Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Why do students get so much holidays in the Summer?

• 05-07-2015 8:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭

I want more holidays :mad:

Serious question though.... why do they get 2+ months of holidays in the summer?

Do you think there is a need?

I remember when I was in school/college it was great, but I didn't think there was a need for it to be so long.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

Be a student.

Then be a teacher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

Ooooooooo lovely lovely holidays:)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,407 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

The Brits get five or six weeks or something.
    They seem to be off as much as as in school these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

I spent my summers shearing sheep though the feckers weighed more than me, stacking square bales (the knot must be on the outside & bottom ;)) picking stones, tidying up the silage pit and when I got to 13 driving a tractor on the roads.

Gotta be done OP :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

The reason there are such long school holidays is because when most people lived off the land they needed their children home in the summer time for the harvest so schools were closed during the summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Mr_Muffin

I agree OP. lets make all of the students work in leather factories instead of enjoying their youth.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

It's a good point. Students here get a month off, I think it's something similar in the UK.

Still, teachers will still complain.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,407 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

mikemac1 wrote: »
    I spent my summers shearing sheep though the feckers weighed more than me, stacking square bales (the knot must be on the outside & bottom ;)) picking stones, tidying up the silage pit and when I got to 13 driving a tractor on the roads.

Gotta be done OP :D

Why the knots outside and bottom?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

3rd level get even longer get 3 months+. I hate being off for so long, I'm usually bored off my tits in the first week, would rather be doing something productive.

Luckily I have been on placement since Jan and their letting me work up until September :D

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭doulikeit

Jesus op, blow the bridge im across

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Aidric wrote: »
    It's a good point. Students here get a month off, I think it's something similar in the UK.

Where are there teachers complaining? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Doylers wrote: »
    3rd level get even longer get 3 months+. I hate being off for so long, I'm usually bored off my tits in the first week, would rather be doing something productive.

Luckily I have been on placement since Jan and their letting me work up until September :D

I'm in college, and by the time I am back in college, I will have been off 4 Months.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

And the correct answer is.. so they could have worked on farms during the busy season.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

a week off every 3 weeks would be class

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Chinese Lantern.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

Shift work.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,298 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

The reason there are such long school holidays is because when most people lived off the land they needed their children home in the summer time for the harvest so schools were closed during the summer.

Learn something interesting every day. Genuine thanks for that info.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

School all year round would be better.A week off at Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭pajor

An old joke, but my physics teacher gladly told us that the three best things about being a teacher are June, July and August.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Let them keep their long holidays, they'll be working for long enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

That's actually not true.

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/updates/debunking-myth-summer-vacation/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Sheep Lover

Because the teachers need the 3 months to plan for next year's curriculum.

Hehe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭KatW4

Aidric wrote:

Not all teachers...

Advertisement