ham and a jar of Dijon mustard.

mmmh, looking forward to lunchtime myself now. What sort of dijon mustard?
    gonna have to try it in a salami sandwich next time:)

Let us know how it goes!

Originally posted by ecksor
    mmmh, looking forward to lunchtime myself now. What sort of dijon mustard?
    just some colemans stuff that i bought on the spur of the moment in my local supermarket.
    should've shopped around really (if the mayonaise you can buy in health food shops is anything to go by, their mustard must be yummeh!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭joe_chicken

mmmm....frenchs american mustard.....mmmm

rashers, ketchup, american mustard mmmmmmmmmm

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Well its between Dijon and Wholegrain for me.. depending on what mood im in..

nyom nyom.. methinks its time for lunch... :)

Tox

Originally posted by agent smith
    i like that dalkey mustard,,, has a **** load of seads in it...

Didn't know there was a dalkey mustard so I picked up a jar on the way home. Very nice! Quite mild.

From the jar, "Ingredients: Mustard Seed, Honey, Wine Vinegar, Spices, Sea Salt. No Additives".

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭BEAT

well, the only mustard I like is after hours Mustard ;)

I cant eat anything that has even been near mustard...it is just too yucky for my taste. :p

a flagrant disregard for the rules of this forum.
    we need a *custard forum for people like you

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Colman // Coleman

Let me reiterate the difference.
    The former is a brand of especially nice English mustard.
    The name is generally of English origin (though there has been cases of anglicisation/typos leading to cross-over).
    The Latter is the surname of yours truely.
    It is a Cork name. It alludes to a perference for a certain brand of mustard, but nothing more.

[/pedantic_bit]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭l3rian

i have english mustard on my beef and lamb

french mustard on the pork and ham

and american mustard on my hotdogs and sausages

a healthy balanced mustard life :cool:, except that german mustard yuck :mad:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Coveran own brand(the shop that has the yellow bags in spain) its a amercian style mustard really tasty and cheap too

• Registered Users Posts: 64,548 ✭✭✭✭unkel

French mustard? People don't have a notion of history, do they? Mustard is a German thing. Brought over from Africa by the Romans to the food loving Germans. Right enough the German region where mustard had it's European birth was forcefully handed over to France a while back but most people in the region are most familiar with senf in case moutard is not the thing to utter in public again soon enough...

A vote for English mustard? Disgraceful. Although it has to be said that Colmans was the first company in the world to industrialise mustard. Nuff said :rolleyes:

I'm confident that most posters here like their mustard. You might not have tasted (real) mustard before, so I challenge thee, go for the one and only: Löwensenf :D
    phaxx wrote:
    German seed mustard is clearly the only choice.

True, but why am I the only person having voted for it?

I personally never make a decision about what I prefer to put in my mouth without consulting a history book. I have a jar of a German mustard in my fridge actually which is almost empty as it happens. Makes eating those history books much more appetising. Why not just make a recommendation and leave the 'muso' rubbish out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

ecksor wrote:
    Well, I think it's all good, but I had to lean towards English in the end and even put a big dollop of it on a nice ham sandwich for myself as I posted. mmmh.

delicious. SOLD!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I've started eating wedges of cheddar dipped in Colman's. It's rather nice, if you don't mind the distracting sound of your own arteries clanging shut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭athena 2000

I like Plochman's premium natural stone ground mustard - a German style. Heavenly with a smoked turkey and melted swiss sandwich on toasted whole wheat bread. Mmmmm. It's a US brand with lots of zing!

curious mustard myths & facts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

English all the way baby!
    Although Honey mustard is the ultimate mustard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭climaxer

:D - thought this forum was a mirage!

I love Coleman's English Mustard and will go through around a jar a week. Will NOT eat my meat without it. I also like it on chedder cheese. Whats really nice is to get a packet of Tayto cheese and onion and break them up in the bag first. Get two slices of bread with small amount of butter and then spread a fair amount of Coleman's English Mustard and fill with the crisps and grated Kilmeaden Red Cheddar cheese. Delicious.

I've not really tried many other mustards besides the american style ones on burgers which aren't hot enough.

This is :o but I remember my very first taste of mustard given to me by my grandad. Seriously he was eating a chop and I was around two yrs old and was crying for some so he gave me some but their was mustard on it and I loved it!!

Despite my scepticism I've purchased a bottle of French's, which DeVore and Asok love so much ... I suppose I should try them on sausages?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Cheese eating surrendermustard.

Try some on a burger too. Nice.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Whats really nice is to get a packet of Tayto cheese and onion...

My variation on this is cheese singles (the only time I eat them) and hellmans mayo instead of butter. Very tasty.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭Zonko

You failed to include Irish... Although, as much as I loath to admit it, I do like English mustard.

Advertisement