Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Evolution and a supreme being.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

philologos wrote: »
    As much as you mightn't like to hear this. But there's no comparison between believing in a Creator God, the necessity which brought all things into existence, and Santa.
    Analogies do break down. The essential premise though is that something we can all agree on being fiction can and often will have backing on differing levels in some form of mythos.
    The reason I brought up Nazareth was because people claimed that Nazareth never existed and was ahistorical right up to the point when it was demonstrated that Nazareth existed.
    Do you presume we should do it the other way? That we should go with something being true before it has been demonstrated? Well, that is what religious belief really is, when you boil it down. I don't think that is an unfair assessment on religion. It is all about the leaps of faith, et cetera... Honestly, though, the existence of Nazareth or any incidental claims are not historical proof of the miracles or the resurrection.
    It's surely off to say that it is circular to argue against your claim. Where did you get that Jesus tells His followers that He's the Son of God from if not from the Bible?
    This is in reference to your citation of Mark 9:9 earlier. Now, before I go to 9:9 it may be worth looking at what 9:1 says.
    And he said unto them, Verily I say unto you, That there be some of them that stand here, which shall not taste of death, till they have seen the kingdom of God come with power.
    Is the "may" there a get out of jail free card? An error with a give or take a couple of thousand years clause? What is the story here? With any other claim, we would say ok that was wrong.

No one ought to take Harold Camping seriously after two failed end time predictions. Of course, if he was to go a third time, most of us would agree that he'd still have people believe him. Same applies to Jesus. Here, it is demonstrably wrong, yet it is believed. Why is this?
    7 And there was a cloud that overshadowed them: and a voice came out of the cloud, saying, This is my beloved Son: hear him.
    Hasn't been any of that lately. Why not? Oh, sorry mysterious ways.
    8 And suddenly, when they had looked round about, they saw no man any more, save Jesus only with themselves.
    The previous verse says they heard the voice not saw anything. So, it wasn't going from seeing something to not seeing it. /Pedant.
    And then we get to 9:9...
    9 And as they came down from the mountain, he charged them that they should tell no man what things they had seen, till the Son of man were risen from the dead.
    Hm, what do we say here... Son of man... That is a bit interesting. Is the son of man intended to be Elijah?
    12 And he answered and told them, Elias verily cometh first, and restoreth all things; and how it is written of the Son of man, that he must suffer many things, and be set at nought.
    Restoreth all things, huh?
    17 And one of the multitude answered and said, Master, I have brought unto thee my son, which hath a dumb spirit;
    Ouch, that's a bit mean.
    18 And wheresoever he taketh him, he teareth him: and he foameth, and gnasheth with his teeth, and pineth away: and I spake to thy disciples that they should cast him out; and they could not.
    That's worse...
    25 When Jesus saw that the people came running together, he rebuked the foul spirit, saying unto him, Thou dumb and deaf spirit, I charge thee, come out of him, and enter no more into him.
    Do I need to say anything here?
    36 And he took a child, and set him in the midst of them: and when he had taken him in his arms, he said unto them,

37 Whosoever shall receive one of such children in my name, receiveth me: and whosoever shall receive me, receiveth not me, but him that sent me.
    Could you clarify just what this is intended to be?
    It's nothing about "victors". We have Jesus' words in the New Testament, and indeed they are likely to be His word, and they match up with the history that we have, and the manuscripts we have are more textually reliable than any other ancient historical text.
    Indeed, it is nothing about victors. It is about believers. We could have a jew or muslim come in and be just as confident about the infallibility of their own message.
    Atheism in attempting to dismantle quite a number of things which make perfectly good sense, has left a void which is devoid of sense, reason, or explanatory power, insofar as there is actually plenty to point to God's existence.
    This is really close to an argument along the lines that an atheist can not have morals. That there is no value in secular morality. That type of argument. I would challenge that by pointing out that religious (Christian) morality is strongest when looked on rationally. Equal treatment of women is certainly not something that is advocated in the bible. Subjugation of women seems to be the moral lesson derived from that book.
    I don't hold back in respect to atheism - because firstly, it is fundamentally dangerous in respect to peoples salvation, and secondly because it undermines what is true.
    Don't hold back. But, by the same token, don't hold back on compelling arguments if they exist. We have much to go in to in relation to authenticating the miracles (including the resurrection) and getting somewhere with establishing absolute truth. Though, absolute truth is going to be a bit of a pain to discuss, I'm figuring.
    I care little about whether the world regards me for being an idiot for that, because this world is perishing, and judgement is coming. I just want to warn of that, and I just want to explain the reasons why I can believe and trust in the Gospel truth of Jesus, and indeed why all mankind can too.
    I already cited proof that this judgement, et cetera is a long way coming. As in, I don't think any of the people purported to be alive for this judgement could be accurately described as amongst the living.
    I'd love to see the basis of that opinion, because I don't think I or many other people would share that assumption. The New Testament, is the most authentic ancient text we have, and it points very clearly to historical realities in a number of ways in which the Qur'an doesn't.
    I can see this isn't really going to go anywhere. Sites sympathetic to one holy text will say its holy text is more accurate, and vice versa. So, you'll go with ones that say your holy text is more accurate and say this is the grounding of your belief.

So, allow me to restate the things you feel are most compelling arguments in favour of a deity (your deity)... Something relating to the bible accounting for sin (which you'll get in to on your next post), incidental details in the bible, prophecies fulfilled, miracles and the resurrection. Is that a fair summary of it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Why does philologos keep ignoring nozzferrahhtoo?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Pedant

id be very interested in your theorem for that one.

so you are not against a god in general, just the one that people like?

I outright do not believe in a peronal and/or immanent god. That is, a god who is engaged, or has been engaged, in either human or indeed universal physical and natural affairs after it is assumed to have created the universe.

I believe evolution can disprove that such a god engaged in human affairs, or effected, somehow, man's evolution or even that god placed life on this Earth.

I believe that after it supposedly created the universe, the universe was left to its own purely physical devices. This would be the case for a wholly transcendent or deistic god.

I reject even the existence of this god but I know I can't fully prove or disprove such a deistic god, therefore I am agnostic to it's existence as it is impossible for me to prove or disprove it.

I regard a deistic god as purely the byproduct of man's thought, not observation. I believe that the suggestion of a deistic god results form the tacit acceptance of the infinite regression paradox, which I believe to display a logical flaw in man's thinking.

Yet, I assert that a universe that did not have a Prime Mover is logically flawed because, according to our minds, something cannot come from nothing.

However, both cases above, i.e., the infinitely regressing Prime Mover and the universe that came from nothing, are based purely on the assumption that time is linear.

The ambiguity here lies with man's understanding of time; is time linear, cyclic or something our minds haven't comprehended yet or are incapable of comprehending.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Pushtrak: I'd recommend using the English Standard Version, it is phrased in more modern English. The KJV is an old translation, and more importantly it uses less Greek and Hebrew manuscripts than more modern versions do.

I'm going to make every effort to go through your first post, and unpack Mark 9 in your second post, and I'm going to make every effort to go through your objections in the second post. Apologies that it has to be a bit slower, I've been quite busy with stuff this week, but I want to respond this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

As much as you mightn't like to hear this. But there's no comparison between believing in a Creator God, the necessity which brought all things into existence, and Santa.
    To begin with I was citing the Bible, not God; I have not discussed the existence of God with you whatsoever. Secondly, if the Bible does constitute a false account, then it is in effect a mythology as valid as the mythology that has grown around Santa for children.
    Which is probably why lumping all religions into one generic concept isn't a great idea.
    Because it's too complicated? No, 'lumping' all religions together is a very good idea as it demonstrates commonalities between them.

Despite what you think, Christianity is not special; it's source shares similarities with the sources of all other revealed 'holy' texts. I even questioned you as to why you might believe in one (the Bible) and not another (the Quaran), given neither is more objectively compelling than the other.
    The reason I brought up Nazareth was because people claimed that Nazareth never existed and was ahistorical right up to the point when it was demonstrated that Nazareth existed.
    No, you introduced a straw man argument; responding to a point I never made.
    There is a whole lot of areas where archaeology can show the Bible to be accurate concerning history. It seems like you're being highly selective in this case.
    I'm not. Just because the Bible is accurate historically in some areas does not wipe away that it is not in others; Nazareth existing does not negate the fact that the Jews were never in Egypt as described in the story of Moses.
    You don't get to pull that line of argument in this case, and I'll explain why. If you make claims about the Gospel which aren't even Biblical, I have the right to challenge them and will. The reason I do, is simply so that people won't be deceived in respect to it.
    Of course the claims I make are not Biblical. The whole point of this argument is wheither the Bible, or any other 'holy' text is true or a mythology, so naturally I will seek arguments from without to confirm or reject this rather than concentrate on a text that may or may not be valid.

It makes little sense to base a discussion that questions the validity of the Bible on the Bible. It would be like trying to prove that Lord of the Rings was a true text by simply citing from it and ignoring everything else.
    It's surely off to say that it is circular to argue against your claim. Where did you get that Jesus tells His followers that He's the Son of God from if not from the Bible?
    Indeed. I gave a synopsis of the New Testament. Without resorting to huge slabs of scripture, do you deny the content of that synopsis? Is it not claimed that he said this by only his disciples? Was their ministry not essentially how they all made a living? When he was killed, was evidence the resurrection essentially witnessed by no one by but his disciples and a few events that are recounted only by his disciples? Did this 'new' religion not essentially reconstitute how his disciples could make a living after he was killed?

You may accuse me of presenting a cynical interpretation of the story, but factually, the above is all correct.
    In this case, it's fair game for me to point to Mark's Gospel and say that you're mistaken. It is very clearly explained as to why Jesus told people not to claim that He was the Son of God prior to the Resurrection. It is because Jesus wanted to ensure that people understood the full Gospel before explaining it to others.
    It is very clearly claimed. If I had made the whole thing up and wanted to introduce information after the fact like that, I would probably need to come up with a reason as to why I had previously withheld it too.
    Have you read the whole of Galatians? If so it would tell you primarily why it was unbiblical. Christianity was both for Jews and for Gentiles. That was clear right from the beginning. In fact it was clear from Abraham that all nations would be blessed through Him (Genesis 12). This was fulfilled through Jesus (Galatians 3). Jesus made explicitly clear that the Gospel was for all, Jews and Gentiles, the Apostles made explicitly clear that the Gospel was for all, Jews and Gentiles. The Old Testament makes clear that the Gospel was for all, Jews and Gentiles.
    I never said that both Jews and non-Jews were not welcome (or targeted) by Christianity. I said that the early Church was split in how much it should conform to Jewish traditions and practices, that those Jews and non-Jews would have to adhere to if they converted.
    You mean, that there were Christians who preached the Gospels, and false teachers as Jesus told us there would be?
    QED on how I predicted you'd respond.
    It's nothing about "victors". We have Jesus' words in the New Testament, and indeed they are likely to be His word, and they match up with the history that we have, and the manuscripts we have are more textually reliable than any other ancient historical text.
    That's very questionable. The gospels were written decades after his death, allegedly by individuals who, for the most part, never even met him. And that's just the tip of the iceberg on that particular topic, which is frankly a mammoth debate in itself.
    Indeed, good that you mentioned Paul and Galatians, because the dating of that book, and the account of Paul's life that we find in it, serve as strong reason as to why the Gospel is not likely to be a forgery or fiction.
    Why does it give a strong reason as to why the Gospel is not likely to be a fiction? Forgery, sure, it could well be an original (or pretty original) text. But even original texts can be full of fiction.

This is why this discussion is really pointless. You presume that the text is true as your starting point and thus see it perfectly rational to use it as a source of proof in your arguments.

I instead see the text as largely fictional; set in a real historical context, but embellished with magical tales that cannot be verified. Possibly the most glaring of these is Herod's massacre of the innocents, because despite the scale of the event, it is not recorded anywhere; by local government records, contemporary or even later historians.
    Are you sure about that?
    Pretty sure, yes. The whole area of St Paul's influence on Christianity, his relationship with St James and the question of Jewish law and tradition is a particular hot topic in both archaeological and theological debates.

There does exist significant evidence that points to St Paul having actively distorted the course and beliefs of early Christianity to a form more attractive to non-Jews.
    Paul was an evangelist who gave His entire life to serving Jesus selflessly. He literally had nothing to gain from his ministry other than death.
    Indeed. When has a religious leader ever had anything to gain from his ministry?
    This issue comes down very simply to Creation.

I can expect miracles if there is a God who has created all things, and is involved in it.
    Bit of a presumption there. A Primum Movens does not have to do anything other than get the ball rolling. to presume he does, and that he would bother with the likes of us in the process, is really little more than vanity.

But even that is not relevant to what we're discussing, because you are now citing the existence of God in relation to your belief in the Bible. Why not a belief in the Quaran?
    I don't hold back in respect to atheism - because firstly, it is fundamentally dangerous in respect to peoples salvation, and secondly because it undermines what is true.
    I would note, with some amusement, that an Atheist would likely say something similar of religion. And I say religion because Christianity really is no more special than any other revealed religion.
    This isn't true either. I'm an example of how God rescued an agnostic. I rejected Jesus Christ for most of my life, I never knew Him. Thankfully, He rescued me, and I now believe in His word, and I now long that people will be saved.
    And those agnostics who convert to Buddhism or Islam? Are they examples of how Buddha or Allah saved them?
    I care little about whether the world regards me for being an idiot for that, because this world is perishing, and judgement is coming. I just want to warn of that, and I just want to explain the reasons why I can believe and trust in the Gospel truth of Jesus, and indeed why all mankind can too.
    And as I said, I wish you well and whatever floats your boat.
    I'd love to see the basis of that opinion, because I don't think I or many other people would share that assumption. The New Testament, is the most authentic ancient text we have, and it points very clearly to historical realities in a number of ways in which the Qur'an doesn't.
    Actually, being more recent, the Quaran has far more third party historical sources that verify its historical background - there's independent historical evidence of Mohamed even existing, for example, which does not exist for Jesus.
    You do realise that Christians believe in the entire Jewish Biblical text?
    Not true. The Bible omits quite a bit of the Jewish Biblical text.
    As for the Epic of Gilgamesh, you'll have to explain your point a bit more in respect to that.
    A Sumerian religious text. It's where the story of the great flood originates, later to be borrowed and amended by Judaism. Just another mythology.
    Faith is simply the trust that I have in the Gospel. - My faith is not blind, it's based on quite a number of reasons, which I have posted extensively on boards.ie over the last 5 years since I have accepted the Gospel of Jesus. It's simply false to say that I've not presented any, and it is simply false to suggest that there isn't any solid reason as to why Christians believe in Jesus. I'm more than happy to go through my reasons for believing in Jesus again.
    If you can cite any reasons that do not presume the validity of the New Testament as a starting point, then fire ahead.

You see, when I say 'preach to the converted' I mean stop presuming that the New Testament is true when arguing, because your argument will be automatically rejected on the basis that I do not share that presumption.

It would be like a Muslim arguing that Islam is the true religion and then only backing up their arguments with vast slabs of text from the Quaran. You'd hardly accept that as evidence, would you? After all you do not share that Muslim's presumption that the Quaran is a truthful source.

As I said earlier, I'm not terribly interested in converting you to my view and am certainly disinterested in being converted and all that we're doing now is going around in those circles I predicted. Would you like to leave it at that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,336 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

I'm going to focus on The Corinthian's posts for now, and I will get to Pushtrak's post tomorrow considering it is quite a bit more meaty.

Yes there is actually. Quite a bit. Examples includes the fact that they both have the same amount of evidence going for their existence (none) and because they are both unfalsifiable negatives they both have the same amount of evidence against their existence too (none) and they are both used often by one party to morally influence the behavior of other parties, amid claims of reward, punishment and an uncanny ability to watch everything you do and think and judge you for it.

The list goes on, but that's enough to set the ball rolling for you.
    Sarky wrote: »
    Why does philologos keep ignoring nozzferrahhtoo?

He has been pretending to ignore me ever since I bested him in a debate and he ran off crying. The pretense is quite comical in fact as a couple of days after pretending to ignore me he forgot and accidently replied to me. Then a couple of days later after that he started PMing me all kinds of aggressive nonsense. Both of which clearly show I am not on "ignore".

From my side it does not really matter if he ignores me or not. I am content merely to contradict and debunk his nonsense for the other readers of his posts and to keep linking back to posts from his history which show exactly who and what we are dealing with here. I can then let other people judge him, his character and his "arguments" on their own. Whether or not HE actually reads them is entirely irrelevant to that.

In fact I am not even a reader of After Hours. Any post I reply to from him on here is because someone has PMed me and asked me to do so. Seems I have groupies :-)

Pushtrak: I'd recommend using the English Standard Version, it is phrased in more modern English. The KJV is an old translation, and more importantly it uses less Greek and Hebrew manuscripts than more modern versions do.
    Thanks for suggesting an alternative source material to reference, but really the fact there are such substantive differences between the sources really does beg the question. And honestly it hearkens back to the point about accuracy of the texts.

The texts can not all be 100% accurate by the very virtue of how different they all are. So, ultimately which bible one chooses is subjective. A subjective means to obtain an absolute truth* doesn't make sense. You personally think this is the best bible. I have no leg to stand on making a claim on which is the most authroritative, but you could get a few thousand different Christians each pointing out their massive issues with all other texts than the one that they personally use.

Christianity then, appears to be anything but absolute. Nebulous may be more appropriate.
    I'm going to make every effort to go through your first post, and unpack Mark 9 in your second post, and I'm going to make every effort to go through your objections in the second post. Apologies that it has to be a bit slower, I've been quite busy with stuff this week, but I want to respond this.
    Yes, I saw you post that you'd be busy. That's fine. Respond as you find the time.

*Not to mention the fact absolute truths is murky water territory.

Pushtrak wrote: »
    Christianity then, appears to be anything but absolute. Nebulous may be more appropriate.

It is worse than even that I am afraid. Pointing to the number of differing source texts with different translations and interpretations between them is only the tip of the ice berg.

I have a now aging, so I would love to hear the current figures, copy of the World Christian Encyclopedia. It claims there are well over 33,000 different branches of Christianity and they often have different, even irreconcilable, views and interpretations of the Christian faith.

Jakkass or whatever username he has shifted to lately will trot in and throw around the word "Christian" as if it indicates mass consensus and majority backing up the views he holds. In fact he spends quite a bit of text in his posts distancing himself from the Catholic faith for example.

Despite being argumentum ad populum fallacy from end to end this also fails because there IS no such consensus and these days the meaning of the word "Christian" is so dilute that when someone declares themselves to be one they have told you very little about themselves except possibly they have heard the name Jesus Christ at some point in their education or lack of.
    Yes, I saw you post that you'd be busy. That's fine. Respond as you find the time.

Meh, he always says that. Has been saying it for years. For example he has been promising to update his Synthesis of his faith and why he holds it for years now, promising to come back and "Update and refine" his arguments but it never happens. I would take any pretense at being busy with a pinch of salt if I were you. Especially from a user who has found the time to make nearly 20,000 posts but somehow has never found the time to put any evidence for his views in one of them. There comes a time when it could not be clearer that time is not the real resource that is lacking here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Some excellent posts by nozzferrahhtoo, Pushtrak and the Corinthian but I can't help wonder how did we get here from a the initial question posed? Evolution and a supreme being?

bluewolf succinctly answered the OP in the first reply, but I'd like to elaborate a little. We have 4 possible scenarios

[LIST=2]
    [*]God - Creates heaven and earth, man created. No evolution
    [*]God - Creates heaven and earth and initates life. Evolution occurs but is 'directed'
    [*]God - Creates heaven and earth - allows evolution to occur independently until such time where smiting becomes an option.
    [*]No God - Evolution occurs
    [/LIST]

(somewhere I know, there is a Christian pointing out that this means the odds on God existing is 3:1 in their favour!)

Now evoultion can disprove the first two, but as for 3 and 4 there is no way to distinguish between those two. However it certainly puts a substantial dent in one of the central tenets of Christianity (and other deistic religions), that we are all God's creation. There are other, better tools for arguing against the existence of God but we'll keep those to the A&A forum for now.

I find it strange that philologos is happy to use science where he feels it might strengthen his argument, archaeological records etc. (many works of fiction are based around existing areas/periods and reference real life events - helps the reader relate to the story) but is rather vague on the main Biblical 'evidence' resorting to semantics and claims of mistranslation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

Of course the theory of evolution can be used to argue against the existence of god. One of the main beliefs in religion is that god created man, our existence as humans is attributed to god. We know this to be untrue, we evolved from other creatures over millions of years through natural selection.

We have nullified the argument and there is nothing else to suggest the existence of a supreme being. Any "yeah but maybe god kicked it all off" is still drawing on the teaching of the bible (which we know to be wrong) in asking the question.

Everything regarding god is a human construct which didnt exist in pre human times.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    We have 4 possible scenarios

we also have the scenarios where there are god/gods but no creation involved with them

Some excellent posts by nozzferrahhtoo, Pushtrak and the Corinthian but I can't help wonder how did we get here from a the initial question posed? Evolution and a supreme being?
    It was rapidly established that evolution only deals with one aspect of biblical literalism. That being done, the discussion developed.
    [LIST=2]
    [*]God - Creates heaven and earth, man created. No evolution
    [*]God - Creates heaven and earth and initates life. Evolution occurs but is 'directed'
    [*]God - Creates heaven and earth - allows evolution to occur independently until such time where smiting becomes an option.
    [*]No God - Evolution occurs
    [/LIST]
    There is a faulty premise inherent in the options you present. It presents the dilemma as if there were one god, one heaven, when in fact there are a multiplicity of religions with their own afterlife mythos. Also, there is the other concepts such as deism which has no such afterlife. Or Pantheism which is that the universe and god are one, as examples. Though this must be the meaning behind when you post the following:
    (somewhere I know, there is a Christian pointing out that this means the odds on God existing is 3:1 in their favour!)
    Now evoultion can disprove the first two, but as for 3 and 4 there is no way to distinguish between those two. However it certainly puts a substantial dent in one of the central tenets of Christianity (and other deistic religions), that we are all God's creation.
    Indeed, the thread has evolved, so...
    There are other, better tools for arguing against the existence of God but we'll keep those to the A&A forum for now.
    I would suggest it is better posted here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

[LIST=2][*]God - Creates heaven and earth and initates life. Evolution occurs but is 'directed'[/LIST]

[...]

Now evoultion can disprove the first two

Evolution and natural selection themselves cannot prove that a god had no influence on our development.

Evolution and natural selection tell us interference from a god was not necessary, it does not say if it did or did not occur.

Occam's Razor can be used to argue that suggesting god was involved is irrational but nothing can truly eliminate the even extraordinarily minute possibility (i.e. it's not falsifiable).

That last point is the ultimate crutch of all religion; because we can only argue why many religious claims are probably untrue, we can't conclusively demonstrate them to be false, that to many is a justification for maintaining belief.

Obviously it's absurd.

I am content merely to contradict and debunk his nonsense for the other readers of his posts and to keep linking back to posts from his history which show exactly who and what we are dealing with here. I can then let other people judge him, his character and his "arguments" on their own. Whether or not HE actually reads them is entirely irrelevant to that.
    I do think that one mistake that we are often led into in such debates with him (I've only just realized that it's Jackkass under a different nick - I probably wouldn't have bothered responding had I originally known) is that they get suffocated in scripture.

Consider someone who claims that the novel "A Tale of Two Cities" is completely factual. Are you really going to waste your time examining vast slabs of text from that novel in debate to determine if it is factual or not?

In reality, one may point to it being in a historically factual context and the characters and their reasons making 'perfect sense', but that does not make the novel factual. For it to be factual, you have to demonstrate first that those contained therein existed and that the events associated to them actually happened. And you cannot do this by simply referencing the novel itself.

Allowing one to get bogged down in debate on a (potentially) fictional source is thus pointless - at least unless it can be compared to an external source that verifies it. And this Jackkass/philologos avoids this like the plague, I've noticed.
    LordSmeg wrote: »
    Of course the theory of evolution can be used to argue against the existence of god. One of the main beliefs in religion is that god created man, our existence as humans is attributed to god. We know this to be untrue, we evolved from other creatures over millions of years through natural selection.
    Incorrect, as you are unfortunately making the existence of God dependant on religion and imposing an Abrahamic idea of God as 'Creator'. Spinoza's God is perfectly compatible with evolution, for example.
    Any "yeah but maybe god kicked it all off" is still drawing on the teaching of the bible (which we know to be wrong) in asking the question.
    Actually it doesn't at all draw from the Bible, which has God as a bit of a micro-manager throughout history. It originally draws from classical philosophy and was better developed during the Enlightenment.

bluewolf wrote: »
    we also have the scenarios where there are god/gods but no creation involved with them
    In a way that's what I was hinting at in scenario 3, albeit probably from a Christian God viewpoint. Could be better phrased as;
    God/Gods - Universe, creation and evolution occurs independently
    There is a faulty premise inherent in the options you present. It presents the dilemma as if there were one god, one heaven, when in fact there are a multiplicity of religions with their own afterlife mythos. Also, there is the other concepts such as deism which has no such afterlife. Or Pantheism which is that the universe and god are one, as examples.
    Indeed, I kept the options quite narrow, the Abrahamic version of God. The scenarios could be amended to be a little broader.

Incorrect, as you are unfortunately making the existence of God dependant on religion and imposing an Abrahamic idea of God as 'Creator'. Spinoza's God is perfectly compatible with evolution, for example.

All religious ideas of god are similar in that they are supreme beings and that they exist outside the realm of humans yet all understanding of them has come from the realm of humans.

The existence of god is entirely dependant on religion, myth and superstition, without which we wouldnt even be debating this and all of which have no credibility. In order to have a valid question you must first have a valid reason to ask it. Does god exist is not a valid question because its reasons for asking it are based on nonsense and myths which are now knows to be false.
    Actually it doesn't at all draw from the Bible, which has God as a bit of a micro-manager throughout history. It originally draws from classical philosophy and was better developed during the Enlightenment.

It all draws from superstition and myth. Is there a god is in the same category as the loch ness monster and big foot. A long standing myth which becomes ever more ridicuuous with the passing of time. The downside to the god myth is that it cannot ever be proven one way or the other. It is in effect a nonsensical statement proporting to the existence of a mythical being. Based on superstition and myth and perpetuated (mostly) by those who accept without question teachings from organised institutions selling fiction and lies.

The notion of the existence of god has come from ignorance and its entirely ignorant to consider it a valid assertion.

In reality, one may point to it being in a historically factual context and the characters and their reasons making 'perfect sense', but that does not make the novel factual.

Indeed. I find often in fact that the existence of factually correct things in the Bible is used by people like Jakkass to suggest therefore the whole book is factual from end to end.

I fear for the sanity of such people if they spend too much time in the Fiction section of their local book store as MUCH fiction works like this. Imagine a historian 5000 years from now, for example, unearthing a copy of the Bourne books.

Cross referencing these books with other history available to him the Historian will find that many of the places, people, events, products, buildings and more referenced in the novels were all entirely accurate and real.

The question is does that lend a modicum of credence to the idea the events in the book actually happened or that a super solider called Jason Bourne existed? No, it does not, but perform the exact same set of checks on the Bible... verify a few characters and buildings in it are and/or were real at the time... and all bets are off, there is a god, and Jesus must have been it's off spring.
    (I've only just realized that it's Jackkass under a different nick

Yes, I imagine this was his incentive to change his nick. His tactic is to find a thread.... evangelize in it.... then when the counter posts get too hot find another thread having thrown all his toys out of the pram in a "I am ignoring you all, you are all nasty and mean, bye" kind of way.... and just repeat the process.

Over and over.

As people got wise to this I imagine the incentive to change his nick in order to keep it up got steadily higher. Given his tactics of "Evangelize... retreat.... repeat...." have not changed I rather expect we will see another nick name change in the future too.

Best we can do is keep referencing his old nicks as often as we can so those that got wise to him before will not be drawn in by a new username. I apologise for not having done it sooner. It might have saved you some posting.

Allowing one to get bogged down in debate on a (potentially) fictional source is thus pointless - at least unless it can be compared to an external source that verifies it. And this Jackkass/philologos avoids this like the plague, I've noticed.
    I'm surprised if he doesn't make (or hasn't already made) the obvious (but faulty) counterargument that the Bible is a collection of different books so therefore they can all be counted as separate sources.

As I said above we got there mainly because of Jakkass (recent aka Philologos) entering into any thread he can find with that is remotely religious, and evangelising in it. He does this everywhere on this site from the After Hours section to the Gay and Lesbian section.
    Now evoultion can disprove the first two, but as for 3 and 4 there is no way to distinguish between those two.

I am not entirely sure I agree. I can see one very clear way to distinguish between the two. The former, not the latter, requires evidence we do not have. The latter, not the former, can be reached using nothing but the evidence we currently have available.

There simply is no argument, evidence, data, or reasons on offer to suggest there is a god. Therefore 3 is unsubstantiated. The evidence for evolution however is abound and none of it required the hand of a creator and appears to function quiet well without one.

I am not entirely sure I agree. I can see one very clear way to distinguish between the two. The former, not the latter, requires evidence we do not have. The latter, not the former, can be reached using nothing but the evidence we currently have available.
    I would say that the former (God present but doesn't direct evolution), requires evidence we can never have, i.e falsifiable data.

• Advertisement

I would say that the former (God present but doesn't direct evolution), requires evidence we can never have, i.e falsifiable data.

I prefer to only comment on the data and evidence we currently have available to us. Postulating what evidence may... or may not... become available to us in the future just pushes on the borders of the realm of fantasy. Neither of us can see the future and so neither of us can make any claims on what evidence may become available there.

Suffice to say that here, today, of your list of 4 scenarios there is only one on that list that is based on evidence we currently actually have.

All religious ideas of god are similar in that they are supreme beings and that they exist outside the realm of humans yet all understanding of them has come from the realm of humans.
    No, I even gave you an example of one that does not fall into that category. You're still confusing 'God' with 'religion'.
    The existence of god is entirely dependant on religion, myth and superstition, without which we wouldnt even be debating this and all of which have no credibility.
    Again, no. Deism is a good example of where science actually supported the existence of a Creator, up until the development of quantum physics.
    In order to have a valid question you must first have a valid reason to ask it. Does god exist is not a valid question because its reasons for asking it are based on nonsense and myths which are now knows to be false.
    Actually I would have thought that man's curiosity about the divine would have given rise to religion and not the other way around. Indeed, pre-Neolithic cultures already had developed concepts such as life-after-death and the supernatural, long before organized religion emerged and even polytheistic cultures had creation myths.

Hellenistic mythology is an excellent example of this as one can almost see the development of such belief systems on a generational level, from primordial deities, titans through to the Olympians (the gods).

So from an anthropological viewpoint, I don't think what you say is all that valid. I think it clear that we've been wondering about the existence of God long before we decided to develop mythologies around the concept.

Imagine a historian 5000 years from now, for example, unearthing a copy of the Bourne books.
    You'd be surprised how many people are convinced that Robin Hood existed today.

I prefer to only comment on the data and evidence we currently have available to us. Postulating what evidence may... or may not... become available to us in the future just pushes on the borders of the realm of fantasy. Neither of us can see the future and so neither of us can make any claims on what evidence may become available there.

Suffice to say that here, today, of your list of 4 scenarios there is only one on that list that is based on evidence we currently actually have.
    We'd all love to comment on actual data but unfortunately when arguing against religion that is difficult if near impossible. The whole point of a belief in God is faith, despite the evidence. It is strange then to see the most ferverent believers cling on to any historical artefact or evidence that might somehow prove God's existence.
    Hey! I live in Nottingham and can tell you that there is an actual place called Sherwood nearby. There is also evidence that large woody plants used to grow in this area, commonly referred to as a 'forest' round these parts. Ergo Robin Hood was real!

We'd all love to comment on actual data but unfortunately when arguing against religion that is difficult if near impossible.

I choose to keep at it all the same :-)

There simply is no evidence, argument, data or reasons on offer to lend even a modicum of credence to the claim that a god exists and I think it worth pointing that out whenever given a platform to do so.

No, I even gave you an example of one that does not fall into that category. You're still confusing 'God' with 'religion'.

I might not be wording it right but I'm not confusing the two. Spinozism seems to me (I havent looked it through in detail) to be another attempt to change the definition of god rather than to base a view that a god exists on anything solid. Its trying to merge the idea of god with what we know even though the idea of god came about because we didnt know anything.
    Again, no. Deism is a good example of where science actually supported the existence of a Creator, up until the development of quantum physics.

I think it would be better stated that science did not contradict the belief in the existance of god rather than saying science supported it. Science at the times I'm assuming your talking about would still have been heavily influenced by religious institutions. I still dont accept the view of a "creator" as anything other than a spin off from religion in the modern age.
    Actually I would have thought that man's curiosity about the divine would have given rise to religion and not the other way around. Indeed, pre-Neolithic cultures already had developed concepts such as life-after-death and the supernatural, long before organized religion emerged and even polytheistic cultures had creation myths.

To have a concept of whats divine though surely you would need a belief system which although maybe not religion in name is little different for the fact that it wasnt organised. Those beliefs were born out of curiosity and ignorance and accepted as fact with no evidence and since perpetuated.
    So from an anthropological viewpoint, I don't think what you say is all that valid. I think it clear that we've been wondering about the existence of God long before we decided to develop mythologies around the concept.

But that doesnt validate the question, it did for pre-historic man and probably held a significance up until the modern age but now the question itself is unreasonable. People have long since wondered about the existence of god because the had no other means of explaining things or were taught that a god existed through organised religions.

Now we know where we came from, we know how the earth and the stars are made. There is no logical reason to keep jumping to an assumption of a divine creator to explain things. The question to me has long since become redundant and is used primarily by those looking to prove something they already take as fact or want to believe a fairytale, that there is a supreme being.

I might not be wording it right but I'm not confusing the two. Spinozism seems to me (I havent looked it through in detail) to be another attempt to change the definition of god rather than to base a view that a god exists on anything solid. Its trying to merge the idea of god with what we know even though the idea of god came about because we didnt know anything.
    Why does 'God' have to be something 'solid'? Are you not allowing yourself to get trapped into the orthodox view of divinity - in effect creating God in our own image?
    I think it would be better stated that science did not contradict the belief in the existance of god rather than saying science supported it.
    No, actually it required the existence of God - Newton's laws of thermodynamics - so it absolutely supported it.
    Science at the times I'm assuming your talking about would still have been heavily influenced by religious institutions. I still dont accept the view of a "creator" as anything other than a spin off from religion in the modern age.
    Certainly there would have been a general wish to reconcile science and relgion, however I would not overestimate the influence of religion either on the minds of such thinkers. Atheism, for example, did not appear in the last hundred years.
    To have a concept of whats divine though surely you would need a belief system which although maybe not religion in name is little different for the fact that it wasnt organised. Those beliefs were born out of curiosity and ignorance and accepted as fact with no evidence and since perpetuated.
    That they developed into religion, I'm not denying. What I am rejecting is that to even ask in the existence of God requires religion - this was, after all, your assertion.

Good point and I probably would... if only my ability to be surprised at the type of things people go around believing had not long long ago died a slow thrashing death and shriveled up into something useless and beyond resuscitation.

On the vast continuum of nonsense I hear daily in fact belief in Robin Hood is actually not all that bad. Relatively speaking of course. Which, if allowing oneself to think about it, is really quite depressing.

That they developed into religion, I'm not denying. What I am rejecting is that to even ask in the existence of God requires religion - this was, after all, your assertion.

Why though ? Curiosity is all well and good but there is a lot of curious things that led people to believe in the existence of god when lacking anything else. Those things have largely been explained by science to be laws inherent in the universe we live in and not something which can be bypassed at will by anything that operates under those laws (which as far as we know is everything).

To ask if there exists some being that can interact with our universe, control or ignore the laws that govern this universe at will in this day and age to me makes no sense if its not based on the many many tales and teachings that people are now aware of through religion. So science and the theory of evolution have dispelled a lot of falsehoods perpetuated by religion, in doing so have dispelled some of the myths religions were based on going back to curious pre historic man.

Curiosity now can be satisfied with facts and scientific data which is used to formulate a logical conclusion. And the existence of supreme beings isnt a logical conclusion.

• Advertisement

Good point and I probably would... if only my ability to be surprised at the type of things people go around believing had not long long ago died a slow thrashing death and shriveled up into something useless and beyond resuscitation.
    And I wish them well. Honestly.

As I said a (good) few pages ago, personally I believe in God. Or a Creator. Or a Spaghetti Monster.

My belief is not dissimilar to that of a child who is getting a bit too old to believe in Santa, down deep knows that Santa doesn't exist, but chooses to maintain the fantasy anyway.

I suppose I believe in the idea of God, more-so than actually believe in God. He's a psychological comfort blanket.

Of course, religion is another matter. I just couldn't manage that level of credulity, even nominally.

Advertisement