Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Caution - Counterfeit Irish logbooks

• 07-05-2012 11:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭

Just want to put up a quick warning to people planning on buying based on my own experience recently, I bought a vehicle (I don't want to put up any specifics as yet) a little while back, did the usual checks, a finance check from the reg number in the ad, then when I went to view the vehicle, I checked the chassis number matched the logbook etc. Everything seemed ok,
    so I bought the vehicle. Got a phonecall a few weeks after the logbook was sent off from the Gardai saying that the vehicle in my possession was stolen a number of months ago.

What happened was, the vehicle was stolen, complete with keys. Then plates were fitted with reg numbers that matched another 'clean' identical vehicle,
    then a logbook was printed up to match both the new plates fitted, and the chassis number etc on the stolen vehicle.

In future I'll never assume the logbook in front of me of the car I'm thinking of buying is genuine, I'll always either ring shannon with the details of the logbook inc the serial number to see if everything matches up, or I'll ring the Gardai to see if they can run a stolen check on the actual chassis number on the vehicle, not just the reg number. I'm not sure can the Gardai give out this sort of info over the phone though.

I'll live and learn from my mistake, but I hope this info can avoid someone else from getting stung like I did.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Bad luck op. Just shows you can never be too careful. What happened anyway, was the vehicle taken from you i presume?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Jimbob 83

Bad luck op. Just shows you can never be too careful. What happened anyway, was the vehicle taken from you i presume?

Kind of puts it in perspective when people say "If you like the car just buy it lolz"

clinton_i_feel_your_pain.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

The logbook has an Irish Harp embossed watermark, was this faked too? If so it was pretty serious. Oh and never pay cash, always pay by cheque, if you had paid by cheque there may have been a paper trail leading back to the scumbag who conned you OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Jimbob 83

Most people won't take bank drafts nevermind cheques tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Jimbob 83 wrote: »
    Most people won't take bank drafts nevermind cheques tbh.

Exactly. I would never take a cheque.

Forged VLC certs is nothing new unfortunately, though it going to get increasingly common as time passes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,275 ✭✭✭Ardent

WOuld a Cartell check not have identifed the car as stolen?? Last time I used the service, I had to input the VIN...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Ardent wrote: »
    WOuld a Cartell check not have identifed the car as stolen?? Last time I used the service, I had to input the VIN...

The plates were copied from a clean car and put on the stolen car.

I'm taking about the VIN/chassis number which I got from the side of the engine on my last purchase. This was a manadatory field for my Cartell check.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Then the diference between the vin and the reg should have surfaced?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,249 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Yes a history check would have shown up this scam as these checks do flag if there are differences between expected chassis number and the chassis number you enter which in this case would be the number as inspected on the stolen car. The history check people would have the true chassis number on record so would definitely have shown this up regardless of whether there was any stolen report against the reg.

• Advertisement

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Then the diference between the vin and the reg should have surfaced?

Well yeah. Or you can't get a cartell report. Either way, walk away.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Op did a finance check alone based on the reg, then compared the VIN on the car to the VIN on the logbook, that's why nothing was flagged ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

The amount of work thieves will go through to trick honest people out of their money, fecking pissing me off.
    If they only put that kind of work into a real job they wouldn't have to make everyone else's lives miserable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

You know there's a temperature activated point on the back you can press that changes colour to make sure its genuine!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Op did a finance check alone based on the reg, then compared the VIN on the car to the VIN on the logbook, that's why nothing was flagged ;)
    So the moral of the story is to provide all details for the history check?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Compton wrote: »
    You know there's a temperature activated point on the back you can press that changes colour to make sure its genuine!

I'm looking at one right now, is it the circle to the right of the signature?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

yes, press and hold it with your thumb and it changes colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I really feel sorry for you OP. now it's no money and no car :(.

Just what year was the car? Was it newish or something old m8?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Sorry, double post, fecking phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,014 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

There's alot to be said for always meeting the seller at their address which matches that on the VLC.

• Advertisement

Anan1 wrote: »
    So the moral of the story is to provide all details for the history check?

I think so. With everyone having web-enabled phones these days it's quite easy to do the full check on the spot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

There's alot to be said for always meeting the seller at their address which matches that on the VLC.
    Always do this. Bought a car last week for the other half and met the seller in the town, looked it over and went on test drive and decided to by it. Said lets go to your house and have a chat, if they refuse i walk away. Only one guy ever refused iirc

Advertisement