Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Online divorce sites - any opinions?

• 18-01-2013 3:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭

There are a number of sites offering to handle divorces in Ireland for about €500/600 euro. I know it's possible to file papers yourself but some help would be good so can I ask has anyone used any of these services and have any advice to offer? Or any recommendations of ones to use or avoid? Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Use: None
    Avoid: All

Legal advice from internet is about as much use as a condom machine in the Vatican.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭tcif

I'm not talking about random postings on the web - I'm well aware they're useless when there's no way of verifying the person who posted them up has the first clue what they're on about. I'm talking about sites like http://www.irishdivorceservices.ie/, http://easydivorce.ie/, http://www.diydivorceireland.ie/ etc. Has anyone out there used any of these and have any feedback to offer? Thanks

tcif wrote: »
    I'm not talking about random postings on the web - I'm well aware they're useless when there's no way of verifying the person who posted them up has the first clue what they're on about.

The above equally applies to these websites. Even if it didn't you've kinda hit the nail on the head in regards to what anyone posts here about them. If you search there's a mini-mega thread on divorces on this forum. If its a simple one maybe read through that and DIY. My opinion for what its worth is - it's simple enough to DIY or it's not and you need legal advice.

I have no direct experience of those sites so I'll leave you too it, may be someone can help you. However I do know of a couple of 'compo claim' sites that were set up by some lads at college for beer money. They realised that claiming compensation of various councils in Scotland was just a form and 90% of the time they just paid out. They made a website and just filled in the forms for people and charged them a %. The beauty of the internet.

EDIT: Yeah a quick glance at those websites - they are DIY divorce sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

I'm not talking about random postings on the web - I'm well aware they're useless when there's no way of verifying the person who posted them up has the first clue what they're on about. I'm talking about sites like http://www.irishdivorceservices.ie/, http://easydivorce.ie/, http://www.diydivorceireland.ie/ etc. Has anyone out there used any of these and have any feedback to offer? Thanks

I know two people who used one of those companies (you don't list it, but the name is very similar to the third one). Their divorces were completely non-contentious and by consent, with no property nor kids. In their circumstances, the divorce was quick and easy.

I would not use one if you have property or children or if your ex is likely to mess you around.

Edit: here are two of the threads Procrastastudy mentioned, plus a link to the Separation and Divorce forum, where this topic has come up before too:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055166072

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056515425

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1533

The situation is one child, no property, situation amicable and custody/maintenance already mutually agreed. Really it's about looking for some help to make sure all the paperwork is properly filled out and filed and to take away the stress of worrying about getting it wrong or missing something.

Thanks for the help and I'll gladly go back to previous posts in the divorce forum again. I did take a look before I posted my query but I couldn't see anything recent and I was nervous about taking on board posts that were a few years old. I know that divorce laws haven't changed since then but the divorce services companies might have and I was hoping someone would have more recent experience to share.

• Advertisement

If that's the case OP I'd phone a couple of solicitors and say you want them to review the paperwork and are willing to pay €400 take it or leave it. Cheaper than one of those sites and at least there you know who you're dealing with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭ThreeLineWhip

They probably wouldn't do it as you didn't get the papers drawn up by them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

If it's amicable you could do it yourself. Draw up an agreement and get two different solicitors to advise you. That should not cost a lot and shop around. Maybe have a meeting with FLAC. It's free and they will be able to point you in the right direction.

I assumed going anywhere near a solicitor would be very expensive, way more than the €650/700 or so it looks like these sites would charge for the divorce and a pension adjustment order. Am I wrong in that, does anyone know? Has anyone used a solicitor and found they weren't that much more expensive??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭ThreeLineWhip

I got a quote from a solicitor for a non contested divorce 10 years ago. It was €5000.

• Advertisement

Ooohhh...that's what I was afraid of! It's bloody ridiculous. Divorce being expensive in terms of dividing up whatever is jointly owned with the ex other half, I get and accept. Divorce being expensive because of the legal profession making a killing is maddening!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Ooohhh...that's what I was afraid of! It's bloody ridiculous. Divorce being expensive in terms of dividing up whatever is jointly owned with the ex other half, I get and accept. Divorce being expensive because of the legal profession making a killing is maddening!

Here's what you can do. Ring around or else make appointments to see several solicitors and see what they'll charge. Then you'll know what the market rate is. It's a competitive market.

If you can't pay for it, go to the legal aid board.

You can enquire about having solicitors inspect your papers if you like, but a €500 fee isn't worth the potential insurance claim in relation to work carried out by someone else. Some mistakes will not show up without proper searches being made and precautions being taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭anmhi02

I got a quote from a solicitor for a non contested divorce 10 years ago. It was €5000.
    I got a quote. 2 years ago for 2,000. Couldn't afford it at the time but as my divorce was straight forward even though we have a child together, I used DIY divorce. Can't recall the gentlemans name but he was very good and helpful. Only cost 500 and that included sorting out the paperwork for my pension. Think altogether it cost another 80 euros and that was to cover registered post and paying the comissioner of oaths each time I needed documents signed. There's still quite a bit of work to be done yourself even if you go DIY(getting paperwork sent etc) but it was a challenge and very informative. Despite the unfortunate situation ie the divorce, it can give you a sense of empowerment and pride at having done it yourself.......weird and all as it sounds but when your going through it, every little bit of success/achievement counts. Can i just say, i reccomend the mentioned site but ONLY if its straightforward. Good luck with it

• Registered Users Posts: 4 octojoe

Hi dude ,ive recently filed for divorce (no kids no assets both parties agree)and it's cost me 20 EURO all i needed to do was get six pieces of paper signed by a solicitor send a registerded letter to her and get that stamped by the post office and the pheonix court in smithfield and when you get the court date she doesn't even have to be there and hey presto FREEDOM if you need any help email me at nirvanatattoos@gmail.com

Cheers, octojoe. Just starting to get the papers together now so here's hoping it's all plain sailing!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 imtired

my husband and I have applied and filled out the forms for an easy divorce.. they are looking for an affidavit to be drawn up.. does anyone know where I can get one of these done. Would a commissioner of peace or something do it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 octojoe

all the papers you need can be odtained from the pheonix house in smithfield its simple and the whoe thing cost me about 100 euro in signatures

Advertisement