Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beluga whale 'makes human-like sounds'

• 22-10-2012 9:40pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-20026938
    Researchers in the US have been shocked to discover a beluga whale whose vocalisations were remarkably close to human speech.

While dolphins have been taught to mimic the pattern and durations of sounds in human speech, no animal has spontaneously tried such mimicry.

So Douglas Adams may have been onto something!!

Personally I think the whale sounds like a drunk child singing. I've not convinced this is mimicry, but I'm not a scientist.

I've always had a mild obsession with whales and dolphins so this story has warmed the cockles of my heart somewhat, though I remain quite skeptical.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

Theres a goat that can do that to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Personally I think the whale sounds like a drunk child singing.

You'd know all about that Ted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

Sounds like when a child screams into one of these, or those other things - I don't know what they're called, but it's a toy you turn one way and then the other and it makes a boinga boinga noise. (I'm sure no one has a clue what I'm on about though!)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,042 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

That's just some messer with a kazoo

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

So that explains that Mary Byrne one on X-Factor! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Some chap was on here last week and said whales sounded like a Cork person falling down a well.

I think they sound like Chewbacca.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Rigol

aaaaaahhheeeeeeeyyyyaaaaa

eer-oooooooooww

• Registered Users Posts: 12,325 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Have any of ye heard Heathcote Williams poem Whale nation

mariaalice wrote: »
    Have any of ye heard Heathcote Williams poem Whale nation

Have now. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Shure it won't be long now until they ''evolve'' into a higher species and end up destroying the planet with nuclear weapons. I'm surprised Darwinists aren't off their heads with fear at the prospect.

We should kill them all now before they kill us.

• Advertisement

squod wrote: »
    Shure it won't be long now until they ''evolve'' into a higher species and end up destroying the planet with nuclear weapons. I'm surprised Darwinists aren't off their heads with fear at the prospect.

We should kill them all now before they kill us.

Japan's way ahead of you. Always had a sneaky suspicion the Japanese had it right.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Sounds a bit like one of my dogs! :D Very cute.

Rigol wrote: »
    aaaaaahhheeeeeeeyyyyaaaaa

eer-oooooooooww

New world anthem right there. I suggest we all spend some time memorising the beluga song, so that when the new world order begins, we can win some favour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭The Dagda

They're obviously trying to communicate with us humans, and they're saying "stop those russian **** from eating our f**king eggs!"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

• It sounds like me when I'm humming and gargling mouth wash, which then usually leads to a splutter and a lot of coughing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

The Dagda wrote: »
    They're obviously trying to communicate with us humans, and they're saying "stop those russian **** from eating our f**king eggs!"

This post made me sad :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

He's trying to hum the Glenroe theme song

It sounds like me when I'm humming and gargling mouth wash, which then usually leads to a splutter and a lot of coughing.

He probably just had a lungfull of water so.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,100 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Beluga caviar? That would come from the Beluga Sturgeon, which is a fish.

• Advertisement

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Beluga caviar? That would come from the Beluga Sturgeon, which is a fish.

Oh sorry my mistake they're saying "stop the Russians from eating our namesake's eggs" i'm only new to learning whale

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 179 ✭✭King Of Wishful Thinking

Reminds me, seen this earlier:

• This is definitely what they're saying -

This is definitely what they're saying -

Omg, how original.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

The whale died 5 years ago, I don't know how it's just been discovered.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Whales are mammals. They don't lay eggs...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Carlos_Ray

Sounds like he's calling for a jihad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Has the Irish wducation system deteriorated that badly that people now believe that whales lay eggs and eat fish? :(

*I know the beluga and killer whales eat fish but they are more dolphins than they are whales.

Where To wrote: »
    Has the Irish wducation system deteriorated that badly that people now believe that whales lay eggs and eat fish? :(

*I know the beluga and killer whales eat fish but they are more dolphins than they are whales.

Your attempt to look clever failed. Badly.

• Advertisement
Advertisement