Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Stolen iPhone 3GS - What to do?????

• 14-05-2011 4:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭

My son's iPhone 3GS was stolen overnight. Apparently he had left it charging overnight on the Kitchen table hooked up to our iMac. He got a call on his number demanding a reward. I then phoned and they hung up.

What are we to do now???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭kellsred

Twiggy69 wrote: »
    My son's iPhone 3GS was stolen overnight. Apparently he had left it charging overnight on the Kitchen table hooked up to our iMac. He got a call on his number demanding a reward. I then phoned and they hung up.

What are we to do now???

Not following you here.

His phone was stolen, but not your iMac?
    How did they call him on his number if they had his phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Twiggy69

The oldest trick in the book, just searched Contacts for HOME and rang that!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

You mean the called "home" from your son's phone? Send them a text and ask them to ring again so you can discuss the return of the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭fox007

What are we to do now???

Someone broke in to your home and kellsred wants you to cut a deal with them NO way,
    Call the garda get the iPhone blocked by the carrier!!

Was anything else taken?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Spunk84

they broke into your home and stole a iphone which was connected to a imac:rolleyes: but left the imac there:confused: i think you should be asking your son who he sold it too LMAO;)

• Advertisement

fox007 wrote: »
    Someone broke in to your home and kellsred wants you to cut a deal with them NO way,
    Call the garda get the iPhone blocked by the carrier!!?

And then what...? If it was me I'd play the fool and arrange to pay for it's return.... Couple of mates, baseball bats...do the maths yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

If the phone is insured,contact the network within 24 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,918 ✭✭✭dodzy

barryd09 wrote: »
    If the phone is insured,contact the network within 24 hours.
    Contact the network anyway, insured or not, and get a bar activated. The phone will instantly become an ipod. If by chance he is reunited with the phone at some point, just ring the network, they will ask for a 4 digit code which your son would have to give them to initiate the bar, and it will be lifted.

Still strange circumstances IMO. Imac left ????? I dont think so:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

With respect, your story doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Was your house robbed?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

Hope they stole some of the bull**** from your house while they were there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭kellsred

fox007 wrote: »
    Call the garda get the iPhone blocked by the carrier!!

Was anything else taken?

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

I'm with everyone else on this one to be honest. Tell your son to cop on

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Ask your son some more questions. If they robbed the phone they would of taken more. I take it you called the police as well because of the break in?

Also did you install "Find my iPhone" software on the phone? If so you can trace its location and lock/wipe the phone if needed.

If you did install it but don't have another device, here is where you can activate a search.

https://me.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

What are we to do now???

Get him a Nokia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Give me the number, I'll call them and make them an offer!

Why wasnt the Imac taken ? ? :confused:

Why wasnt the Imac taken ? ? :confused:

In fairness to the OP my house was burgled last year and my iMac was left along with a laptop. The cops said that's not uncommon, mainly cash and jewellery seem to be what they're after.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭paddypowder

naasrd wrote: »
    In fairness to the OP my house was burgled last year and my iMac was left along with a laptop. The cops said that's not uncommon, mainly cash and jewellery seem to be what they're after.

again.. i confirm
    sisters house burgled with her inside.. left laptop and pc
    took phone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Spunk84

I can see a PC not being took but a laptop?

Just as it was said before "iPhone charging on iMac " but the phone was only stolen? So the thieve broke in, took the iphone off the charger, which was attached to the bright WHITE EXPENSIVE iMac but left the laptop there:p

Now a iPhone costs 500'euro new, maybe 300-400stolen:D
    IMac cost 1100-3k new, maybe 800+ stolen

Now I'm not a cat burglar but if I was, I would of taken phone and laptop to make over a grand. I don't think anyone alive today wouldn't know that iMacs are worth money let alone iPhones.

Plus has little tommy confessed to mommy that the big boys in school took it, as the OP has become very quite all of a sudden?

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭ProjectColossus

Spunk84 wrote: »
    I can see a PC not being took but a laptop?

Just as it was said before "iPhone charging on iMac " but the phone was only stolen? So the thieve broke in, took the iphone off the charger, which was attached to the bright WHITE EXPENSIVE iMac but left the laptop there:p

Now a iPhone costs 500'euro new, maybe 300-400stolen:D
    IMac cost 1100-3k new, maybe 800+ stolen

Now I'm not a cat burglar but if I was, I would of taken phone and laptop to make over a grand. I don't think anyone alive today wouldn't know that iMacs are worth money let alone iPhones.

Plus has little tommy confessed to mommy that the big boys in school took it, as the OP has become very quite all of a sudden?

But an iMac is not a laptop, and could be tricky to carry around depending on the circumstances.

• Advertisement
Advertisement