Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment - Stage 1a(1) - The Aptitude Test

• 07-05-2008 6:42pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

This is Stage 1 of the application process to An Garda Siochana. Post your questions, answers, comments, information, advice or experiences here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Stage1 - Aptitude tests will be held in the Teachers' Club on Parnell Street in Dublin ... let the fun begin :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 daisey

kerry4sam wrote: »
    Stage1 - Aptitude tests will be held in the Teachers' Club on Parnell Street in Dublin ... let the fun begin :D

hey kerry im new to this my question is if you have sit stage 1, would you be able to tel me what sort of maths would be in the aptitude test? thanks :o

daisey wrote: »
    hey kerry im new to this my question is if you have sit stage 1, would you be able to tel me what sort of maths would be in the aptitude test? thanks :o

Hey Daisey welcome to Boards :) Their are actually no math questions for this process, thankfully. If you look at www.publicjobs.ie and find the information for the Garda Recruitment their is some really invaluable info there and for stage1 read the Garda familiarisation Booklet - it outlines the tests for this stage and has examples and solutions for you.

Stage1 is made up of 3tests
    1) Skills Experience
    2) Analytical Reasoning and
    3) Job Simulation Exercise

Hope this helps you out someway :D Good Luck if you apply

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 daisey

kerry4sam wrote: »
    Hey Daisy welcome to Boards :) Their are actually no math questions for this process, thankfully. If you look at www.publicjobs.e and find the information for the Garda Recruitment their is some really invaluable info there and for stage1 read the Garda familiarisation Booklet - it outlines the tests for this stage and has examples and solutions for you.

Stage1 is made up of 3tests
    1) Skills Experience
    2) Analytical Reasoning and
    3) Job Simulation Exercise

Hope this helps you out someway :D Good Luck if you apply
    oh thanks kerry you made my day :) im useless at maths

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭sfhawke7w

i did the aptitude test in 1996 and did very well, have re applied for the garda today and am just womdering is it worth doing a day course to prepare for the aptitude tests?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭shakin

sfhawke7w wrote: »
    i did the aptitude test in 1996 and did very well, have re applied for the garda today and am just womdering is it worth doing a day course to prepare for the aptitude tests?

cant do you any harm,im gonna do one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭soundlad

shakin wrote: »
    cant do you any harm,im gonna do one

just wondering lads wats the price for doing a course for stage 1 . i have passed it twice be4 but want to make sure i pass it this time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Celtic07

soundlad wrote: »
    just wondering lads wats the price for doing a course for stage 1 . i have passed it twice be4 but want to make sure i pass it this time

depends on who you go to..bit pricey 100-150.well worth it though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Canonfan

Hi Celtic, can you please recommend a good course in Dublin? Many thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Celtic07

check your pm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭karlokarl

Hey guys, just wondering if you're expected to answer all 40 questions in the analytical reasoning section within 20 mins?? That seems a bit crazy doesn't it??

karlokarl wrote: »
    Hey guys, just wondering if you're expected to answer all 40 questions in the analytical reasoning section within 20 mins?? That seems a bit crazy doesn't it??

It is very much possible alright ... I answered every question in all 3sections on the day of the exam back in February ... Get yourself as much sample questions as possible and practice them over and over

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Stay_in_Kampuchea

anybody got a good site were they have analytical diagrams?

sorry dont know any . it is definitely the hardest part of stage 1 . on the public jobs website in the prep material they give you some examples and reasons why . keep going over that till you have a good understanding of it

sorry dont know any . it is definitely the hardest part of stage 1 . on the public jobs website in the prep material they give you some examples and reasons why . keep going over that till you have a good understanding of it

It's hard alright, are you in the college now mate?

It's hard alright, are you in the college now mate?

no on a year out from college was just workin for the last year and trying to get in to the guards. how bout you

i went to the library on saturday and got books on aptitude testing loads of sample analytical tests. gives you test with time limits etc.

i got 27 right the last time, just wondering what the average of those who passed them were?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭karlokarl

i got 27 right the last time, just wondering what the average of those who passed them were?

Just wondering, did you pass?

Just wondering, did you pass?

no i went down on the skills experience!:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Mark63

I got 26/27 - can't remember and was placed on the second level for that test while I was in the top batch for the other 2 parts. Overall that took me quite high overall - Top 30 from the batch I was in. I definitely found Part B the hardest - only got about 35 done in all.

no on a year out from college was just workin for the last year and trying to get in to the guards. how bout you

same here, I'm workin' in the Hotel sector, and trying my best to get in now, it's me second time goin for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭quirkek2

hows it goin? there are various courses out there and they give you a good idea on how to go about the aptitude tests. There are books out there too but most are very general. If you can find one specifically on the analytical reasoning side of things then that's probably the best way to prepare for that particular part.

If got about 30 out of 40 answered and got 24 right. I passed it first time and i had no idea how to do aptitude tests. It was really down to the preparation course, that stood me in good stead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Can you please recommend a good course in Dublin? Many thanks.

Can anyone do the same for Galway area ?

just got email from public jobs with details for getting date for aptitude tests.

i wonder where are the tests been held, will they be around the country?

all excited now!!

sfhawke7w wrote: »
    just got email from public jobs with details for getting date for aptitude tests.

i wonder where are the tests been held, will they be around the country?

all excited now!!

no they are all in dublin

has anyone gone to the man in templemore for apptitude prep?
    whats he like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Dr_MaSoN

has anyone gone to the man in templemore for apptitude prep?
    whats he like?

Just wondering whats the price on some of the course's people are doing or have done?

I decided not to do one in the end and passed all the same. Would have been gutted if i failed and not done one though:p.

i remember one being held in galway and sligo couple years ago. will have to be on the ball tomorrow then to get a saturday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

Just had a look on the public jobs website and downloaded the "Stage II Application form which looks for every address and employment since leaving school, sure i haven't a clue of the addresses of some of the places i lived in when i was in college, anyone know where i could download a map of Galway or would i be better off going to galway and finding the houses and the proper addresses? :(

Advertisement