Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Meteor Contract Changes

Options
  • 21-10-2014 7:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭

Meteor Contract changes it seems. So bill pay customer should technically now have the option to leaving the contract without penalty should they choose too.

We are not getting much of a response from the reps on the talk to forum;

http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057309230

What are the changes?
    Billpay Directory Enquiry Pricing Change November 2014

Meteor wishes to notify its customers of changes to rates for calls to Directory Enquiries Services which will be effective from November 18th 2014, as a result of increased wholesale rates from Directory Enquiry service providers.

The following per minute and call connection rates for calling 11811,11818 11850, 11860 and 11890 Directory Enquiries will be effective from 18.11.2014 for all existing and new Meteor customers:
    Bill Pay
    DQ Service Provider
    Connection Charge*
    Per Minute Charge
    11811 National Directory Enquiries
    €1.25
    €1.25
    11818 National Directory Enquiries
    €1.99
    €1.99
    11850 National Directory Enquiries
    €2.90
    €2.90
    11860 National Directory Enquiries
    €2.90
    €2.90
    11890 National Directory Enquiries
    €1.65
    €1.65
    * Following the initial connection charge, per second billing applies. All charges are shown per minute but billed per second unless otherwise stated.
    According to ComReg you have one month to opt out of this new contract without penalty.
    Fixed Line

Is my service provider allowed to change the terms & conditions of a package I have signed up for ?

In many cases, your service provider can change the terms and conditions of your package. However, your service provider must give you at least one month’s notice of the proposed change to your package and details of your right to withdraw from your contract, without penalty, if you do not accept the proposed change to your contract terms.
    Related FAQs include
    Does my service provider have to let me know if it is changing my terms & conditions?

Yes, your service provider must let you know about the proposed changes to your terms and conditions at least one month in advance of when the new terms and conditions become effective. Additionally, your service provider must also give you details of your right to withdraw from your contract, without penalty, if you do not accept the proposed change to your contract terms. A press notice and/or a notice on your service provider’s website are not sufficient to let you know about the proposed changes to your contract terms and your right to withdraw.

What do I do if my service provider did not let me know that it is changing my terms & conditions?

If you did not receive notice from your service provider about changes to its terms and conditions and you have now realised that the terms have changed you should contact your service provider to enquire about its process for notifying you of the proposed changes and your right to withdraw. If you are not satisfied that you were appropriately notified, at least one month in advance, you should lodge a formal complaint with your service provider. If your complaint is not dealt with appropriately, you can escalate the matter to ComReg’s ConsumerLine.
    http://www.askcomreg.ie/home/is_my_service_provider_allowed_to_change_the_terms_and_conditions_of_a_package_i_have_signed_up_for_.1.202.LE.asp

It seems a few posters are not getting anywhere with the regulation 17 bylaw
    Under Regulation 17 of the European Communities (Electronic Communications Networks and Services) (Universal Services and Users' Rights) Regulations 2003, an operator shall, not less than one month prior to the date of implementation of any proposed modification, notify its subscribers to that service of the proposed modification in the conditions of the contract for that service and their right to withdraw without penalty from such contract if they do not accept the modification

Meteor are having none of it and are in my option breaking the law. Anyway if you get no where you can escalate this to ComReg. I would ring them up and ask to cancel and see how you get on and quote what ComReg have on there website and also Regulation 17.

Chances are you will get a null response from this. If so ask for the e-mail address to lodge a formal complain and also do it in writing. You will more than likely get the same response back, if so escalate this to ComReg and say that you have lodge a formal complaint with Meteor and they still won't acknowledge Regulation 17 or basic Irish law for that matter and ComReg should sort it out.

Basically it's the same as was on here a few months back about the UPC contract changes!

Best of luck hope this helps a few people.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Any idea if this change is happening with emobile?

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Rafloution

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭balfe1990

Okay, explain like I'm five.

What can one actually do with this info? I can walk away from my new (three months into a 24 month contract, subsidized handset) without any fees?

Surely not?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Etnies

Do I have to be "that" person that says where's the bargain alert

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

balfe1990 wrote: »

What can one actually do with this info? I can walk away from my new (three months into a 24 month contract, subsidized handset) without any fees?

Surely not?

There was a similar issue around 4yrs ago, they agreed to cancel contracts BUT you had to send in the handset you got, they'd reimburse you if you paid, if it was a free handset you got nothing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭wilser

balfe1990 wrote: »

Surely not?

Think I'm missing something as well,
    From my reading of the op meteor are just letting you know that a directory service provider have increased their price to meteor, who are passing on these extra charges to their customers.
    Not sure how this makes your contract null and void but maybe I'm not connecting the dots properly

Etnies wrote: »

yes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

People actually still use Directory Enquiries now? Seriously?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

OK, This is interesting. Just opened a business account last week with emobile, all on rolling contracts apart from 1 which is locked to two years because of a handset on it which was only ordered today.

No there's no plans to leave, they're excellent value, realistically We'll probably be with them for at least two years, but I would like the option to go elsewhere without penalty if we wanted to (would pay for the handset naturally).

Could we do that ? If so, what do we need to do to break the contract (while informing them we'll be maintaining the account), is there a terminology we need to use ?

wilser wrote: »
    From my reading of the op meteor are just letting you know that a directory service provider have increased their price to meteor, who are passing on these extra charges to their customers.
    Not sure how this makes your contract null and void but maybe I'm not connecting the dots properly

its still a change in the contract, they don't have to pass the charges on.. if they didn't ur contract would be the same...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

The bargain alert is if you wish to get out of contract early. Maybe you want a new phone and are still in contract so can't get a new phone. You could leave your contract and sign up and get a new phone on a new contract.

This isn't a get a free phone and scam Meteor. It's if you wanted to say move to Three but it will cost you the balance of closing your account say 400€ if you cancel now it will cost 0€ and your free to move. Saving you the 400€
    wilser wrote: »

True, which is a change to the contract. When you sign a contract you agree to certain rates and tariffs. Say you sign up to a 49.99€ per month plan. Meteor can't decide in two weeks too up that plan to 69.99€ per month without giving you an option to leave. So Meteor passing on the rate is changing part of your contract tariffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Here's the last time this happened, was a total clusterfcuk

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055977831

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭wilser

TallGlass wrote: »
    The bargain alert is if you wish to get out of contract early. Maybe you want a new phone and are still in contract so can't get a new phone. You could leave your contract and sign up and get a new phone on a new contract.

This isn't a get a free phone and scam Meteor. It's if you wanted to say move to Three but it will cost you the balance of closing your account say 400€ if you cancel now it will cost 0€ and your free to move. Saving you the 400€

True, which is a change to the contract. When you sign a contract you agree to certain rates and tariffs. Say you sign up to a 49.99€ per month plan. Meteor can't decide in two weeks too up that plan to 69.99€ per month without giving you an option to leave. So Meteor passing on the rate is changing part of your contract tariffs.

So if the sex lines started charging €20 a minute meteor aren't allowed to pass these charges on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

If it's anything like the time O2 did this then it could be the bargain of the year for some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

I availed of this last time for an early upgrade, still with Meteor 4 years on.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭darrenking

Has anybody actually successfully terminated their contract yet this way and if so how?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭BArra

Interested in leaving emobile due to dreadful 3g speed going on months now. They seem to be throttling.

Anybody care to be the guinea pig to leave emobile and report back ;)

BArra wrote: »
    Interested in leaving emobile due to dreadful 3g speed going on months now. They seem to be throttling.

Anybody care to be the guinea pig to leave emobile and report back ;)

I'm your Huckleberry!

I've been locked into a contract the past year with emonile and have another 6 months left. I cant get a single bar if reception most of the time never mind 3g!!

Thanks OP you've made my day!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

I availed of this few years ago..rang up said i wanted out of contract..offerd me a instant upgrade to stay

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

I availed of this last time for an early upgrade, still with Meteor 4 years on.

"You're not happy with the new lower prices..?"

"No, and I'd like to terminate my contract please."

:pac:

I stayed with them for a year anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,919 ✭✭✭dodzy

Can't see this as a "get out" folks, really. It's not like they are upping their charges, changing mins/text plans etc;

This is a 3rd party price change and I cannot see it allowing one to get out but happy days for those affected if it works out.

FWIW, 2.90 per min for 11850 in a crime. Regulators - me hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭Darren 83

Meteor not playing ball, saying its only effects payg.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

"You're not happy with the new lower prices..?"

"No, and I'd like to terminate my contract please."

:pac:

I stayed with them for a year anyway.

Think it was a roaming price increase last time ..not that i cared 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Think it was a roaming price increase last time ..not that i cared 😀

Not when I did it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I cannot see this benefiting any contract customers as meteor would lose a small fortune. I have 12 months rental left on my iPhone contract so for them to write that off would be mental without a significant fight?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭BArra

TheTorment wrote: »
    I'm your Huckleberry!

I've been locked into a contract the past year with emonile and have another 6 months left. I cant get a single bar if reception most of the time never mind 3g!!

Thanks OP you've made my day!

Haha. Report back please Huckleberry!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

Beer Baron wrote: »
    I cannot see this benefiting any contract customers as meteor would lose a small fortune. I have 12 months rental left on my iPhone contract so for them to write that off would be mental without a significant fight?

i've 24 months left :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Darren 83 wrote: »
    Meteor not playing ball, saying its only effects payg.

It clearly says billpay customers in the message at the top?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭Darren 83

Tusky wrote: »
    It clearly says billpay customers in the message at the top?

They are saying it does not affect me so wont release me from contract

• Advertisement

BArra wrote: »
    Haha. Report back please Huckleberry!

Just spoke to emobile
    firstly they said all customers were notified by text or letter. I received neither.
    Apparently the new charges are NOT included in my anytime contract. So according to emobile this does not infringe my contract.

The CS rep wasn't sure tbh and spoke to her manager

Advertisement