Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

LC Off Topic Thread (2015/16)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

This weekend went so quick, back to school already tomorrow.... Ugh! :(

Was looking at my school's website because I was bored and did anyone here do Dev Ed in TY?

Well apparently my school came up with that subject haha :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Sam Mac

First full day today. Went fine really, just wrecked after it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭CookieCat97

Still disappointed that I was never accepted into Hogwarts....

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭mayogirlie1

Well maths is just awful already don't even understand the first exercises in the book

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

Well maths is just awful already don't even understand the first exercises in the book

What don't you understand?

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭coolerboy

What book do you have I have active maths 4

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭mayogirlie1

What don't you understand?

Perfect squares from polynominals particular this question

8 (x - 1/4) ^ 2

Express in form ax^2 + bx + c

8 (x - 1/4) ^ 2

Umm thats a tricky one is this equation of a line

8 (x - 1/4) ^ 2

Haha!

Ordinary level ftw!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Still disappointed that I was never accepted into Hogwarts....
    7gEDYT.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭LovelySpuds

Has anyone else tried jumping from ordinary level Irish at Junior Cert level to higher level at Leaving Cert?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,107 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Has anyone else tried jumping from ordinary level Irish at Junior Cert level to higher level at Leaving Cert?

I'm sure people have tried and no doubt someone will be along to say they went from an F at OL to an A at HL. Nothing is impossible, particularly with languages, but if you were a low level OL student at JC it's a big ask. An A or B at OL you could work on.

What did you get in OL? Did you do the Oral option?
    What was the reason you did not do HL for the JC?

I'm settling in my subjects really well.

However, my irish teacher is disappointing in my opinion. I'm in the higher level class, and things are going a bit dodgy and I'm confused with the whole syllabus and his routine.

Anyone else having doubts? Would really love to do MY BEST in the subject but my teacher's way of teaching seems a bit off.

Maybe it's just me and I need time to settle in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

Two girls in my higher level class last year moved up from having done OL for the Junior cert. One got an A, but I don't know what the other got. Both struggled hugely. Honestly it wasn't a great choice for either of them in my opinion, or maybe I just have high standards (for myself - got an A1). If you do go up to HL would go to the gaeltacht this year. I would recommend Colaiste Na bhFiann. I got fluent by going there three times and honestly it really does improve your Irish. A girl I was there with had practically no Irish and went home with really good spoken Irish. Make sure you write down any new vocabulary and know your tenses inside out. It really helps!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,107 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I'm settling in my subjects really well.

However, my irish teacher is disappointing in my opinion. I'm in the higher level class, and things are going a bit dodgy and I'm confused with the whole syllabus and his routine.

Anyone else having doubts? Would really love to do MY BEST in the subject but my teacher's way of teaching seems a bit off.

Maybe it's just me and I need time to settle in.

Ask him to do out a summary for you of what you have to cover. He should have it in his scheme of work, which should usually be submitted by teachers by now. He doesn't need to give you his detailed plans, but a rough idea of what he intends to cover and when. You may see method in his madness then.

spurious wrote: »
    Ask him to do out a summary for you of what you have to cover. He should have it in his scheme of work, which should usually be submitted by teachers by now. He doesn't need to give you his detailed plans, but a rough idea of what he intends to cover and when. You may see method in his madness then.

He did, and specially told us what he intends to cover this week, and so on. Just, when we actually do the classes - it seems a bit slow and not enough learning or explaining done for his 'desired' plan to work.

Hopefully that will change in a week or two. I feel like I should be expecting more out of the class.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

My friend did OL Irish for the Junior Cert and received an A grade. This year she was asked if she'd like to go for HL and honestly, she's not finding it much more difficult than anyone else in the class. It really depends on your OL grade. It's definitely going to need a bit of work either way though.

He did, and specially told us what he intends to cover this week, and so on. Just, when we actually do the classes - it seems a bit slow and not enough learning or explaining done for his 'desired' plan to work.

Hopefully that will change in a week or two. I feel like I should be expecting more out of the class.
    In fairness, it's the first few days of 5th year, both students and teachers are only settling back in and getting back into the swing of things, and launching into the LC course. If it's just a matter of pace, it might be a tad early to judge.

Im starting to get nervous about these junior results :( :eek: ABC

• Advertisement

coolerboy wrote: »
    Im starting to get nervous about these junior results :( :eek: ABC

You will be fine.

You will be fine.

Its just that im scared of being moved down in irish french and english.I am in the highest in all but french which in second highest as it was a random selection.

Its just that im scared of being moved down in irish french and english.I am in the highest in all but french which in second highest as it was a random selection.

They won't move you on your JC results. If they are going to move you, it will be on your performance in 5th year so far. If you are doing as well as (or better than) the others in the class, you have nothing to worry about.

They won't move you on your JC results. If they are going to move you, it will be on your performance in 5th year so far. If you are doing as well as (or better than) the others in the class, you have nothing to worry about.

Yesterday we were told these classes are just temporary and will be changed when the results come out im afraid.Im am only afraid I have not managed the B grade to move up in french

Ciao ragazzi e ragazze! Studio l'italiano al scula!

Mi chiamo John. Ho sedici anni. Il mio compleanno é il dici aprile. Io abito nel centro di dublino. Ho due fratelli e una sorella. Come di chiamano? Mi fratelli Si chiamano Max e Paul. Mia sorella Si chiama Sarah. Sarah ha quindici anni e Max ha dici anni. Paul è tutti due.

Io amo gli animali ma non ho un animalo in casa. A Che ora mi alzo durante la settimana? Io mi alzo alle dici e Mezzo durante la settimana. Nel mio tempo libero mi piace leggere libero e giocare a calcio.

Molto amo cibo!

Just practicing for my Italian oral... Non of the information is real :D

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭pvakelly

Mi chiamo John. Ho sedici anni. Il mio compleanno é il dici aprile. Io abito nel centro di dublino. Ho due fratelli e una sorella. Come di chiamano? Mi fratelli Si chiamano Max e Paul. Mia sorella Si chiama Sarah. Sarah ha quindici anni e Max ha dici anni. Paul è tutti due.

Io amo gli animali ma non ho un animalo in casa. A Che ora mi alzo durante la settimana? Io mi alzo alle dici e Mezzo durante la settimana. Nel mio tempo libero mi piace leggere libero e giocare a calcio.

Molto amo cibo!

I actually got a lot of that, which is surprising considering I don't do Italian :D

Molto amo cibo!

Wenn Sie in Deutsch sprechen, dann ich kann verstehen!

Auf Italienisch.... nicht einem Worte!

:pac:

pvakelly wrote: »
    I actually got a lot of that, which is surprising considering I don't do Italian :D

It's very basic Italian for general conversation :p you do Spanish or french?
    Wenn Sie in Deutsch sprechen, dann ich kann verstehen!

Auf Italienisch.... nicht einem Worte!

:pac:

Non parlo tedesco, scusi! Tu molto parli?

pvakelly wrote: »
    If you do Spanish, you will figure out the gist of simple written Italian easily enough.

• Advertisement

Yesterday we were told these classes are just temporary and will be changed when the results come out im afraid.Im am only afraid I have not managed the B grade to move up in french

If you don't get your B (and I'm sure you will), get your parents to argue that you deserve a place based on your work in the class since you came back to school, not your performance on one day three months ago.

Advertisement