Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Under 14s playing their AI final next weekend I think v Kildare

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,021 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Under 14s playing their AI final next weekend I think v Kildare

Apparently it's Kildare's U16's team....:pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭lala88

Ah see lala, this is where your lack of ladies football knowledge shines in taking that pop at me - Cork won 4 out of the last 6 Aisling McGing, lost 1, and missed out reaching last years final by a point in the semi final v winners Dublin, and it is widely said around Cork and within other counties that because the Cork A side being so strong, the second side was extremely strong as well, so wanted to change it to U21 competition to negate that fact; changes that were also changed to the underage competitions to stop Cork/Kerry dominance. In fact, Galway who they beat, had widely canvassed for this U21 competition! 6 competing counties last year as opposed to over double that number this year shows the change that was supposed to stop Cork's domination of the ladies game!

See, there is absolutely no bias when talking about fact, and if you were involved with the politics of the ladies game, you would know :D:D:D

Listened to the footballers game, not sure again of them. Backs had a torried enough time, nice to see Goulding back and in good form. What was the issue with Sheehan that he did not start?? And D O Connor?

No im actually talking about this quote ''No disrespect to Clare, and this'll add to the whole 'smug Cork-man' bit, but we should be walking all over them, especially with that man in charge of 'em.''

Not doing a very good job as a mod if you missed that. But then again you most likely agree with that and just so happened to miss it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Thinkstoomuch

In relation to the post "we should be walking all over Clare,I find with all due respect , it is complete rubbish,and far from the harsh reality of the truth.

Why do people think we are superior and Cork have the right to expect that??? because Cork are Cork and we have a divine right to beat Clare,because that is the way it was in ancient times.Of course ,we are like mushrooms,we come overnight.
    This attuide just sickens me to the Core, and is commonly held amongst those at the top table in the CCB .Time has or never will wait for anyone.Cork Hurling is still stuck in the Dark ages in some ways.

Even talking to the older generation,they still believe in that theory.That is itself our biggest problem.We are Cork,no need to panic,any problems will sort themselves. Hurling is too competitve now to expect things just to happen.The work and structures have to be put in.

The days of playing two big games and winning an all ireland in 1990 are long gone.The right structures and work have to be put in at all levels.Their is no short cuts to real and contuined success at any level in any sport.

Cork Ladies football proved that.The work that they put in at underage and under Eammon ryan years and years ago,has really transformed Cork to the top table.That did not just happen. Cork ladies football is like KK in hurling,they can feel they have the right to walk over any county. Yes,those two teams have earned the right to such arrogance.
    But the fact reamains,with Eamon Ryan and Cody involved,while their will be blips now and again,Success will not never be too far away.

And why??cause they earned that right,and they deserve immense credit for doing so. Cork Hurling has lost that right.Cork under age hurling is in deep trouble.

The Minors badly need to beat Waterford in two weeks.After the Clare win,people seem to think we have turned a corner.The 26th of June will prove whether we have or have not.Win that game and at least we have ,2 games at the very least and guaranteed a quater final. As for  the U21 team,its a big ask with the current management team in place.

I don't think id be far off the mark to say that the Carlow U21 team are better prepared than our team.Talent wise,Cork has a bigger pick,but Carlow get the very best from their players.Even Westmeath ,got the best from their team and pushed wexford to the limit.

Carlow,have had the likes of Kevin Ryan,Paul Flynn,Gerry Fitzpatrick ,and now John Meyler all doing huge work up their in the past. Brian Hanley is a top class coach with westmeath.Cork County board choose managers at underage level that have no proven record in successful teams,and if thats not bad enough,they reappoint them for new terms,and no questions are asked.

The obesession with picking ex players from the 1990 Cork team to be involved with Intercounty teams,is just beyond a joke,as most of them have been appointed coaches in Cork teams at one level or another,and have done nothing as coaches to merit to even be shortlisted for the jobs in the first place. The execption to this Rule is Ger Cunnigham,who has had great success with Ballygunner and UCC.Unfortunately though,he is more of hes own man and wouldnt be involved in the current set up but for JBM,as he is everthing the powers to be do not like.

The fact he was overlooked in 2007 for any job in Cork hurling really say it all.And again ,one of those picked ahead of him was Denis Walsh.A great player,but no proven record at all. In truth,and the harsh reality is Cork have no reason to feel we should WAlK OVER Clare at any level in Hurling.In football their would be logic to back that view up but not in hurling. In recent times Clare have put huge work in their underage teams,and are doing even more.

They have top class coaches involved.Clare having won two all ireland U21 titles and only loosing the minor to a highly rated KK team by one point,are buliding for the future. Cork are standing still.Rebel Og,was meant be to be the saving grace,but typical that when it originally started ,it was not thought through and had to have changes made with it down the line.

Clare have got everthing they deserve.Should Clare do what seems likely and beat Cork,then you can only credit them and the only thing I begrude is not their success,but the fact Cork dont do the same.

If they beat Cork they have deserved it. If we loose,then it something that you can not say was unexpected.Compared to the work we have done in relation to other Counties  in terms of developing talent the last 6 years,and the politics that ruined Cork Hurling ,and that still does,Corks progress has not just remained at a standstill but in fact gone backwards.

The amount of players we are loosing to other sports,really shows Cork hurling is not seen in the same light as before.And their is more promising dual underage stars,like Alan Cadogan,Jamie Wall,Mark Sugrue that could be lost to the football team in the future.Even when it is very hard to get on the Football team,such is the depth of the panel,their is no compelling reason they will choose Hurling. The Current crop of Cork hurlers have been suffocated with loosing big games from underage up.

Cork have lost two league finals,both been totally outplayed.We lost numerous  close games,the last few years,showing their is a crucial lack of self belief in the current team.With youngesters it is easy to change old habits.But when you get guys of 24 or 25'years of age that have lost game after game down the years,even good players question their talents.

Offaly won their first minor hurling title in 1986,out hurled a highly fancied Cork team.They are an example. It was no fluke.Seven of that offaly team had won all ireland Colledge medals with Birr in 1986 .
    They were given no chance to beat Cork, a Super power in Hurling back then,but the fact they won at Colledge level, had given them a new mindset unknown to Offaly Hurling.

The mindset was,we are as good as the rest. JBM has taken over a team that unlike the Clare team and the Cork team of 1999,does not know the art of winning.With the 1999 team,he had guys that had won minor and U21 all irelands with Cork.

They had no fear,they never unlike the current team that on Sunday,HOPES to win,that team expected to beat Clare,in 1999,even as underdogs against a highly expierenced and battle hardened team.

And  until Corks underage structure is fixed,the view of being confident that we should walk teams like Clare or any other top 6 team, ,is a bit far fetched to say the least.

Even aside from the injuries we have currently,Cork Hurling has serious problems.And if we loose,Sunday,while they played a part,Injuries are not the only reason Cork hurling is struggling.Being relegated shows that.

If Clare win on sunday,a lot of geuine Cork GAA people will know they have got where they are by hard work and proper planning.And from the Cork side of things,we are where are from years of doing the opposite.And the worse thing is,their does not seem to be much done to change that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

^^^^
    Excellent post.
    In times gone by, if every county was only putting in a small bit of effort with underage coaching and structures, then counties like Cork, KK and Tipp were fine as they would still have more than enough.

If and when other counties get their sh*t together and appoint proper coaches and trainers then the big counties need to do likewise to stay ahead of the posse, otherwise that gap closes.

Its rare to see a Cork team with so few medals between them. Often the senior team consisted of older players with a smattering of senior Munster and All Ireland, this was then complemented by younger players with minor and U21 silverware.

KK still aren't on top simply because their KK, its because of the work they do underage to have a conveyor belt going to senior.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

lala88 wrote: »
    No im actually talking about this quote ''No disrespect to Clare, and this'll add to the whole 'smug Cork-man' bit, but we should be walking all over them, especially with that man in charge of 'em.''

Not doing a very good job as a mod if you missed that. But then again you most likely agree with that and just so happened to miss it...

Ah sorry, did miss it, I only skimmed the posts - thanks for pointing it out, use the report post function next time please!!! Don't try and derail the threads, and if you have a problem with the way I moderate, you are free to take it further, but don't use these threads for any personal agenda you may have against me and derail it for the rest of those people who post on here!!

I actually have huge respect and admiration for Davy Fitz, met him a number of times and his passion is unreal. Absolute attention to detail in everything he does and fantastic work ethic in whatever he does, sometimes not in the right way. I think he is a good fit to work with a developing squad, given his success with LIT.

I agree with thinkstoomuch about the mushrooms, and this divine right the Cork men's teams have to win no matter the opposition. Hurling is in serious decline in Cork, and the systems are ages away from bearing fruit.

KK put systems in place about 15 years ago at this stage, getting former hurlers involved and trainined up as coaches, starting development squads. They have a fantastic little coaching book available to every coach in the county for free, I got my hands on it a few years ago and it was very impressive. Cork needs someone like Donal O Grady to be a director of hurling and lead this forward.

Coming from the ladies football point of view, it probably started 20 years ago, with a development squad at underage level that ended up being quite successful, and then Eamonn came in when they were coming onto the senior scene to gel those older girls who were there with the younger girls coming through. Work goes on at u13 level all the way through to senior and there is always players coming through. There is huge work going on at underage, with so many teams focusing on perfecting the basic skills, and it has gone from there. At club level, there is a big push to have qualified coaches coaching the girls. Clubs accomodate the senior girls - girls could play two football games in the one weekend due to their commitment to their clubs, and its playing games that helps players the most.

Camogie has fantastic potential, but problem is they are not being managed properly at U16/minor level - they were winning everything around them at U14 2 years ago, every blitz coming home with two if not three titles, but players playing in wrong positions etc ended up not translating that success further on.

the biggest problem is that not everyone in Cork is on the same page - the last time JBM was in charge, he has players coming through from successful minor and U21 teams, as well as Harty teams, whereas there is nothing now. Now looking at someone like Galway who has huge underage success, it does not always secure senior success, but it goes a long way. Winning is a habit - and with the girls, it is a habit that has come all the way up from underage.

JBM might be the right man in charge, but he simply does not have the raw materials to work with. There are so many footballers and hurlers going playing soccer and rugby over GAA, and we have to ask why? A proper strategic plan needs to be put in place to tackle it, but as long as certain people remain within the county board I don't see it happening. Its asssumed because it is Cork they will have success, but its not. You have to work very hard for that success

Ah see lala, this is where your lack of ladies football knowledge shines in taking that pop at me - Cork won 4 out of the last 6 Aisling McGing, lost 1, and missed out reaching last years final by a point in the semi final v winners Dublin, and it is widely said around Cork and within other counties that because the Cork A side being so strong, the second side was extremely strong as well, so wanted to change it to U21 competition to negate that fact; changes that were also changed to the underage competitions to stop Cork/Kerry dominance. In fact, Galway who they beat, had widely canvassed for this U21 competition! 6 competing counties last year as opposed to over double that number this year shows the change that was supposed to stop Cork's domination of the ladies game!

See, there is absolutely no bias when talking about fact, and if you were involved with the politics of the ladies game, you would know :D:D:D

Listened to the footballers game, not sure again of them. Backs had a torried enough time, nice to see Goulding back and in good form. What was the issue with She,ehan that he did not start?? And D O Connor?
    Firstly,congrats to the ladies ,fair play to them.In relation to my last post,this just proves success is something that is worked on.Cork Ladies football may have lost one of it's greatest ,in Murphy retiring but the future looks bright.

In relation to the backs on the senior team,they were poor but it can be fixed quite easily,but I am beginning to wonder is Counihan going back to hes old ways and staying too loyal to past players that will not win Cork another all ireland.
    Cadogan was poor,but he is just back from injury I have no fear for him,as he has always been a big match player for Cork in Hurling and foootball.
    And last year against Donegal and this year he was excellent.He wont have a bad game against Kerry.

The biggest worry is Kissane.I have said this all year,he is a weak defender,and while he has a savage engine,he is lacking real pace.
    I feared Ger collins would roast him the last game.He was lucky as Collins got no ball.

Micko is no fool and targeted him all day long.He was brutal.But do not forget he was poor last year against Ger brennan too.

I hope Jamie Sul is recovered from injury,as then Kissane should be no where near the starting team.
    But Counihan simply refuses to drop certain players that won Cork the all ireland.Continued stupidity in selection will cost Cork dearly against Kerry.

With a fully fit team,Cork i do believe can beat kerry.My fear is the team he picks.

Pearse O Neill was like i said the other night,only knows one way to play.He ran in to tackles,slowed play down,clare just blocked the centre time and again.
    I dont blame O Neill,but Counihan for picking a guy that can not or never will play a direct game.

Gould is another favourite of Counihan.To pick him over sheehan for killarney would be just madness.
    Gould worked very hard and scored a few in fairness but last year he done the same against Clare but can not score in big games.John O Rourke was very good and like Kelly are nailed on to start in Kerry.
    If it is a choice between Sheehan and Gould,it has to be Sheehan.Literally on the field he scored a point.

I would have no bother him playing Gould in the half back line or even as a sub at midfield if Canty gets injured.
    Sheehan was not injured, but id say they were saving him for Killarney.
    Id hope today was a bit like the Lions,play some of the dirt trackers,in the midweek game but the irreplacables you keep for the test games.
    Id say it was the same with Walsh, he should be fine for Killarney.
    Hurley was superb, bar the free taking he could not be faulted.
    He has no fear of Kerry,and has like Colm O Neill did always played well against them.
    Goulding was very good.

Cork with Collins on the bench and O Driscoll have options on the bench with Donnacha O Connor too.

DOC was dropped as Goulding and Hurley were in fine form and Donnacha has been injured of late.
    Kerrigan was in and out of the game.
    He will start the next game but Donnacha is a super super sub to have.

Clare as I wanted gave Cork a good game and Micko who had never served Cork well down the years, done us two massive favours today though.
    He exposed Kissane and O Neill.
    Clare were never going to win,but they never gave up and beat the handicap.
    He has done so much good work in such a short space of time.

Its sad though that even with him as a manager,the greatest football manager ever,Clare are not really supporting the footballers.It is all about the hurlers at present.

That could be seen on the Clare thread even,I asked a question about the football team and not even a reply.
    Clare football will like our own team be second best in terms of hurling support.

Loughrey was immense,and he can kick pass the ball long.What an asset to the team,he is.
    Cahalane,Loughrey and Clancy as a half back line with Canty sweeping would be immense.
    And a full back line of Shields,Cadogan and Jamie Sul is the best in the business.
    And 3 can do a horses for courses job on the kerry forwards.
    If lessons are finally learnt by Counihan and he lives in the here and now and not reputations of past glories,and picks the players on form,Cork can beat Kerry.
    Time wil tell,has he finally learned from he's mistakes?????

Ah sorry, did miss it, I only skimmed the posts - thanks for pointing it out, use the report post function next time please!!! Don't try and derail the threads, and if you have a problem with the way I moderate, you are free to take it further, but don't use these threads for any personal agenda you may have against me and derail it for the rest of those people who post on here!!

I actually have huge respect and admiration for Davy Fitz, met him a number of times and his passion is unreal. Absolute attention to detail in everything he does and fantastic work ethic in whatever he does, sometimes not in the right way. I think he is a good fit to work with a developing squad, given his success with LIT.

I agree with thinkstoomuch about the mushrooms, and this divine right the Cork men's teams have to win no matter the opposition. Hurling is in serious decline in Cork, and the systems are ages away from bearing fruit.

KK put systems in place about 15 years ago at this stage, getting former hurlers involved and trainined up as coaches, starting development squads. They have a fantastic little coaching book available to every coach in the county for free, I got my hands on it a few years ago and it was very impressive. Cork needs someone like Donal O Grady to be a director of hurling and lead this forward.

Coming from the ladies football point of view, it probably started 20 years ago, with a development squad at underage level that ended up being quite successful, and then Eamonn came in when they were coming onto the senior scene to gel those older girls who were there with the younger girls coming through. Work goes on at u13 level all the way through to senior and there is always players coming through. There is huge work going on at underage, with so many teams focusing on perfecting the basic skills, and it has gone from there. At club level, there is a big push to have qualified coaches coaching the girls. Clubs accomodate the senior girls - girls could play two football games in the one weekend due to their commitment to their clubs, and its playing games that helps players the most.

Camogie has fantastic potential, but problem is they are not being managed properly at U16/minor level - they were winning everything around them at U14 2 years ago, every blitz coming home with two if not three titles, but players playing in wrong positions etc ended up not translating that success further on.

the biggest problem is that not everyone in Cork is on the same page - the last time JBM was in charge, he has players coming through from successful minor and U21 teams, as well as Harty teams, whereas there is nothing now. Now looking at someone like Galway who has huge underage success, it does not always secure senior success, but it goes a long way. Winning is a habit - and with the girls, it is a habit that has come all the way up from underage.

JBM might be the right man in charge, but he simply does not have the raw materials to work with. There are so many footballers and hurlers going playing soccer and rugby over GAA, and we have to ask why? A proper strategic plan needs to be put in place to tackle it, but as long as certain people remain within the county board I don't see it happening. Its asssumed because it is Cork they will have success, but its not. You have to work very hard for that success

A superb post.Great minds thing alike.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,021 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

A superb post.Great minds thing alike.

Fools seldom......:D

]Quote]
    In relation to Davy Fitz,Id agree he is a good coach.I am not a huge fan of the hysterics that he sometimes brings to the game though.

One example was he getting involved with Johnnie Crowley in the league game in Cork in March.No need for it.
    I see why he does it though.It has always been Davy against the World mentality though and he does a lot of it to shield hes teams from the spot light when all the focus is on him.

I think hes inability to always keep calm can work against him, however i have noticed a more calmer Davy after the Waterford Game.He still had the edge,but he was calm and composed.
    The first thing he done was played Cork up about how it would be nearly impossible to beat them 3 times.

I dont doubt hes passion or drive and he was a superb keeper,love or hate the guy.

Their was some excellent insights in to him in Christy O Connor,excellent read,Last Man standing.

In relation to LIT he done savage work.I'll say one thing about him,he is really up to date in modern methods.He is not afraid to try new things.
    He brought in John Carey,sports physcologist to work with the team.

It changed their attuide and mentaility.
    He done the same with Waterford in 2008,and it benfited them.
    Im a huge fan of JBM,but one thing i find he is very much old school in these methods.

He does not seem to want or have any idea in engaging the thought of sports physology with the Current Cork team.
    He had said that when he first took cork over last year,he could never have thought the amount of fitness and nutrition and training etc that was needed in the modern game would reach the level it has.
    He does not seem too keen on this side of things though.

Personally,such is the lack of belief and failures ,of recent Cork teams,I believe one can only help this bunch.

John allen ,whos main strengths has always been more of developing communications and trust within a group brought John Carey,who i mentioned above, on board the Cork hurlers in 2005.

That was a team full of all ireland winner but it helped them.

Ronan Curran spoke glowing afterwards of how it helped him.
    Allen has brought Julieanne Mccauliffe on board to work with the current Limerick team.
    Tippereary and Dublin,had Caroline Currid with them and Tyrone were the same.
    Kieran Shannon has worked with Mayo and Fermanagh in the past.
    Armagh had Des Jennings involved when they won the All ireland.
    Wexford,under Liam Griffin,used Niamh Fitzpatrick in 1996.
    The Cork football team have used Kevin Clancy during the last 4 years.

The trend is that while it wont win you games alone,it certainly helps.I would love to see the Cork Hurlers use their expertise,as confidence and belief has to be fairly low in this current team.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭lala88

Seems to me if your a mod you should be doing more then ''skim'' posts, im sure you have an excuse for why thats all you do.... Dont see why i should be reporting posts when its supposed to be your job..

I have reported the way you ''moderate'' but surprise surprise nothing was done. Funny how other mobs claim not not notice there follow mobs being bias, i wonder why that is....

A very good article from the paper today.He speaks well of Donal Og Cusack.

During Cork's win over Limerick at the Gaelic Grounds, Eoin Cadogan spotted Mick O'Dwyer in the stand taking in proceedings. The Clare manager was checking out his opposition for the Munster football championship and Cadogan was on his radar.

The Cork defender is that kind of footballer, the type who sparks interest, the one you'd check for on the team-sheet and the guy you'd go into battle with. His never-say-die attitude has earned him a reputation that precedes him "Nobody likes losing," says Cadogan. "And any time I became any bit irate on the pitch it was from passion and a will to win more than anything else." No one can question Cadogan's dedication.

He has been a dual player for several years so when he returned from a trip to Australia in January and decided to throw his lot in with the footballers more than a few eyebrows were raised. Cadogan became the latest in a long line of big names to depart Jimmy Barry-Murphy's hurling squad. The demands of the two games was a big issue and played a role in Cadogan's decision to opt out of the hurling set-up, but there's no denying that he'd be still involved if things had been different.

Cadogan would love to be gearing up for two big games against Clare, today's football clash and then next week's Munster hurling semi-final in the Gaelic Grounds. He's put it behind him now but is he disappointed at how it has turned out? "It is what it is, but my focus is on the football now, that's all done and dusted. Will I watch the hurling? Of course and do I want them to do well? Of course. I have lots of good friends on the team." Dónal óg Cusack is another player who is a notable absentee from the Cork hurling panel. Back in February when the goalkeeper was controversially left out of the squad, Cadogan sent out a tweet supporting his former team-mate.

It read: 'Seems strange a man who does 9 months recovery 5/6 times a week doesn't even get a chance to prove he's worth a place on the panel.' Out of respect for those who are there now, Cadogan won't be drawn further on whether Cusack should be on the panel still. But it's clear he holds the Cloyne man in high regard. Soon after he became a senior player in 2007, Cadogan was catapulted into the full-back line, taking over from Diarmuid O'Sullivan.

He had big shoes to fill and Cusack's influence was vital. "I have a lot to thank him for; he took me under his wing and really brought me along. Anyone who plays in the full-back line will tell you that the goalie is your eyes behind." Cadogan also feels that Cusack will make a good manager in the future. "He has a great passion and love for the game, sometimes I tell him to switch off and stop thinking about it but he is always thinking about it. He's always looking for ways to better himself or a team. He gives 110 per cent always; he has the perfect attributes needed to be a manager.

I just hope that it's within our own county. "He'd be a tough taskmaster, we had our fair share of bust-ups when we were playing. Just coming into big games when the pressure is on and things aren't going well in training. It happens in football too, sometimes when there is a row in training you know you are at the edge of where you want to be for championship and that is only healthy. We always put it behind us, we don't hold grudges. "He has good ideas and his attention to detail is excellent especially when it comes to specific things like work rate, how a team sets up and puck-outs. He always has a good knowledge of what teams are at and how they are playing."

It's been an eventful year for Cadogan. Along with parking his hurling career, he's also made some changes in his professional life. An electrician by trade he had been working as a salesman but spending a lot of time on the road does not sit well with being an inter-county player. Something had to give, and it wasn't going to be sport.

So Cadogan decided to return to college with the ultimate goal of working in an industry that he was passionate about. Fitness and training has been a constant feature in his life so he enrolled in Setanta College to study physical fitness and conditioning and immediately felt he was going down the right career path. "Most of my time is spent playing sport so what better way to make a living then doing something that I love. Seán O'Sullivan from Kerry, Carlow manager Anthony Rainbow and Willie Heffernan from Kildare are all on the course too.

You are learning constantly from their experiences and from people from different sports." Cadogan would like to go working with a team; it doesn't have to be in Gaelic games he's happy as long as he's in sport. With strength and conditioning forming such a big part of team preparation, he can envision a time when every county has a full-time S&C coach.

"You need to catch young fellas early to develop them properly and if you have a strength and conditioning coach in place who is gradually progressing through under 16, minor and on to under 21, you will definitely see results. Players will come through. They will be more physically developed when they do come through for senior level.

"From an inter-county point of view, the GAA has moved on a huge amount in recent years in terms of preparation. Ten years ago, the strength and conditioning coaches were probably known as the guy who ran fellas around the pitch. Now you are probably dealing with them more than anyone else in the backroom team, whether it is recovery or weights sessions, warm-ups or cool-downs, you are dealing with these guys all the time."

Last November after years of back-to-back seasons with both the hurlers and footballers followed by club commitments, Cadogan decided to take some time off and do a bit of travelling. His course is predominantly online so it wasn't an issue; he went to Perth first to catch up with friends before meeting his girlfriend in Sydney. Once he hit Sydney Cadogan was ready to get stuck into some pre-season training. Cavan's Nicholas Walsh is based there working with the GWS Giants as strength and conditioning coach.

The AFL team were in the middle of their own pre-season so he invited the Cork star to take part in a few sessions. "I came back in good enough shape. From December 7 to January 7, I did 28 sessions whether it be running or swimming. I returned home on January 10 and was back training a day later." That dedication epitomises Cadogan's character. He's a true professional, a hurler, a footballer and a rebel with a cause.

That's the crucial difference for me why Cork have fell behind KK, they stood still while KK moved forward.

Part of the reason there's been success underage in Clare recently is because we copied the methods used in counties like KK and Tipp. We didn't try and reinvent the wheel, just copied it and added our own spec.

A few former players went to around to different counties to see what work was being done underage and sought to out the same structures in place in Clare with development squads, etc to give as many as possible the opportunity to impress.
    To highlight its not just Cork that have problems at board level, when the former players brought their strategy to Co board they were told it was too expensive,
    thankfully the board eventually saw sense and hurling in the county is now reaping the rewards.
    Without putting in place these structures and getting the right men involved in coaching, its extremely unlikely we would have had anything hear the underage success we've had in recent years

• Registered Users Posts: 4,995 ✭✭✭zetecescort

Yeah, Cork have exported more coaches than any other county. Both Mc Carthys in Waterford, O'Grady and Allen in Limerick, Meyler in Wexford and that's just in the last 10 or 15 years. Can't think of any KK man who coached outside his own county

• Registered Users Posts: 10,812 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Dont see why i should be reporting posts when its supposed to be your job..

You do realise being a mod is voluntary, right? As in, its not someone's job to trawl through everything on the board, hence existence of the report function...the sense of entitlement some people have is amazing.

Cork can stop Clare if they shut down the short game from the wing backs and mid field. If the supply of low short ball is muzzled through good workrate in defending by the forwards, Clare won't develop the fluency they need. They're a momentum team, and the likes of honan won't battle for them when its getting tough. The problem is dealing with their clear physical and fitness superiority. Anyways as a half cork man I hope Ye do it.

Yeah, Cork have exported more coaches than any other county. Both Mc Carthys in Waterford, O'Grady and Allen in Limerick, Meyler in Wexford and that's just in the last 10 or 15 years. Can't think of any KK man who coached outside his own county
    Diarmuid Healy coached offaly to their ist all ireland in 1981.He coached Dublin also.He waw from Kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

Diarmuid Healy coached offaly to their ist all ireland in 1981.He coached Dublin also.He waw from Kilkenny.

Correct on Healy.

Georgie Leahy from James Stephens in Kilkenny coached Laois in the 1980s.

The great John Henderson managed Wicklow and also currently manages the Dublin under 21 team.

Brendan Fennelly managed Laois a few year ago.

Andy Comerford managed Kildare from 2007 to 2010.

Those KK lads managing teams off the top of my head. May not be high profile but nonetheless have managed other teams.

Pudders wrote: »
    Correct on Healy.

Georgie Leahy from James Stephens in Kilkenny coached Laois in the 1980s.

The great John Henderson managed Wicklow and also currently manages the Dublin under 21 team.

Brendan Fennelly managed Laois a few year ago.

Andy Comerford managed Kildare from 2007 to 2010.

Those KK lads managing teams off the top of my head. May not be high profile but nonetheless have managed other teams.
    Id agree.Healy is the most notable so far .Henderson is involved with Dublin but he is not the manager.Shay Boland is in charge of the U21s.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

I think the big problem for Cork this weekend is the lack of fight and ball winners on the half forward line. Limerick forwards showed the way against Tipp but I just have't seen the evidence of that fight in this cork team. Sad really as hurling needs a strong Cork.

You do realise being a mod is voluntary, right? As in, its not someone's job to trawl through everything on the board, hence existence of the report function...the sense of entitlement some people have is amazing.

Cork can stop Clare if they shut down the short game from the wing backs and mid field. If the supply of low short ball is muzzled through good workrate in defending by the forwards, Clare won't develop the fluency they need. They're a momentum team, and the likes of honan won't battle for them when its getting tough. The problem is dealing with their clear physical and fitness superiority. Anyways as a half cork man I hope Ye do it.

Surley Cork have worked on fitness since the league finished and closed the gap. Clare were probably near their peak around then, you can only get so fit.
    If Cork have closed that gap then it should be tight enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,812 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Hidalgo wrote: »
    Surley Cork have worked on fitness since the league finished and closed the gap. Clare were probably near their peak around then, you can only get so fit.
    Maybe they can improve their fitness, but I don't think Clare peaked yet. Their aim this year is a Munster championship at least. And aside from fitness, they are a bigger, stronger, meaner team than cork. And better hurlers too. The best option is to prevent them dictating what kind of game it'll be.

Hidalgo wrote: »

Corks type of fitness training is completely different than Clares and other teams.David Matthews as he was an ex Olympic runber,was brought in specfically for speed work.

Physically and endurance wise we have been blown apart by teams in the second half of games.JBM doesnt seem to want big gym bunnies .I agree to a point but being like greyhounds is no good on its own ,as the game is so physical now days.You would not see even the normal joe soap training like a 100m runner yet competing in an Iron man.

The Cork Hurling team seem to be along the same lines.

The article I posted from Cadogan even skimmed the surface on physicallity.

It was known that last year that he was not impressed with the strength and conditioning of the side compared to the footballers.

It is fair to say that Cork last year were physically way off the mark .Cadogan,Cahalane who were the exceptions would have done the work with the football teams.The Cork U21 football team has the team way more stronger than some of the senior hurlers.

Darren Sweetnham,who is extremely strong,did not get that from the cork hurling set up.He got it from hes involvement in Rubgy.

Matthews fitness prepartion will really come under the spotlight on Sunday.

Maybe they can improve their fitness, but I don't think Clare peaked yet. Their aim this year is a Munster championship at least. And aside from fitness, they are a bigger, stronger, meaner team than cork. And better hurlers too. The best option is to prevent them dictating what kind of game it'll be.

When I say peak, I mean by the time the relegation game came they were near their peak physical fitness wise, not hurling wise
    Whoever wins Sunday will at least be guaranteed hurling into late July, very important even from a training perspective to have intensity training sessions on ball work etc when the ground is firm and the ball moves quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,764 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Seems to me if your a mod you should be doing more then ''skim'' posts, im sure you have an excuse for why thats all you do.... Dont see why i should be reporting posts when its supposed to be your job..

I have reported the way you ''moderate'' but surprise surprise nothing was done. Funny how other mobs claim not not notice there follow mobs being bias, i wonder why that is....

I'm not sure, could see it being a draw.

John Cleary has stepped down as the U21 football manager.He gave the Job ,everything and you couldnt have asked of any more from him.
    He was involved as a selector and manager for 10years.
    8 munster titles,4 all ireland finals,winning two.

Its the end of an era.Fair play to him for doing a great Job,even more so the fact he took over players that had no minor success behind them.

At least he walked away,when he knew he could not give it the same commimtment going forward.Other managers who have achieved far less just stay in the job for ever.

There is a commitee being set up by the CCB to decide the new manager.

This should be interesting to say the least.Judging by who is on the commitee should tell us who is both in and out of contention for it.

Cork football has made huge progress at U21 level and with 5 of last years team eligble next year,are in a good position but it is absoultely crucial we appoint the right guy.

This is where i really fear who they will appoint.The last thing we need is Teddy Macarthy back involved or Teddy Holland .I wouldnt be suprised if they were.The CCB seems to be of the View Cork owes them over past events.

It should be given to a coach only with a proven track record.Not given to former great players with no proven track record.

Cork have produced a lot of good u21's in the recent past and this has not been by accident. He did a great job to be fair to him.

Does he have the ability to take over the senior team one day? Hard to tell.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Lala88 perma-banned from GAA.

Clareman wrote: »
    Great to see a clareman delivering some good news on the cork thread,the week that it is:-)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

We gave ye enough help in the football yesterday to keep ye happy for the year :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭willietherock

Clareman wrote: »

:pac:A great start to the week. Now just beat Clare to put a cap on it

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement