Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Reforms to the Garda reserve

Options
  • 22-03-2014 11:10pm
    Site Banned Posts: 819 ✭✭✭

Would be interested to hear from serving reserves what reforms they think should be made to the Garda reserve

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Nil response. Must be a lot of disgruntled Reserves out there

• Site Banned Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Raider190

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    Nil response. Must be a lot of disgruntled Reserves out there

The whole point is to hear from serving reserve who have something positive to contribute

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Peppa Cig

Raider190 wrote: »
    Would be interested to hear from serving reserves what reforms they think should be made to the Garda reserve

Not appropriate banter for an internet public forum!

Peppa Cig wrote: »
    Not appropriate banter for an internet public forum!

We are speaking in generalities not confidential information. I am confident enough that serving members are discreet enough to know what to post on a public forum.

We are speaking in generalities not confidential information. I am confident enough that serving members are discreet enough to know what to post on a public forum.

All quiet on the Western Front

• Advertisement

Like most posters and I include myself. We are more focused on getting to the next stage. So board.ie is low on our list at present

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Yogi Bear

I suppose until the new powers are rolled out, we do not have much hope of the reserve being reformed.
    I think there is a reserve graduation next week. I wonder if this is still going ahead give the events of the last week??
    Will they announce the powers at the graduation?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

With all the latest revelations going on at the moment,

the reserve could be put on the back burner for a while :(

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭thesamster

Their is a reserve class starting Monday for 2 weeks training . I think it will be the last one this year .

Canyon86 wrote: »
    With all the latest revelations going on at the moment,

the reserve could be put on the back burner for a while :(

You may be right. What a week ....... So much has happened . All negative

• Advertisement

You may be right. What a week ....... So much has happened . All negative

oh stop, one thing after another,

without doubt major changes will be seen in AGS,

all negative alright unfortunately,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

oh stop, one thing after another,

without doubt major changes will be seen in AGS,

all negative alright unfortunately,

Theres more to come aswell.......

carzony wrote: »
    Theres more to come aswell.......

No doubt about that. This will change the landscape forever. To dispense with a commissioner in such a manner will not go down well. No matter what the opinion on his remarks on the whistle blowers the government sacrificed him despite his 41 years service to the state. There will be consequences .
    A strong reminder of what type of creatures politicians truly are and why AGS have to remain outside the pettiness of politics. In the next year I predict a massive change in policing in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

No doubt about that. This will change the landscape forever. To dispense with a commissioner in such a manner will not go down well. No matter what the opinion on his remarks on the whistle blowers the government sacrificed him despite his 41 years service to the state. There will be consequences .
    A strong reminder of what type of creatures politicians truly are and why AGS have to remain outside the pettiness of politics. In the next year I predict a massive change in policing in Ireland.

As long as I can get my points wiped, I couldn't care less:p:p:p

Agreed,

Hopefully a commissioner from outside of Ireland is appointed to shake things up and not be influenced by politics etc!

Wishful thinking tho!!!!! :)

Perhaps but it may be the situation that they appoint a civilian chief operations officer like most Uk forces. My own opinion is that acting commissioner o Sullivan will do a good job as long as the politicians keep their noses out but will that happen

Agreed,

Hopefully a commissioner from outside of Ireland is appointed to shake things up and not be influenced by politics etc!

Wishful thinking tho!!!!! :)

It will be a sad reflection of the senior ranks of the Garda if a civilian or a non Irish person is appointed Commissioner. But then these are the officers who had no problem wiping penalty points for the most ridiculous excuse.
    Even if a police authority is introduced the Government will pack it with political hacks that when push comes to shove will be only puppets anyway

A pre requisite for chief constable of the PSNI is that the candidate must have senior management experience in a another jurisdiction, it has worked well fir them no reason why it wouldn't work for us.

A pre requisite for chief constable of the PSNI is that the candidate must have senior management experience in a another jurisdiction, it has worked well fir them no reason why it wouldn't work for us.

Oh if it worked for the British then we must do likewise

A good idea is a good idea no matter who thinks of it. The next thing you will be talking about is 800 years of occupation. We have grown as a nation thank god

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭bluetop

Where do you think the idea for the reserves came from, the biggest problem is they did not do it correctly the first time.

If they did take on the same ideas maybe then AGS would not be in the state it finds itself in today, everything the uk has done with anything is years and years ahead of anything we could put in place, its time to pull AGS into the 21st Century and just maybe if a they appoint a Uk replacement for a Commissioner it would be the best thing for the organisation.

Some one with the knowledge of excatly what the role of the reserve's should be, not second guessing what they do, or have reserves doing different things in different stations, reform it and have across the board structure in place so everyone knows whats what.

bluetop wrote: »
    Where do you think the idea for the reserves came from, the biggest problem is they did not do it correctly the first time.

If they did take on the same ideas maybe then AGS would not be in the state it finds itself in today, everything the uk has done with anything is years and years ahead of anything we could put in place, its time to pull AGS into the 21st Century and just maybe if a they appoint a Uk replacement for a Commissioner it would be the best thing for the organisation.

Some one with the knowledge of excatly what the role of the reserve's should be, not second guessing what they do, or have reserves doing different things in different stations, reform it and have across the board structure in place so everyone knows whats what.

Major garda summit been held in templemore tomorrow so who knows it may be the start of some major changes ahead

Major garda summit been held in templemore tomorrow so who knows it may be the start of some major changes ahead

Jesus.Plenty to be talked about im sure!!

A good idea is a good idea no matter who thinks of it. The next thing you will be talking about is 800 years of occupation. We have grown as a nation thank god

And who of any authority has said that it is a good idea.

There's plenty senior officers in the London Met that have a few questions to answer about their policing in London before they come to Ireland.
    Throw in the Yorkshire and West Midlands crew and you have enough for good few Tribunals

And who of any authority has said that it is a good idea.

There's plenty senior officers in the London Met that have a few questions to answer about their policing in London before they come to Ireland.
    Throw in the Yorkshire and West Midlands crew and you have enough for good few Tribunals

There needs to be changes so we may as well go with an established model rather than invent the wheel.
    We need a good level of governance and it's just not there at the moment. We cannot continue as we are

There needs to be changes so we may as well go with an established model rather than invent the wheel.
    We need a good level of governance and it's just not there at the moment. We cannot continue as we are

Of course but we don't need to bring in someone from forces that have a lot of far more serious questions to answer than the Garda. With a proper political free Police Authority responsible for recruitment, allocation and promotions, an effective GSOC and last but my no means least proper pay, conditions and equipment there's no reason why we can't do it ourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭westcoastboy

Does anyone know the effective strengh of the Reserves at the moment, like how many collect their 1000 euro, i was told it was about 25%, ...seems poor enough..

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Yogi Bear

Does anyone know the effective strengh of the Reserves at the moment, like how many collect their 1000 euro, i was told it was about 25%, ...seems poor enough..

The one thing i would say no one joined the GR for €1000. i would not use this as a metric. There are some lads who don't work the regular units and only work community events, matches and stuff like that. They will never reach the 208 hours but even the 100 - 150 hours they do each year are of great assistance and suit everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭gilly0512

Of course but we don't need to bring in someone from forces that have a lot of far more serious questions to answer than the Garda. With a proper political free Police Authority responsible for recruitment, allocation and promotions, an effective GSOC and last but my no means least proper pay, conditions and equipment there's no reason why we can't do it ourselves.

The fact of the matter Santa Cruz is that we wouldn't do it ourselves, anything in this country that has political involvement generally tends to be quite poorly run, with the HSE and Gardai two striking examples of that, not to even mention the overpaid useless f**kers running this country. I am a Reserve, and by and large the Gardai are a fine Police Force full of some fine men and women, but the higher up you go, the worse it gets. Once you hit the rank of Superintendent you are now in the realm of political appointees, men and women who were appointed to their position based on who they knew, and who know how to play the game. So in the upper echelons of AGS you have men and women who haven't been on the beat in years if not decades, whose only aim is to go as high as they can, and who know little or nothing about Policing on the ground. These men and women are making the decisions for the ordinary Garda, which is why we were the last Police Force in Europe to get stab vests, the last to get asp batons, the last to get digital radios and the last to get pepper spray. All of this is coming down from Garda Management, so on that basis the next Commissioner should be from the UK or the US and this should continue on until all of the deadwood in the Park have retired or resigned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭bluetop

gilly2308 wrote: »
    The fact of the matter Santa Cruz is that we wouldn't do it ourselves, anything in this country that has political involvement generally tends to be quite poorly run, with the HSE and Gardai two striking examples of that, not to even mention the overpaid useless f**kers running this country. I am a Reserve, and by and large the Gardai are a fine Police Force full of some fine men and women, but the higher up you go, the worse it gets. Once you hit the rank of Superintendent you are now in the realm of political appointees, men and women who were appointed to their position based on who they knew, and who know how to play the game. So in the upper echelons of AGS you have men and women who haven't been on the beat in years if not decades, whose only aim is to go as high as they can, and who know little or nothing about Policing on the ground. These men and women are making the decisions for the ordinary Garda, which is why we were the last Police Force in Europe to get stab vests, the last to get asp batons, the last to get digital radios and the last to get pepper spray. All of this is coming down from Garda Management, so on that basis the next Commissioner should be from the UK or the US and this should continue on until all of the deadwood in the Park have retired or resigned.

Never a truer word posted too much dead wood in a park full of wood, look at the way the reserves were left no support nobody to take control of their way forward, until they put someone from outside the force that has had some sort of interaction with either the police specials or the PCSO reserves will be the end of the poo pile for a long time to come, two people over seeing the reserves in the park are both anti reserves what does that tell you......... dont bother ringing for support it will be filed under B for bin.

Advertisement