Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student Life in Dublin vs Cork vs Limerick

• 10-10-2011 1:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

I'm an American music student in my final year of my bachelor's degree, and I'm hoping to go next year for an MA in Ethnomusicology. I've been thinking about going somewhere outside of the States for many reasons, mainly because I'd like to experience new cultures blah blah blah, and also because tuition is so damn expensive here (full Non-EU tuition at most schools in Ireland is about half what I'd pay for an American school). I've been very interested in Ireland because it seems like the support for traditional music there is much, much better than in the US.

The three programs I've been looking at the most are the ones at UCC, UCD, and UL. I was wondering what it's like to be a student in these three towns. I was able to visit Cork and Dublin over the summer, and liked both cities, but since I was only in them for a few days each I could only get a general sense of what they were like. I wasn't able to go to Limerick because of travel logistics, but I've heard great things about it.

So yeah, what's it like living in these towns? Dublin is obviously a lot bigger than the other two, but I'm not actually a big city guy, so I'm not sure how I feel about that. I did have a lovely day up in Howth, though, so if there are any places nearby any of the cities that are good getaways I'd love to hear it.

Wow, long post. I guess I should shut up and let you guys talk...

Thanks,

Tyler

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,465 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Fantastic sense of community at UL. Come, join us!

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭ViveLaVie

Cork and Limerick have a nicer community feel to them and tend to be friendlier. Also nightlife as a student is better in either than in Dublin. Dublin is a great city but more isolating and in my opinion is more suited to young professionals than students.

Limerick is great, UL is one of the friendliest colleges in Ireland. You'll make loads of friends and have loads of great nights out.

Cork city is a bit bigger and the night life isn't as communal as in Limerick but it is still very vibrant. UCC has a great reputation as a college and manages to strike a good balance between the social and academic aspects to college life.

Hope you have a great time in Ireland!

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭CommanderC

TAlderson wrote: »
    I'm an American music student in my final year of my bachelor's degree, and I'm hoping to go next year for an MA in Ethnomusicology. I've been thinking about going somewhere outside of the States for many reasons, mainly because I'd like to experience new cultures blah blah blah, and also because tuition is so damn expensive here (full Non-EU tuition at most schools in Ireland is about half what I'd pay for an American school). I've been very interested in Ireland because it seems like the support for traditional music there is much, much better than in the US.

The three programs I've been looking at the most are the ones at UCC, UCD, and UL. I was wondering what it's like to be a student in these three towns. I was able to visit Cork and Dublin over the summer, and liked both cities, but since I was only in them for a few days each I could only get a general sense of what they were like. I wasn't able to go to Limerick because of travel logistics, but I've heard great things about it.

So yeah, what's it like living in these towns? Dublin is obviously a lot bigger than the other two, but I'm not actually a big city guy, so I'm not sure how I feel about that. I did have a lovely day up in Howth, though, so if there are any places nearby any of the cities that are good getaways I'd love to hear it.

Wow, long post. I guess I should shut up and let you guys talk...

Thanks,

Tyler

Hey, Im a 'foreigner' living in Dublin and I love it. Its a great city- the history of the city is incredible, there has been so much for me to explore and there are also lots of events on throughout the year, I don't find it that big tbh, it didn't take me long to get to know the main thorough fare through the city from North to South. I cycle most of the time which makes it even more compact. Ive never studied over here but my GF went to UCD and loved it. She is going back there in Sept for a Masters and she can't wait. Ive been out there with her recently and it looks like a very impressive campus with many clubs n stuff to get involved with (Im jealous of her going back while I have to work grrrr :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭TAlderson

This thread seems to have been resurrected... Thanks for all the advice! I'm going to be at UCC (I liked the program there the best), and I'm excited to be in Ireland in just over a month!

-Tyler

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭ViveLaVie

Excellent choice!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭CommanderC

TAlderson wrote: »
    This thread seems to have been resurrected... Thanks for all the advice! I'm going to be at UCC (I liked the program there the best), and I'm excited to be in Ireland in just over a month!

-Tyler

Good luck :D

Advertisement