Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Give us yer story

Options
  • 13-05-2003 12:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭

I presume everyone has a story on how they came to watch star trek, big brother, family thingy what ever and as barney says sharing is caring so post. I can't recall exactly when i started watching star trek i'd mark it as about 8-10 years ago. The reason i started watching though was i ****ing used to hate the late late show when i was a kid and there was nothing else on on a friday night, then one friday i got to watching TNG at 10 on sky one and it started from there.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I used to watch TOS along with Batman and all the other crap shows on Saturdays, when I was a nipper.
    Then I watched TNG periodically when it first came out.
    Wained a bit with DS9 and the first two series of Voyager. Got back into it when Voyager got good tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I used to watch TOS when I visited my uncle when I was about 10. Then the wow factor with TNG was astonishing. I guess I was about 13-14 when it was on Network 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

From the time they showed TNG Series 1 on SkyOne (back when we had it) I was hooked.

I remember the heated arguments between myself and my sister. SkyOne used to air TNG at 5PM Mondays and Wedsnesdays. My sister would want to watch Clarrisa Does Sweet **** All (or something along those lines) on Nickelodean at 5PM.

Caused many a bruise it did, but the scars were well worth it :D

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 5,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭spooky donkey

Well i used to watch TOS when i was a kid when it was on BBC over 20 years ago. Those were the days when there was nothing else on. I was so young the show usewd to scare me but i still watched it all the time. Then in the early 80`s I rember renting out trek 2 and 3 with my dad when they were new releases end every one told us we were mad not to use betamax. Around that time I rember seeing a trailer for a new Movie called star trek the next gen and thinking how cheesy it looked. How wrong i was in the end. Yeah TNG did start out a bit cheasy but got better.
    My first cinema trek was the voyage home in the classic in rathgar.
    Voyager is the only series that i have missed epps of. Though i will get the season 6 and 7 epps i missed. And i still say DS9 was the greatest trek series ever.

Ive met gates McFadden and Lennord nimoy and got the trek exabition in mosney about 7 years ago.

Oh and i own a uniform though i habe only wore it onece. Crap i shouldent have admitte that one.

Great to see a trek board finnally up.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

I used to watch TOS with my dad when I was a kid. I dressed up for Hallowe'en as a Vulcan when I was 6 (a blonde one but meh! i had fun) TNG was great always loved it again I watched it with my dad, none of my friends ever watched it and so the only person I ever talked to about it was the older brother of one friend.

Have seen all the movies so far went to one convention which was great! Have to go again!

Haven't seen much of Enterprise due mainly to the fact that it started just before my leaving cert and I've not yet seen the first episode. So when I see that I may get into it a bit more.

Meh!

That's mah story anyway, told quite badly I'm afraid!

Congrats on getting this forum by the way!

Regards

A.M

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Picard rulz :) enough said. I got hooked on TNG when it used to be on RTE, then they stopped showing it after "Best of Both Worlds" i think, they didnt show the part where the rescued Picard and it was driving me nuts! Im a regular viewer of TNG, I dont like Enterprise, that guy from Quantum Leap disgusts me, get him off my bridge!! :) Off all the movies, i think my fav is Generations, two great captains trying to stop the evil Dr.Soran, i also have the game, great. Its also where Data gets his emotion chip, funny :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Xithus

I used to love battlestar galactica, I reckon I have that to thank for getting me into star trek.

Battlestar G was great fun :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Sloth

I've watched Star Trek with my dad for as long as I can remember. As far as I know he weend me on it when TNG started back when I was a tiny wee thing.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I watched TOS reruns at 5pm after school when i was a kid. I started watching TNG about 4 seasons into it and got hooked.

I watched DS9 through to the end, and i stopped watching voyager by the end of season 4.

I watched the first half of season 1 of Enterprise and gave up. Utter toss.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Lyconix

I never got into the original series of Star Trek. After TNG had been running for quite a while I watched an episode one night and after that was hooked on it - had plenty of episodes to catch up on and that I did. Got into Voyager and DS9 next, mid-run. Enterprise is the first Trek series I've watched right from the start.

Nice to see the forum up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

your story is so similar to mine its almost funny, obviously we are long lost star trek twins or something, i never got real into TOS either though i did enjoy the films.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

When I was a child, I started watching TNG when it was first shown on RTÉ ... because it was there and my parents said the dialogue was well-written so I really wanted to understand it all. I've always been interested in space and in computers so it's not surprising that I became a fan ... plus I've managed to convert various friends and family members to get into it down through the years

I started re-watching it on Sky when I was about 15 and I wanted to "be" Data. In fact, I think that Data has had a perceptible influence on my personality and outlook on life!

Maybe it's more common than you think, I could never really get into TOS either although I'd watch occasionally ... I find it's too silly. TNG is more balanced - it's got really funny bits but it also tackles alot of serious questions and provided lots of material to "wonder" about when I was younger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

i was a big Geordi fan, probably cos of the visor thing on his eyes, always thot that was cool :) i wanted one! hehe

To be honest I lost all respect for Geordi when he started trying to mate every female hologram he came into contact with.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

i was just thinking the other day that that visor must have been a bitch to work in.

Nah you can see through it easily enough and hell in some very freaky moments during TNG you could see Geordie's eyes through the visor when the camra/light hit it from a certain direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I used to HATE sci-fi... and as a result i HATED Star trek and even Star Wars!!! Not that i watched much of them if any... the reason.. my little brother.. every time i let him rent a video he rented some cheesy unwatchable sci-fi crap thing so it put me off...

Then in Transition year i was in a different class to previous years and got to know a guy who was big into Star trek... So i convinced me to watch it and i was hooked.. it was TNG... the last few years of its life.. By the time it ended i had seen them all a few times as Sky repeated them all the time. I have seen about every trek ep with the exceptio of the original series.. missed a fair bit of that i think.. anyway love Sci-Fi now....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

First I ever heard of Star Trek was from a documentary many moons ago on BBC2 which I thought was crap but one of my parents wanted to watch it.

many moons later I watched one episode of the old star trek on sky Channel one sunday night. then I watched another and another.

When RTE started showing the next Generation I watched that

Sky one showed The Next Generation and I watched it again. The first episode of the next generation was shown on Sky one on the 5th October 1992, why I remember that date escapes me

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I was a kid (5/6 at most) and my Dad used to watch TOS on BBC 2 - and I got into it then, watched TNG when it came out and so on, so forth..

Advertisement