Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bug Reports for the new Boards.ie Skin

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Danny

Is there a New Posts link in the new skin?

There is. Hover over/click Boards.ie, 3rd link down

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Thanks Danny, busy day for the boards lads!!

With negative feedback keep in mind that new UI's always take time for people to get used to, dont take the comments too harshly

Thanks Danny, busy day for the boards lads!!

With negative feedback keep in mind that new UI's always take time for people to get used to, dont take the comments too harshly

You bet, today even came with lunchtime downtime :o We've had 4 weeks of feedback from the beta testing/early adopters, hides like rhinos at this stage :pac:

Danny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Well you are opinion guy after all, of course there's no hard feelings and you're free to give your thoughts. I should be asking you to post them over in Feedback though, since this thread's for bug reports :)

Danny

Oh fair enough - I did post here with a bug in my first post though - I couldn't log in via the home page log in link on the new layout

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

I know ipad issues aren't at the top of your list at the moment but...

I'm having to double touch a lot of command buttons, such as 'go advanced', 'submit replies' and even the smilies for them to work atm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

This "bug" is highly minor - feel free to ignore! The image next to my name in the top right corner is broken. It's pointing to https://avatar.b-static.net/275317.gif, which for me is an XML file:
    <Error>
    <Code>AccessDenied</Code>
    <Message>Access Denied</Message>
    <RequestId>315AF167FB41FE5D</RequestId>
    <HostId>
    pKJt/gZpLl/KJuL34FxZAfKMmHU12uPQnEA5xNo86U7Z84nPRuM+MzUlLIFr4qLM
    </HostId>
    </Error>

Screenshot attached.

As my UID is 275317 I assume https://avatar.b-static.net/X.gif gives the avatar of the user with UID X. For Denerick, who also doesn't have an avatar, an image does come up:

214534.gif

So perhaps there's a small bug in the .gif generation code. I won't change any of my avatar settings in the near future, if you want to play around with it!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,300 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Overall first impression - not as easy on the eye as the previous but maybe just a matter of adjustment.

Problem: When I click the View First Unread button it scrolls down too far. In the old version this - post_new.gif Yesterday, 16:16 - would still be visible. With the new version it's scrolling past the stars - white_star_4.gif - under the user ID.
    Browser & OS: Firefox 14.0.1 with Windows XP Home
    Screen Resolution: 1024x768

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Paddy

This "bug" is highly minor - feel free to ignore! The image next to my name in the top right corner is broken. It's pointing to https://avatar.b-static.net/275317.gif, which for me is an XML file:
    <Error>
    <HostId>
    </HostId>
    </Error>

Screenshot attached.

As my UID is 275317 I assume https://avatar.b-static.net/X.gif gives the avatar of the user with UID X. For Denerick, who also doesn't have an avatar, an image does come up:

214534.gif

So perhaps there's a small bug in the .gif generation code. I won't change any of my avatar settings in the near future, if you want to play around with it!

Thanks for the detailed report. It should be sorted now. Can I ask, did you used to have a custom avatar and then remove it? The avatar server was trying to deliver a custom avatar that didn't exist which is why you were getting that XML.

Hermy wrote: »
    Overall first impression - not as easy on the eye as the previous but maybe just a matter of adjustment.

Problem: When I click the View First Unread button it scrolls down too far. In the old version this - post_new.gif Yesterday, 16:16 - would still be visible. With the new version it's scrolling past the stars - white_star_4.gif - under the user ID.
    Browser & OS: Firefox 14.0.1 with Windows XP Home
    Screen Resolution: 1024x768

Can I ask if you have set any non-default appearance settings? (i.e. cosy mode, or sticky header)

It might be the sticky header - I'll try unsticking it.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

Problem solved.:o

Genealogy Forum Mod

Hermy wrote: »
    It might be the sticky header - I'll try unsticking it.

It is the sticky header, it takes up screen real estate. Disabling it will always fix the issue but there are workarounds in place for the jumps that should be getting triggered if you have a sticky header enabled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Type Bug
    Issue the login used to be on the front page but now requires pressing the login button and typing in username and password which used to load automatically in old version or when you clicked on the empty text box.
    Browser & OS Firefox 13 and windows XP and windows 7.

Type Missing Feature?
    Issue when switching between old and new skins the default editor in settings switches from standard editor to Basic editor so all the fancy options to bold Italicise Underline Change colour etc are gone.
    Browser Firefox 13 & windows XP and 7

Screen resolution on both issues is 1024 X 600

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Type Bug
    Issue the login used to be on the front page but now requires pressing the login button and typing in username and password which used to load automatically in old version or when you clicked on the empty text box.
    Browser & OS Firefox 13 and windows XP and windows 7.

Type Missing Feature?
    Issue when switching between old and new skins the default editor in settings switches from standard editor to Basic editor so all the fancy options to bold Italicise Underline Change colour etc are gone.
    Browser Firefox 13 & windows XP and 7

Screen resolution on both issues is 1024 X 600[/QUOTE]

1. Not a bug

2. Possible bug

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

Thanks for the detailed report. It should be sorted now. Can I ask, did you used to have a custom avatar and then remove it? The avatar server was trying to deliver a custom avatar that didn't exist which is why you were getting that XML.

All fixed now, thanks!! Yes, I think I had a custom avatar before but dumped it, as you say.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭bbbbb

Like the new look.
    I use the keyboard to scroll down, usually the space bar (page down).
    Unfortunately a 'page' seems to include the section covered by the floating title bar?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Bosch

New look is very slick. Unfortunately the new menu system at the top doesn't work with touch. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I'm using the old skin but now when I go to "advanced search" it jumps to the new skin & it doesn't seem to work properly..

I can't seem to do a "vanity search" which is a great way of finding if someone's quoted you, so you can reply to them.

I guarantee that if this post is responded to tomorrow, I'll have trouble finding it without that function, because I never venture to this neck of the woods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭OneIdea

The Adverts.ie link on the menu bar stopped working some time yesterday late afternoon/evening...

Mouseover for subcategories:

New skin (beta) / Not Working, does nothing, not click-able (missing a class I think?)

Old White default style / Still Working fine

Using: Firefox 13.0.1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭Boards.ie: Tony

OneIdea wrote: »
    The Adverts.ie link on the menu bar stopped working some time yesterday late afternoon/evening...

Mouseover for subcategories:

New skin (beta) / Not Working, does nothing, not click-able (missing a class I think?)

Old White default style / Still Working fine

Using: Firefox 13.0.1

Thanks OneIdea,

We'll have this looked at.

T.

• Advertisement

Like it on the laptop but consistently crashed dolphin hd on my android.. Stopped loading page at 75% and then the entire browser would crash so I changed back to the old one.

This is for the desktop version.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

<Error>
    <HostId>
    </HostId>
    </Error>

Screenshot attached.

214534.gif

I'm getting the same as Eliot above whenever I do a search (although currently on the Grey skin). I also had a custom avatar months ago.

Here's the XML file if that helps:

https://avatar.b-static.net/288359.gif
    <Error>
    <RequestId>217D12B538292A00</RequestId>
    <HostId>
    ApuwW0xtp69OWtbqz1OUhA22R3PAEKTVncBFw7Wk2ZrBno2bUop7R2zGA+9EDmI6
    </HostId>
    </Error>

RolandIRL wrote: »
    I'm getting the same as Eliot above whenever I do a search (although currently on the Grey skin). I also had a custom avatar months ago.

Here's the XML file if that helps:

https://avatar.b-static.net/288359.gif
    <Error>
    <RequestId>217D12B538292A00</RequestId>
    <HostId>
    ApuwW0xtp69OWtbqz1OUhA22R3PAEKTVncBFw7Wk2ZrBno2bUop7R2zGA+9EDmI6
    </HostId>
    </Error>

You should be fixed now, I'm on my way to look at the underlying issue at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭pred racer

mel.b wrote: »
    I know ipad issues aren't at the top of your list at the moment but...

I'm having to double touch a lot of command buttons, such as 'go advanced', 'submit replies' and even the smilies for them to work atm

Hi, also having issues with Ipad, i cant move from forum to forum without opening in a new tab (or access my pms) if i try to insert a smiley it just closes my keyboard, same with submit reply.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

Type: Suggestion
    Issue: How about a feature / option to allow sub-categories to open when you hover the mouse pointer over them?

for example, if I move the pointer to 'Rec' all the categories drop down, but I have to click the arrow to expand the motoring category.
    I would like an option for the sub category to drop down when I hover over.

Other than that I like the new look

Begrudgingly switched to the new one, and it's starting to grow on me (though I do still prefer the old forum name drop-downs).

Anyway, I haven't read the whole thread so unsure if this is covered already or not, but...

Type: Bug
    Issue: Header menu bar scrolls down with the page
    Browser & OS: Firefox (whatever the latest version is)
    Screen Resolution: Not 100% sure, but don't think it's relevant.

Pretty much, the menu bar scrolling down with you as you scroll the page takes up a lot of space and I hate it, so I turned it off on my profile and all was good in the world.

However, every time I return to boards (after logging out and back in again), despite the scrolling option still being turned off in my profile, the menu bar reverts to scrolling down with me. To put it back to normal (non-scrolling), I have to change the setting back to allowing it to scroll, save the setting, and then go back and turn it off again.

Then it's fine, until I log back out and log in again (in which case it goes back to scrolling down with me, and I've to repeat the above).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭RUCKING FETARD

^^^yup, known bug. Firefox 14 came out the other day so you're aswell give the version number if reporting a bug.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,672 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Morning,

Type: Other
    Issue: When trying to open a private forum (OTG) from a bookmark, being logged out, I'm getting the following error message
    213941.JPG

Browser & OS: IE8 running on XP service pack 3
    Screen Resolution: unknown

I can log in fine by going to the home page or clicking the log in (top right), but then I've got to navigate through the menus to find the forum.

Not a major issue, but I thought I'd bring it to your attention.

Cheers.

^^^yup, known bug. Firefox 14 came out the other day so you're aswell give the version number if reporting a bug.

Well I don't really know what version I have (it usually just automatically updates itself). Not sure if it's been fixed or if I'm just lucky, but it's not scrolling down with me since logging in this morning...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Finding it hard to log in on Firefox 4.0(?) with new skin. The login button on the homepage times out. Had been logging in by clicking on post reply or new thread in any forum but now thats timing out as well. Yet when I click on post new thread on a forum that allows anonymous posting it connects instantly to allow me to start a new thread.

Switch to IE and could use the login link from the boards.ie homepage.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement