Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

April 2015 Babies Club

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

I won't be going semi private or private, so I can leave it a couple of weeks yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭ainy

hey spottybananas,
    just popped in from the march 2015 thread, wanted to let you know that your first appointment should be free with the gp, it was for me anyway, once the gp is happy to care for you for your pregnancy your appointments up to 6 weeks post partum are covered. they will fill in a form and send it off and they get paid through the state for maternity services, (I think this is right anyway!)
    its also nice to get the ball rolling on the hospital appointments because it gives you something to focus on, its such a worrying time the first few weeks!
    anyway sorry for butting in on your thread, congrats to all the new mums to be!

ainy wrote: »
    hey spottybananas,
    just popped in from the march 2015 thread, wanted to let you know that your first appointment should be free with the gp, it was for me anyway, once the gp is happy to care for you for your pregnancy your appointments up to 6 weeks post partum are covered. they will fill in a form and send it off and they get paid through the state for maternity services, (I think this is right anyway!)
    its also nice to get the ball rolling on the hospital appointments because it gives you something to focus on, its such a worrying time the first few weeks!
    anyway sorry for butting in on your thread, congrats to all the new mums to be!

Thanks ainy! See for now because my period was due yesterday (and I have as stash of cheapie tests) I'm ok with waiting because things are going fine, I know with me that it will be in about 2+ weeks time that I start thinking...what's happening in there??, and that I can last until then if I need to :) I'm really busy with work until the end of this month so I might leave it until the first week in September when I can make it to an appointment on a lunch break. It's all so scary and real!

Also, what do you mean once they're happy to care for you, can they say no, I have to pay for appt anyway, and have to find another gp? I don't have a gp where I'm living, well, I suppose I do have a particular medical centre I have gone too a few times in the past, but I have no real history with a particular doctor for a number of years or anything.

Glad to have found this thread, it's tough trying not to tell anyone. Congrats to everyone else btw :)

Edit: Just read this though on an Irish Maternity advice website - A lot of women assume that this visit to the GP is covered under the Mother & Child Scheme (M&CS) and they won’t have to pay. However you will have to pay your GP for this visit. I'm so confused already...

sorry that came across wrong! I cant imagine they'd ever say no but when I went to my gp she had the form there and handed it back and the part she signed against was that she was willing to care for the above patient throughout the pregnancy! its just a standard form I presume! sorry for the confusion! I just wanted to let you know that, if it was only the money thing! theres no right time to go, except when its right for you and you seem pretty comfortable with waiting, i'm just impatient!!!

just read your edit! maybe my gp was just being nice so!!

• Advertisement

ainy wrote: »
    sorry that came across wrong! I cant imagine they'd ever say no but when I went to my gp she had the form there and handed it back and the part she signed against was that she was willing to care for the above patient throughout the pregnancy! its just a standard form I presume! sorry for the confusion! I just wanted to let you know that, if it was only the money thing! theres no right time to go, except when its right for you and you seem pretty comfortable with waiting, i'm just impatient!!!

Thanks, just want to be sure before I make a fool of myself with any doctors lol. It's not really a money thing, well obviously I don't want to throw away money but just trying to see how this all works. I appreciate the advice, I'll definitely book it soon.

I'm normally the most impatient person alive, but this is surreal for now and like a game so when reality sinks in I will probably go back to my impatient self!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭Ms2011

On my first I didn't go to my GP until after 7 weeks even though I knew I was pregnant from 4 weeks. I was busy at work too plus so much can go wrong in the early daya that I just decided to wait awhile.
    One this pregnancy I haven't been to my GP at all, you don't need a doctor's referral for the Coombe so I just registered online myself & got my appointments in the post on Monday.

Thanks Ms2011. I think I have to have a referral for the hospital I will be going to.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭tryagain2012

Im pretty sure i pay for my first appointment and then all free after that. Congrats to all :)

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭LoopyLolly88

mollycasey wrote: »
    I think it will be around April 21st! Going to go to the doc Monday!

Aww lovely :) exciting times ahead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Gonzp

Hi all,

I'm joining this thread also as I'm just eight weeks pregnant and am due on the 3rd of April... I've just came off the Due Nov 2014 thread and can't believe I'm here again.. Had my first on Dec 5th... My little one is not sleeping well at all, wakes about 5/6 times a night, sometimes more, couple that with pregnancy tiredness, I'm feeling the pressure at the moment.... Any of ye experienced Mums have any advice on sleeping problems with babies... We are both at the end of our tether with the lack of sleep... Thanks in advance

Congrats Gonzp!

Bought a Pregnacare vitamin thing this morning, this is all getting a bit real, but is still surreal at the same time. It's so weird when you don't see or feel any changes yet peeing on sticks tells you there is a big change :) I had a bit of a panicky meltdown on Thursday but my husband was a star and has been so supportive even in just these last few days.

Hope everyone else is doing well, have a good weekend with our new secrets! :)

Gonzp wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm joining this thread also as I'm just eight weeks pregnant and am due on the 3rd of April... I've just came off the Due Nov 2014 thread and can't believe I'm here again.. Had my first on Dec 5th... My little one is not sleeping well at all, wakes about 5/6 times a night, sometimes more, couple that with pregnancy tiredness, I'm feeling the pressure at the moment.... Any of ye experienced Mums have any advice on sleeping problems with babies... We are both at the end of our tether with the lack of sleep... Thanks in advance

congrats and I feel for you im due my third at the end of april please God but im one of the annoying parents whos kids are great sleepers but I have such a fear of how I would cope with a baby that doesn't sleep hopefully your first settles before number 2 arrives

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Gonzp

congrats and I feel for you im due my third at the end of april please God but im one of the annoying parents whos kids are great sleepers but I have such a fear of how I would cope with a baby that doesn't sleep hopefully your first settles before number 2 arrives

Thanks a mill, Im praying that things will improve, although when number two arrives I ll be up again anyway... It would be nice to have some proper sleep before that though... fingers crossed...

Don't knock the good sleepers, enjoy it and embrace it... your lucky... Number 3 will be the same, you seem to have the touch...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Nicolaforest

Hi ladies, I got my appointments in the post! My booking apt to meet my midwife is the 17th of Sep (I'm doing Domino) and my dating scan is the 24th. I'll be 12 weeks 2 days then and I can't wait!! Still so exhausted all the time but I'm taking regular naps which helps. Finding it hard not to burst with excitement these days :-D

How exciting Nicola! I've been fine with not telling anyone (we only found out early last week, you'd swear it was ages ago), but today I'm bursting to tell someone, anyone! I think hitting 5 weeks is making it more real. There are a few close friends/relatives that I would love to be able to talk to, just one, as they are parents or are pregnant, but I know my husband would think it would be unfair to tell them before our parents.

I have no symptoms really for the last few days, well other than a bit of cramping here and there every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭mollycasey

Hi All

Just wondering if any of ye are experiencing cramps? I'm 6 weeks and the last week I get them once a day they last for less than 10mins feel like period pain. This is my first pregnancy so have nothing to compare it too. I have no bleeding or spotting so fingers crossed it's nothing bad.

Hi All

Just wondering if any of ye are experiencing cramps? I'm 6 weeks and the last week I get them once a day they last for less than 10mins feel like period pain. This is my first pregnancy so have nothing to compare it too. I have no bleeding or spotting so fingers crossed it's nothing bad.

Yep I get a nasty batch of cramps for about 5-10 mins once or twice a day. It was different and really sore last week which I now know was implantation, now it's just aches "around" the place, it's the uterus stretching and stuff, usually nothing to worry about.

Hi All

I've not had too much cramping this time round but on my first I had a good bit, I presume cos everything was stretching in ways it never had before.

My new lovely (not) symptom is a really bad taste in my mouth that I can't get rid of, makes the nausea even worse. Is the first trimester over yet..........:(

Ms2011 wrote: »
    I've not had too much cramping this time round but on my first I had a good bit, I presume cos everything was stretching in ways it never had before.

My new lovely (not) symptom is a really bad taste in my mouth that I can't get rid of, makes the nausea even worse. Is the first trimester over yet..........:(

Thanks for the replies i was thinking it was just everything stretching but sometimes your mind just goes into over drive!! I've been lucky so far with no sickness I'm praying it will stay like that!!

• Advertisement

My husband was asking yesterday how I was having stretching pain for something the size of a poppyseed. After a minute or two wondering I said well I suppose imagine what it feels like when there's a tiny speck of dirt in your eye, or a tiny blister on your tongue, it feels huge in comparison to where it is. A poppyseed (appleseed today at 5 weeks ha!) could be big and irritating too!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Nicolaforest

I've had a small bit of cramping too but nothing major. My MIL had 5 kids and said its totally normal so I didn't worry. I have to say I'm very lucky that she is lovely and we get on great, I've seen some horror stories on other threads!!

Edit: I was wondering if anyone else is having back pain? Some mornings my hips/ bum / lower back area is so stiff and sore I can barely get out of bed. Any feedback appreciated, thanks.

Another question!! I plan on flying to the UK when i am 8 weeks.....do ye think this would be a problem?

Another question!! I plan on flying to the UK when i am 8 weeks.....do ye think this would be a problem?

No, there are no problems with flying in pregnancy only that they don't want you giving birth on a plane! I'm flying at (hopefully) 12 and 14 weeks, not worried about it.

I've no extra back pain, I just generally have back pain anyway :(

No, there are no problems with flying in pregnancy only that they don't want you giving birth on a plane! I'm flying at (hopefully) 12 and 14 weeks, not worried about it.

I've no extra back pain, I just generally have back pain anyway :(

Thanks Spottybananas, i was thinking it would be ok but just said i would check.

When i was pregnant with my first i had no problem keeping it secret told nobody until I was three months, but im on my third now and it really cracks me up telling lies all the time when everyone probably knows Im lying, going out with a couple of friends Friday night and cant drink so just have to make up some silly story about why i cant drink when they will all just guess anyway. Ah the joys definetly wont last till 12 weeks :rolleyes: (sorry rant over:D)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Fuffle

Hi everyone - another first timer here. Went to the doc with suspected iron deficiency at the end of July, came out with a positive pregnancy test! Going for a dating scan next Friday, when I reckon I'll be 9 or 10 weeks, but doc reckons its sometime around next April.

Only thing is, I'm overseas, and have been for the last two years. Moving home shortly so I have my family and friends around me, but no idea what to do next. Pretty sure no one's going to want to hire me.

Technicalities aside, I am so very very excited, as is my boyfriend. Stressing over the looming scan though in case there's nothing there. Have been nauseous, peeing, exhausted, hot, short of breath, pain in back, cramping and windy since literally the end of July (hencewhy I went to the doc) which is reassuring as this means, touch wood, all is normal?

Have told my 3 best friends, my family (who are over the moon considering I'm in my early 20s and still feel like a child myself) and my boyfriend has told his mother and 2 of his friends. But they're all in Ireland, so I have no one other than himself to discuss this with, hencewhy I've decided to chip in here.

Sorry for the long winded intro, I'm excited to share this experience with you all!

Congrats Fuffle! I'm beginning to think we're being weird not telling some very close people, although I'm a good bit behind you, only 5 weeks. I'm going to be seeing one of my best friends this weekend for the first time since we found out, it's going to be tough not to tell her, but I just don't feel like doing it at the same time. So confusing! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

Mmmm day time nap :-) I feel better!

• Advertisement

Spottybananas I told my sister & OH told his mam, the rest we'll tell after our scan in 2 weeks.

bp my 2 years old wouldn't co operate with a nap today as he slept late this morning so no nap for me today :(

Advertisement