Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Smaller laptop on a budget!!

• 14-12-2008 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭

looking for a laptop solely for e-mail, internet use, and storing some music/ pics and the odd film on. Main concern is the size, was trying to get one 12" screen or less as portability is important. All this on a budget of e400!!! I know that's a bit tight, but if anyone has any ideas, please let me know!

Thanks a million in advance! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Arcee

The Asus eee laptops are supposed to be the business for just the kind of thing you're looking for. I don't know a lot about them but a girl I knew got one in China and she loved it. They're not widely available here as far as I know but I did hear that Peats were doing them.
    http://www.peats.com/cgi-bin/catalog.cgi?view_subcat=1&id=24887&sid=14&cid=20003

Would be interested to know how you get on if you purchase - I'll probably be in the market for something similar myself in the next 12 months...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Going by your criteria especially if portability is your main concern. I'm just after buying an Advent 4211 and it's is very small and light (which is a bit of a change for me moving from my 17" Inspiron 9400 :)). I got it in PC World for €350 but I think I remember seeing them on pixmania for €310. The Samsung NC10 is a very popular one at the moment as well. There is a thread on here about it somewhere so you might want to take a look.

A few things to note about these netbooks. They don't have a dvd drive and wouldn't be as powerful as a normal laptop. They are great little machines though. *hugs 4211*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

Got the Advent 4211c as well. Nice little device. About 90 mins battery life on wifi. No real complaints. :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I only got the 4211, the 4211c has a bigger hard drive. Seeing as I'll be sticking my 320GB drive into this the the extra €30 for the 4211c would be wasted for me. Cracking little things though. The keyboard is great on them as well. I thought it would piss me off a lot for a while but it's fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

I only got the 4211, the 4211c has a bigger hard drive. Seeing as I'll be sticking my 320GB drive into this the the extra €30 for the 4211c would be wasted for me. Cracking little things though. The keyboard is great on them as well. I thought it would piss me off a lot for a while but it's fine.
    Was gonna try get it on finance at the time so decided the extra price would make very little difference, but then just bought it outright and decided to just go with the c model.

The only thing that annoys me about the keyboard is the bloody fn keys position .. but getting used to that a bit now.

• Advertisement

True about the fn key. On my last laptop the fn key and ctrl key were the other way around so it's taking a bit of getting used to. I keep hitting caps lock instead of shift key as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

eVeNtInE wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

I've both a Samsung NC10 and one of the original EEEPCs. For a bit of fun- you can't beat the eeepc- but if you need to do a bit of work on an ongoing basis- or need longevity from the battery- you really can't beat the Samsung. The battery on it is unreal- I regularly get over 7 hours.....

S.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Bought my Dad a samsung for christmas up north, 350 euro, and although i didnt power it up, it's very sleek. The only thing i was surprised about was the tiny track pad, hadn't heard about it before i saw it but it really is small. It's a small price to pay for have a 7 hour battery life though!

Bought my Dad a samsung for christmas up north, 350 euro, and although i didnt power it up, it's very sleek. The only thing i was surprised about was the tiny track pad, hadn't heard about it before i saw it but it really is small. It's a small price to pay for have a 7 hour battery life though!

Yes- I noticed that. Buy a USB mouse- its far handier. There is also a tool you can download for enabling multipoint tapping and scrolling on the trackpad if you do use it (a la the way the trackpad on the Mac Powerbook works).

S.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

smccarrick wrote: »
    Yes- I noticed that. Buy a USB mouse- its far handier. There is also a tool you can download for enabling multipoint tapping and scrolling on the trackpad if you do use it (a la the way the trackpad on the Mac Powerbook works).

S.

Ye, i think ill pick up a nice logitech laptop mouse, have one that i use as my main mouse! It's savage. Yeah ill give that multi touch software a go, but im sure he'd wouldn't care, he's not fussy. Still cant believe that battery life though...

Ye, i think ill pick up a nice logitech laptop mouse, have one that i use as my main mouse! It's savage. Yeah ill give that multi touch software a go, but im sure he'd wouldn't care, he's not fussy. Still cant believe that battery life though...

I was very surprised. I'm used to a Dell 6400 with a 9 cell extended battery. While it is a much bigger screen, different LCD technology and a much hungrier processor- the most I ever got out of it was under 3 hours......

The battery on the Samsung is reason enough to put it well ahead of any other netbook (totally aside from the screen- which is also of a far higher quality).

S.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭JayV

Have a look here

I'm thinking of buying a netbook at the moment. So far its a toss up between the Acer Aspire One or the Samsung NC10. Can't make my mind up :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭ongarite

Definately the NC10. Bigger and better screen and far superior battery life.
    Thats a terrible article by CNET BTW. Can't believe that they ranked it 5th on the list.

Good value from Elara at the minute:
    http://elara.ie/products/notebooks.asp?mancode=&anyallexact=all&manu=&searchBtn=Search&srch=nc10&productcode=&offset=

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭JayV

Yeah, the CNET review isn't great. Here's a much better one for the NC10.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

I don't mean to hi-jack the thread but this may be of interest to the OP too! What do people think of this offer:
    https://www.vodafone.ie/df/shop/ProductDetails.shtml?handsetselected=100227&offerSelected=devices&action=view

Dell Inspiron Mini 9 Netbook:
    Operating System: Windows XP
    Battery: 4-cell 31WHr (3-4 hours approx)
    8.9-inch LED display
    21-31x232x172mm, 991 grams.

I'm looking at getting a portable laptop/netbook but will also need to organise broadband connection. It seems like a good offer?

Its not bad- and the netbook has gotten very respectable reviews. What I would say though- is you are tying yourself into a 12 month contract @ 29.99 a month.

If you do a search on ebay.co.uk- you can buy this for Sterling £230- out of contract- I am not sure what the lowest monthly data contract from vodafone is- but you might be able to save yourself a bit?

Advertisement