Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Traffic lights out- who has the right of way?

• 01-08-2011 1:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,800 ✭✭✭

Hi.
    I'm surprised to find i'm still uncertain about this.
    I always thought (in the case of roads of equal importance at least) you yield to the person on the right if you arrive at the same time.
    What if you're turning right and the person opposite is going straight. You would be coming from their right. What takes precedence.
    And roads of unequal importance?
    Obviously you proceed cautiously no matter what, but just wanted to get this straight once and for all.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

If there are no lights, yield to traffic from right. Follow signs/markings if there are any.
    Traffic that is turning or changing lanes or catching up from behind must also always yield.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Hi.
    I always thought (in the case of roads of equal importance at least) you yield to the person on the right if you arrive at the same time.
    What if you're turning right and the person opposite is going straight. You would be coming from their right. What takes precedence.
    Obviously you proceed cautiously no matter what, but just wanted to get this straight once and for all.

The Person coming the opposite direction.

If the lights are out pretend there are no lights there.

I.E. If you were on a main road turning right into a housing estate, who would have right of way, you or the cars coming towards you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭dell1211

teachers

• Registered Users Posts: 25,317 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Rules of the Road P.99

Right of Way
    • Traffic travelling straight ahead in either direction along a major road has right of way at all times.
    • If you are at a junction where the roads are of equal importance, the traffic on your right has right of way. You must let that traffic pass before moving on. It is important to understand that the right of way is not an absolute right. You must proceed with caution while showing regard for other users of the road.
    • If you are approaching a T junction, the traffic already on the road you are joining has right of way. This means any traffic on the road ending at the junction must wait for the other traffic to pass before turning left or right.
    • If you are turning right at a junction, the traffic coming straight through the junction from the opposite direction has right of way.
    • If you plan to turn right at a junction and a vehicle from the opposite direction wants to turn into the same road, the vehicle that is turning left has right of way. If yours is the vehicle turning right, you must wait for the other vehicle to turn first.
    • If you are approaching a junction with a major road, you must yield to other traffic. This means giving right of way or letting them pass before you enter the road you are joining

• Registered Users Posts: 9,587 ✭✭✭tossy

Whoever has the most powerful car - if 2 cars of equal power then whoever has the newest one has right of way QED :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭vectra

If at all possible, Always give way to the larger vehicle :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Craggy Island

e.g. Octavias etc..:D

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭timogen

Was doing driving lessons for a truck test and actually encountered this problem in ballymun.The instructor told me to treat it as you would a roundabout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭laughter189

Hi.

If you are crossing the white line , you must always yield .

A driver turning left or driving straight on will not be crossing a line

• Registered Users Posts: 28,656 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

In theory: All of the above

Reality: Free-for-all as 99% of drivers won't know the above anyway! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

tossy wrote: »
    Whoever has the most powerful car - if 2 cars of equal power then whoever has the newest one has right of way QED :D
    Completely wrong, whoever has the oldest/crappiest car has right of way, after all he has least to lose.:p

Advertisement