Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Separate uniforms for GR.. Yes/No....

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭bluetop

WilcoOut wrote: »
    Open competition for commissioner announced

few would be candidates on here no doubt

In addition, the Cabinet resolved to urgently bring forward new legislation to strengthen the operationm of the Garda Síochána Ombudsman Commission. Ms Fitzgerald further said that the new Independent Garda Authority will be up and running by the end of the year.

She reiterated the Government’s commitment to recruit the new Garda Commissioner by open competition in parallel with the establishment of the new inquiry.

Source

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/cabinet-agrees-to-review-of-department-of-justice-operations-1.1793247

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

WilcoOut wrote: »
    Open competition for commissioner announced

few would be candidates on here no doubt

Canvassing will disqualify. Will Reserve membership be an advantage?

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭timwynne

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    Canvassing will disqualify. Will Reserve membership be an advantage?

open competition as they do not want a member of an garda siochana

so the reserves are deffo out!

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭mfergus

timwynne wrote: »
    open competition as they do not want a member of an garda siochana

so the reserves are deffo out!

They should change the shoulder markings too! Give them a number. RD190 would suit :)

My oh My and we have yet another FT member whistle blower now were is this going to end up, and its defo not doing the public any good seeing this carry on they will soon have no confidence in the Garda, personally there should be a clean sweep with a new broom, and i would say this is only the tip of the iceberg coming out and testing the waters
    He said Garda Harrison claims that “as a result of arresting a member of the drugs unit in Athlone for drunk driving that Garda management maliciously set about targeting him while the arrested Garda was afforded protection”.

As we have said all along its the Management thats causing all the problem thru out all the lower rank and file members, which in turn follows thru to the reserves, hopefully the people involved will be weeded out and the Garda can get back to what its supposed to be doing.

source
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/oireachtas/whistleblower-targeted-after-arresting-garda-for-drink-driving-1.1797349

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 Two Cent

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    Dream on honey. The more things change the more they stay the same. If you believe anything different you are a fool

I would ask if you could refrain for the personal insults please. I am and have no intension of becoming a fool...
    I haven't been wrong on things so far...
    For Political reasons, yep Political, the next commis will not be from AGS .. And I can assure you, a representative group from the reserves will be pollity asking for a meeting. The day for bashing the reserve is over. If I were ye, I would be more concerned with the current crisis that seems to be multiplying every week now.... And that's before any reserve has contributed to the wrongs we see while on duty .
    Let's wait now and see how all this pans out.... Interesting times ahead folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Shady Tady

An outside commissioner may well see the reserve as surplus to requirements and ineffective and put the resources it takes into CPD or fulltime training, be careful what you wish for!

Shady Tady wrote: »
    An outside commissioner may well see the reserve as surplus to requirements and ineffective and put the resources it takes into CPD or fulltime training, be careful what you wish for!

Cant see that happening nobody in their right mind is going to get rid of 1400 reserve garda that give their time for FREE!! and are already trained up, ok not on all aspects but enough to be able to be utilised properly, maybe they might even go the way the UK model is, then everyone would be happy.

If and i say if they go the other way then we will all know whats what, been stuck in limbo is worse, either give them powers fit for purpose or get rid either way something has to change, hopefully for the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭timwynne

wow

new commissioner coming in to scrap a resource of 1200+ people?

not a hope

a new commissioner could be the dawn of a new reserve

I envisage GRs becoming resources for community policing units. a great way to harness that enthusiasm and energy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭King Ludvig

The reserve is provided for by law. Only the Oireachtas can scrap it. Commissioner, whether civvy or drawn from the ranks, has no power to do so.

• Advertisement

The reserve is provided for by law. Only the Oireachtas can scrap it. Commissioner, whether civvy or drawn from the ranks, has no power to do so.

They can just run it down, there are plenty laws on the statute that are not used or relevant

They can just run it down, there are plenty laws on the statute that are not used or relevant

Well they cant make it any worse then it is now, unless they scrap it, and i just see the media 1400 Garda Reserves put on the scrap heap, that will make great headlines not to mention waves for the ministers.

As i have said fix it or dump it as it stands now its a waste of 1400 members and with resources as low as they are they should be trying to embrace the force, not alienate it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Mc Jakester

Need I say anymore, we are still 10 years behind the U.K.

But here's what the lads are doing across the water !....

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aBOiFF7IJAs

Well if they are doing it we must do it!!

Well if they are doing it we must do it!!

Are we afraid of change as that is what is coming across here, stuck in time.

bluetop wrote: »
    Are we afraid of change as that is what is coming across here, stuck in time.

Change isn't always good, a bit more life experience will teach you that!

Change isn't always good, a bit more life experience will teach you that!

I think on this occasion an exception is necessary to bring the force into the 21st century and more in line with other forces, as for life experience you are learning it every day of your life till you die.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

I think they should wear blue shirts.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Kevin3

Special Constables have full police powers though. Garda Reserves are more similar to PCSOs in that they have very limited powers. Also Special Constables are completely unpaid while Garda Reserves recieve a yearly allowance.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Peppa Cig

Kevin3 wrote: »
    Special Constables have full police powers though. Garda Reserves are more similar to PCSOs in that they have very limited powers. Also Special Constables are completely unpaid while Garda Reserves recieve a yearly allowance.

Many constabularies pay/give allowances to Specials. Garda Reserves are attested with full powers as per the 2005 Act. The commissioner decides when to release particular powers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement