Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

$1031 Etihad return flights to Dublin

• 30-07-2014 3:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭

Anyone thinking of heading home for a visit in October or November, I just got an email saying Etihad have flights to Dublin for $1031 return through Skyscanner.

I checked Sydney and it's $1049 return and that's 25 hours there and 24 hours back thru Jetabroad who I booked thru before.

I have literally never seen them this cheap!

Be quick!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

That is a very good price!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭The_Hustler

I've found a few Melbourne to Dublin December 6/7 and back to Melbourne Jan 4th for around the $1,600 mark with Etihad.

Later in December it gets a bit pricier but still very good for that time of year

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭res ipsa

Batgurl wrote: »
    Anyone thinking of heading home for a visit in October or November, I just got an email saying Etihad have flights to Dublin for $1031 return through Skyscanner.

I checked Sydney and it's $1049 return and that's 25 hours there and 24 hours back thru Jetabroad who I booked thru before.

I have literally never seen them this cheap!

Be quick!
    Did u book it?
    I find jet abroad promise big but never deliver.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

I saw the deal last week and booked. The flights are cheap but part of that price is $50 discount and $50 cash back if you use PayPal. I booked 2 tickets sydney to Dublin for November and they were about $1053 each. The total came to about $2156 ($1053+$1053 = $2106). I paid for both tickets with the 1 PayPal transaction so the $50 cash back only applied to 1 ticket. I did this knowingly as I wanted both tickets to be seated together.

It's only the first 200 tickets bought as well.

1 stopover, about 23 hours one way and 25 hours back.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭robbie67

I got on to Perth in April for €811 on Etihad website

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

res ipsa wrote: »
    Did u book it?
    I find jet abroad promise big but never deliver.

Nope. I've already booked for Xmas unfortunately so can't spare the leave but otherwise I reckon I couldn't have passed them up. Just thought someone here might be able to benefit from them.

I've booked Jetabroad before. Not sure what you mean "never deliver".

They gave me the airline booking ref so I was able to log on, add my FF number, select my seat etc

pete4130 wrote: »
    I saw the deal last week and booked. The flights are cheap but part of that price is $50 discount and $50 cash back if you use PayPal. I booked 2 tickets sydney to Dublin for November and they were about $1053 each. The total came to about $2156 ($1053+$1053 = $2106). I paid for both tickets with the 1 PayPal transaction so the $50 cash back only applied to 1 ticket. I did this knowingly as I wanted both tickets to be seated together.

It's only the first 200 tickets bought as well.

1 stopover, about 23 hours one way and 25 hours back.

Booking together won't guarantee seats together. Make sure to get you reference number and log on to etihad direct to select your seats.

Alternatively, ring etihad direct and get them to do it via name. I can't imagine the plane will be full (flew before in oct and had four seats to myself) but you can never be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭res ipsa

I've booked Jetabroad before. Not sure what you mean "never deliver".

They gave me the airline booking ref so I was able to log on, add my FF number, select my seat etc

I mean they offer cheap fares let u fill in all your details & then tell you the airline has pulled the fare and offer you a more expensive one.

res ipsa wrote: »
    I mean they offer cheap fares let u fill in all your details & then tell you the airline has pulled the fare and offer you a more expensive one.

Oh wow really?

No I've never experienced that but I've only booked with them once.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭universe777

Going to book a trip home for xmas soon from 13th Dec - 3rd Jan. Anyone know what the best way to do it is - Flightcentre, STA Travel, Skyscanner or direct?
    Etihad is quoting over $3k!
    Skyscanner is around the $2500 mark but redirects me to ifly.net.au.. Not sure if it's totally legit.
    Not keen on KLM/Air France/Malaysian or any dodgy Asian airline..

• Advertisement

You've probably left it too late especially for those dates (Saturday to Saturday when pretty much everyone will be travelling) for Etihad or Emirates.
    Not keen on KLM/Air France/Malaysian or any dodgy Asian airline..

Why do you think these are dodgey? Have you ever flown with them?

You've probably left it too late especially for those dates (Saturday to Saturday when pretty much everyone will be travelling) for Etihad or Emirates.

Why do you think these are dodgey? Have you ever flown with them?

You've skipped over my question completely! Left it too late for what? There are still flights.
    KLM use Malaysian on a lot of their routes this side of the world. Air France don't have a great record. You only need to Google to see that. I would rather fly with a reputable airline like Qatar, Aer Lingus, Emirates, Etihad, Virgin etc

You've skipped over my question completely! Left it too late for what? There are still flights.
    KLM use Malaysian on a lot of their routes this side of the world. Air France don't have a great record. You only need to Google to see that. I would rather fly with a reputable airline like Qatar, Aer Lingus, Emirates, Etihad, Virgin etc

You have probably left it too late to get a decent fare on those dates. $3k is what I would expect to pay if I was looking for a reputable airline.

That said...I don't mind flying the "dodgey" ones and can actually find them for well under $2k for your exact dates!

You have probably left it too late to get a decent fare on those dates. $3k is what I would expect to pay if I was looking for a reputable airline.

That said...I don't mind flying the "dodgey" ones and can actually find them for well under $2k for your exact dates!

My question wasn't about price it was about where is the best place to book the flight?

My question wasn't about price it was about where is the best place to book the flight?

The best place is obviously directly with the airline.

Try sta for flights but yes very late to book these flights now. Christmas is peak peak season so expect to pay at least 2000 if not up to $3000

Also nothing per say wrong with Malaysian airlines. Have flown with them on a few occasions. They have the a380 from KL -> LON. Food isn't too bad and staff are nice. Much better than BA or KLM. Emirates have gone down hill IMO. The only good things they have are the a380 on almost all routes (but not Dublin) and their inflight entertainment. Customer service sucks in general. Once eithad get their a380's and dream liners into the air they will be by far the best airline to fly the kangeroo route

• Registered Users Posts: 2 conorjdunne

I've booked Etihad through Virgin Australia for 10th December, Melbourne to Dublin one stop for $891 per person one way. Worked out cheaper than booking a return flight with Emirates or Etihad. Had to be one stop only. We're looking at a return with Emirates on the 2nd of Jan for around $1,100 each

EDIT: After I received the confirmation email I logged onto the Etihad website and reserved 2 seats beside each other. The flight from Abu Dhabi to Dublin has a 2-4-2 A330 layout so perfect for a couple, as apposed to Emirates 3-4-3 Boeing 777

These are back! Found dates in November for $1079 on multiple sites with Etihad. Makes you worry about how bad the airline is doing that they can drop their pants this low.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

These are back! Found dates in November for $1079 on multiple sites with Etihad. Makes you worry about how bad the airline is doing that they can drop their pants this low.

Are these one-way flights? I went on to the Etihad website but couldn't find anything too cheap. They say there's a sale for flights between now and 26th Jan but the prices look as high as always :confused:

• Advertisement

Are these one-way flights? I went on to the Etihad website but couldn't find anything too cheap. They say there's a sale for flights between now and 26th Jan but the prices look as high as always :confused:

Nope return.

Try bestjet or sta travel or expedia. Contrary to popular opinion, airlines direct aren't always cheapest!

Why do they have to be 'bad' to have good deals? I flew them last year $1250 return SYD -> AMS and they were great. Flew them again this year. Much better than BA and KLM. On par with the rest of them. Great service and the best food of the lot.

November is a great time to fly as airlines flying longhaul tend to struggle to get near full. It is just before the Christmas peak season, no one goes on holiday in November either.
    The reason they are low fares is because they also want to get market share and introduce customers to their product. The middle eastern airlines are also privately owned by a bunch of oil backed mutual funds so do not have to exist in the real economic world like other airlines. Their costs are much lower too as they can leverage low paid workers and low taxes of UAE.

Etihad are good airline, on par with Emirates or Qantas if not better in some respects.

jank wrote: »
    Why do they have to be 'bad' to have good deals? I flew them last year $1250 return SYD -> AMS and they were great. Flew them again this year. Much better than BA and KLM. On par with the rest of them. Great service and the best food of the lot.

November is a great time to fly as airlines flying longhaul tend to struggle to get near full. It is just before the Christmas peak season, no one goes on holiday in November either.
    The reason they are low fares is because they also want to get market share and introduce customers to their product. The middle eastern airlines are also privately owned by a bunch of oil backed mutual funds so do not have to exist in the real economic world like other airlines. Their costs are much lower too as they can leverage low paid workers and low taxes of UAE.

Etihad are good airline, on par with Emirates or Qantas if not better in some respects.

I didn't mean bad in the user experience aspect. I've flown Etihad, they are fab! I meant how much they must be struggling financially.

November is generally low season for airlines alright but $1100 is traditionally unheard of for a carrier like Etihad. This is backed up by the fact that you can't actually get these fares direct. What they have done is released them to their high yielding third party channels in the hopes to drive last minute volume.

It's the same way concert promoters drop the prices of tickets closer to a gig date as they are in a faff about selling seats. Market share isn't really an issue on the Dublin route as they know Emirates is their only competition for 1-stop flights.

I didn't mean bad in the user experience aspect. I've flown Etihad, they are fab! I meant how much they must be struggling financially.

November is generally low season for airlines alright but $1100 is traditionally unheard of for a carrier like Etihad. This is backed up by the fact that you can't actually get these fares direct. What they have done is released them to their high yielding third party channels in the hopes to drive last minute volume.

It's the same way concert promoters drop the prices of tickets closer to a gig date as they are in a faff about selling seats. Market share isn't really an issue on the Dublin route as they know Emirates is their only competition for 1-stop flights.

Etihad do not operate in normal market conditions due to their ownership. Qantas has been complaining about the two middle eastern airline for years. Now of course they have admitted defeat and have joined up with Emirates. I think there is an agreement between Emirates and Qantas regards price .i.e no more below cost selling, therefore Etihad can now offer flights for much cheaper. Win win for the consumer.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 natter85

Also bear in it's not just airlines who have control over pricing. Many online retailers will heavily discount at this time of year (when 2015 earlybirds are on sale) in order to generate further business. That's where the likes of Skyscanner are sites with discounts on offer can jump about quite frequently.

Advertisement