Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is Vaseline good or bad for skin?

Options
  • 03-07-2015 10:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭

I've always used Vaseline on my face at night after moisturiser, my skin seems to like it and I've never had any problems with it. I never know if it's actually doing my skin any good though; some say it's good and some say it's very bad for the skin. What's the general consensus here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭dee_mc

It's a barrier. My understanding of it is that it can block your pores and encourage spots to form etc (probably more so on oily skin types), but if you have very dry skin (like I have) it can stop it feeling so dry and tight by sealing in moisture. I couldn't use it as regularly as you do but when I have a bad cold and my skin gets cracked and sore (maybe from blowing my nose too much!) Vaseline is the job for keeping it lubricated.
    I'd say if you're using it longterm with no ill effect that's great, but I'd question whether your moisturiser is doing anything for you if you need to follow it with Vaseline? Maybe you need a richer all in one product, like 8 Hour Cream or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

dee_mc wrote: »
    It's a barrier. My understanding of it is that it can block your pores and encourage spots to form etc (probably more so on oily skin types), but if you have very dry skin (like I have) it can stop it feeling so dry and tight by sealing in moisture. I couldn't use it as regularly as you do but when I have a bad cold and my skin gets cracked and sore (maybe from blowing my nose too much!) Vaseline is the job for keeping it lubricated.
    I'd say if you're using it longterm with no ill effect that's great, but I'd question whether your moisturiser is doing anything for you if you need to follow it with Vaseline? Maybe you need a richer all in one product, like 8 Hour Cream or something?

See the thing is my skin is very fussy. The only moisturiser I use is La Roche Posay toleraine fluide and I use this both day and night. I find its great but I always use Vaseline over it, I don't know why really, mainly out of habit. It hasn't done me any harm so far but I don't want to continue using it if it's going to be damaging long term. I find it very soothing and softening on my skin. Never gives me spots either, actually couldn't tell you the last time I had a spot!

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭HelgaWard

If it aint broke don't fix it!

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭verywell

It is also good for nails as it helps to strengthen them

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭pipster

Vaseline is not good for your skin unfortunately. It’s not a natural substance (petroleum jelly) so your skin doesn’t really absorb it and they say it takes moisture out of your skin. Its like baby oil, baby oil is good if you want to make your legs looks shiny on a night because it grossly stays on your skin.

I’d recommend not using it as it just dries out your skin more. Most people I know who use Vaseline on their lips say they always have to use it as their lips get too dry which happened me too but when I stopped using it, I didn’t actually need it anymore.

Could you try dermalogica moisturiser, I think its brilliant and its works on all skin types and I’ve never heard of people reacting to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Bored_lad

Vaseline is good for your skin actually and just because something is not natural and organic and all the bs does not automatically mean that it is bad for your skin.

When you apply a thin layer of Vaseline over your skin after your moisturiser at night you are putting a barrier over your skin. This barrier will prevent your skin from drying out over night as the Vaseline prevents any moisture from leaving your skin. Vaseline is also great for this as on a molecular level its is too big to go into your pores so it can not cause acne etc.

Baby oil is also excellent for your skin and can be used as an oil cleanser to remove make up in the first step of a double cleansing routine. One thing to note however is some people may be sensitive to the fragrance in baby oil and if so they should just use pure mineral oil.

Lastly I don't know what the recommendation for a moisturiser is for as that had nothing to do with this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

It very much depends on your skin!

My daughter has very dry skin, so we've tried a few things, and what was recommended by her dermatologist was a barrier. Vaseline is one of them. It has made a huge difference, she has much less dry itchy patches. She just loses moisture through her skin more than me.

I don't have dry skin, so I don't really need anything at all. Never use moisturisers on anything except my face, as that's getting the most exposure to cleansers, toners, sunlight, makeup etc.

I don't get the logic behind dermalogica moisturiser being natural and vaseline not? They are both processed items. (Maybe the difference there is the €€€.)

Bored_lad wrote: »
    Vaseline is good for your skin actually and just because something is not natural and organic and all the bs does not automatically mean that it is bad for your skin.

When you apply a thin layer of Vaseline over your skin after your moisturiser at night you are putting a barrier over your skin. This barrier will prevent your skin from drying out over night as the Vaseline prevents any moisture from leaving your skin. Vaseline is also great for this as on a molecular level its is too big to go into your pores so it can not cause acne etc.

Baby oil is also excellent for your skin and can be used as an oil cleanser to remove make up in the first step of a double cleansing routine. One thing to note however is some people may be sensitive to the fragrance in baby oil and if so they should just use pure mineral oil.

Lastly I don't know what the recommendation for a moisturiser is for as that had nothing to do with this thread.

If you a want a barrier use Vaseline, if you want something that absorbs into the skin to help with dryness use moisturiser.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Like everything I suppose the answer will depend on your circumstances. When my kids were tiny babies Vaseline was the best barrier cream you could use to prevent nappy rash. Yes that's right... On a baby's very sensitive skin.

I use Vaseline (or baby oil) for eye make up removal, and sometimes for if I have very dry skin patches. They do a good job and are very cheap. I also don't get the big difference between many expensive chemical-laden synthetic creams and these two products.

They work brilliantly and my skin always feels great afterwards. I'd have normal to dry/sensitive skin.

Call me Al wrote: »
    Like everything I suppose the answer will depend on your circumstances. When my kids were tiny babies Vaseline was the best barrier cream you could use to prevent nappy rash. Yes that's right... On a baby's very sensitive skin.

I use Vaseline (or baby oil) for eye make up removal, and sometimes for if I have very dry skin patches. They do a good job and are very cheap. I also don't get the big difference between many expensive chemical-laden synthetic creams and these two products.

They work brilliantly and my skin always feels great afterwards. I'd have normal to dry/sensitive skin.

I'm here to give my own opinion, I'm a make-up artist and massage therapist and I'm telling you what I've learnt off many highly regarded professionals and personal experiences. Work away with whatever works you.

• Advertisement

pipster wrote: »
    If you a want a barrier use Vaseline, if you want something that absorbs into the skin to help with dryness use moisturiser.

Yes and if you read my post you will see I say after your moisturiser at night and also in the op's post they say after their moisturiser.

I'm here to give my own opinion, I'm a make-up artist and massage therapist and I'm telling you what I've learnt off many highly regarded professionals and personal experiences. Work away with whatever works you.

Great so you as qualified as the rest of us on here. I along with everyone else is giving their own opinion. My opinion is based on my reading of scientific papers and also from talking to qualified dermatologists and people I know who have received this advice from qualified dermatologists who are hugely respected.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Call me Al

I never said you weren't allowed to give your opinion so I don't understand why the need for the defensive post. Well done on your qualifications.

By the way, we are all here to give our own personal opinion and experiences.
    And that's all they are... Individual opinions and experiences, which is what we were asked for.

Advertisement