Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Physical force republican groups unite to form new IRA

• 26-07-2012 10:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

Three of the four main dissident republican terror groups in Northern Ireland are to merge and reclaim the banner of the IRA, in a major escalation of attempts to destabilise power sharing.

The Real IRA has been joined by Republican Action Against Drugs, which has been running a violent vigilante campaign in Derry, and a loose coalition of independent armed republican groups – leaving only the Continuity IRA outside the group.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/jul/26/ira-northern-ireland-dissident-republican-groups

A follow up article telling us how the statement was delivered:
    In the dark isolation of a dirt track just across the border in the Irish republic the 15 minutes seemed like a lifetime. I had been dropped near a disused farmhouse after being driven at top speed out of Derry city centre close to the Bogside, the neighbourhood that bears most of the scars of the Troubles.

The instructions were firm, the tone cold: walk down, parallel to the city's ancient walls, wait for a car to stop, get in, say nothing and be taken to the destination.

The republican dissidents who oppose the peace process were going to extraordinary lengths to deliver a statement about a development in their armed campaign; their insistence on security, and insurance that in the process they were not being tailed was extremely thorough.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/jul/26/republican-dissidents-statement-real-ira

And the statement itself;
    "Following extensive consultations, Irish republicans and a number of organisations involved in armed actions against the armed forces of the British crown have come together within a unified structure, under a single leadership, subservient to the constitution of the Irish Republican Army.

"The leadership of the Irish Republican Army remains committed to the full realisation of the ideals and principles enshrined in the Proclamation of 1916.

"In recent years the establishment of a free and independent Ireland has suffered setbacks due to the failure among the leadership of Irish nationalism and fractures within republicanism. The root cause of conflict in our country is the subversion of the nation's inalienable right to self-determination and this has yet to be addressed. Instead the Irish people have been sold a phoney peace, rubber-stamped by a token legislature in Stormont.

"Non-conformist republicans are being subjected to harassment, arrest and violence by the forces of the British crown; others have been interned on the direction of an English overlord. It is Britain, not the IRA, which has chosen provocation and conflict.

"The IRA's mandate for armed struggle derives from Britain's denial of the fundamental right of the Irish people to national self-determination and sovereignty – so long as Britain persists in its denial of national and democratic rights in Ireland the IRA will have to continue to assert those rights.

"The necessity of armed struggle in pursuit of Irish freedom can be avoided through the removal of the British military presence in our country, the dismantling of their armed militias and the declaration of an internationally observed timescale that details the dismantling of British political interference in our country.

"Signed Army Council … IRA."

Surprised there was no thread on this already, given the potential significance of it. If this is true, and they have unified (I believe it is true) and the three groups (RIRA, RAAD and more significantly ONH) have managed to put aside their numerous differences and form a unified group, something which I thought was impossible, this is probably the biggest development for armed republicanism since 1997.

There has to be serious questions asked about British policy in the six counties if groups which were at each others throats not too long ago can put aside their differences. One of the main reason for this I feel is what has happened in the prisons and with Marian Price and Martin Corey. Anti GFA republicans have stood together over issues with prisoners, perhaps this development is a natural one stemming from that.

Intransigence from people who should really know better has thrust these groups together and sprung a "new IRA", an atmosphere of unity has been forged by the powers that be, something which could have been easily prevented by using some common sense.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

Just in case it's not clear, and before someone puts words in my mouth, I am NOT happy that this has happened, quite the opposite in fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

To be honest I think the vast majority of people in Ireland wish they'd all just go away at this stage. Most people don't care.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

I would consider myself a republican (in the true meaning of the word) and cannot see how this will help anything, the fight for Irish freedom will be won with the pen rather than the sword, surely that has become obvious. The idea of the RIRA and the RAAD working together is laughable considering the influence the RIRA has on the Irish drug scene. The people than are abstaining from this group is more important than those who have aligned with it

• Registered Users Posts: 46 the mer

hope it doesnt start up again

gpf101 wrote: »
    To be honest I think the vast majority of people in Ireland wish they'd all just go away at this stage. Most people don't care.
    True, but if you want them to go away you need to do things (or not do things) in order to encourage that to come about. That however is not happening, quite the opposite in fact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

gpf101 wrote: »

Not caring might be part of the reason these people continue to behave as they do. Too many people seem to wish their problem would just go away, few ever attempt to make that so.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

RichardAnd wrote: »
    Not caring might be part of the reason these people continue to behave as they do. Too many people seem to wish their problem would just go away, few ever attempt to make that so.

True, but what can be done? Until the people themselves accept that living peacefully with both sides accommodated is the only way forward then there will always be a small group willing to go to extremes to get their agenda across.

As much as I'd like a 32 county Republic in theory, in reality I know it will never happen and we have to make the best of the way things are.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

They're a pack of old fat men who need to get laid.

Sorry I'm unwilling to analyse it further, but I think the biggest problem is the poisonous legacy of 1916 in Irish history and the fact that these people have guns. So long as Ireland is divided there will be people like this. Just like as in America there will always be people to go on a murdering rampage. What is there to do? Its a national disease that affects an overwhelmingly tiny minority, just like the American mass killers.

Denerick wrote: »

Sorry I'm unwilling to analyse it further, but I think the biggest problem is the poisonous legacy of 1916 in Irish history and the fact that these people have guns. So long as Ireland is divided there will be people like this. Just like as in America there will always be people to go on a murdering rampage. What is there to do? Its a national disease that affects an overwhelmingly tiny minority, just like the American mass killers.

Then why post?

Some of us might want to, and not go down the road of debating the merits of 1916 once again.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

True, but if you want them to go away you need to do things (or not do things) in order to encourage that to come about. That however is not happening, quite the opposite in fact.
    You mean make concessions that favour your views. I wonder if unionist paramilitaries reformed off this would you be as quick to propose consessions to them. I say do nothing about this groups and let MI5, the PSNI and the BA do their jobs.

• Advertisement

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    You mean make concessions that favour your views. I wonder if unionist paramilitaries reformed off this would you be as quick to propose consessionsto them. I say do nothing about this groups and let MI5, the PSNI and the BA do their jobs.

Reformed? They never disbanded.

Concessions?

Simple steps that could be taken to undermine support would be to reform the prisons, have them the same way as Portlaoise. Stop breaching the human rights of republicans (described as such by a Judge) like Martin Corey. Reign in stop and searches and house raids.

These are hardly major things.

My political agenda is to see a united Ireland brought about by peaceful means, armed republicanism, which has no chance of working in this climate, hinders that goal.

Intransigence has brought about unity among these armed groups. This is not a good development, clearly a rethink is necessary. Letting those people "do their jobs" clearly hasn't worked has it? It never has.

I'm sure they are delighted however, won't be getting their budgets cut!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Hannibal

these groups are always going to be there proclaiming to be the next/new IRA etc but the conditions aren't ripe for an armed campaign, the wheels are in motion for a 32 county Ireland and it will only come through dialogue, openness, respect and reconciliation.

I find most of these groups are basically anti-SF to the extent most of the people involved with them and others like 32CSM, Eirigi etc would be better off joining the DUP and letting their steam off.

Around 20 years ago the IRA realised that they couldn't win alone with an armed campaign, they accepted SF's strategy and playing the long game of politics coupled with forward thinking. I reckon easily about 95% of IRA members gave the game up but there's a small minority who have missed the boat and still think there's a war going on.

Not one leading member of any dissident group has accepted MMcG's offer of talks because deep down they know their campaign is futile and having the bigger picture explained to them would probably blow their minds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭LoYL

So the PIRA joins with the RIRA, the CIRA and the OIRA to form the PORC IRA. They should smuggle sausages.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Reformed? They never disbanded.

Concessions?

Simple steps that could be taken to undermine support would be to reform the prisons, have them the same way as Portlaoise. Stop breaching the human rights of republicans (described as such by a Judge) like Martin Corey. Reign in stop and searches and house raids.

These are hardly major things.

My political agenda is to see a united Ireland brought about by peaceful means, armed republicanism, which has no chance of working in this climate, hinders that goal.

Intransigence has brought about unity among these armed groups. This is not a good development, clearly a rethink is necessary. Letting those people "do their jobs" clearly hasn't worked has it? It never has.

I'm sure they are delighted however, won't be getting their budgets cut!
    Yes they are concessions. We can not allow men with guns to make demands of the government. If they are concerned with the conditions of prisoners let them take it up with their member of parliment as is their democratic right. Intransigence shows weakness and the government cannot be scene to bow at the threat of the resurgence of violence.

Reign in stop and searches and house raids? If these groups are really reforming then it seems to me we should be dramatically increasing searchs and house raids. And if the PSNI, BA and MI5 do prove incapable of controlling these people then there may be call for policy or budgetary reforms to stop this terrorism before it spreads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

There seems to be a collective shoulder shrug at most about this news. Most people will just think its all very 20th century and quite irrelevant here and now. Who is going to back them? Running an on going terror campaign takes money. Do they have money-raising friends in Libya? The USA? Kerry? North Korea?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

They don't have much support so they will only ever be a thorn in the side. Peace is the only way forward. Not many are interested in rehashing the old ways in the north.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 930 ✭✭✭poeticseraphim

They should be hunted down and exiled.

Seriously they are hated ...by Irish people ..they are oppressive to Irish culture.

I wonder how SF will try to spin it?? It should destroy their gains.

They have effectively destroyed any chance of the South accepting the Idea of a united Ireland now never mind the North.

They should be treated as nothing more than criminals.

Forget about them...they are as oppressive as any foreign force really anti democratic scum.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

The following concessions shall be made if they start doing the same sh|te again;

The army will come back
    There will be random checks at borders
    More republican civilians get targeted

Also, the other side shall probably reform, and we'll be back to step one again, but the rules will be slightly different.

They'll all be seen as terrorists, and if, when they attempt to import arms, any links to Al Qaeda are made, they'll very soon understand the words;

Sh|tstorm
    Unmanned UAV drones
    Bunker bombs
    Collateral damage.

Oh, and they'll be getting lads coming from Iraq, Afghanistan, etc, who fully understand what war means.

=-=

As for the "Republican Action Against Drugs" - I wonder do they only kick you out if you don't pay protection money?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

It's arguably a good thing. A more centralised criminal group is easier for law enforcement groups to take down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭h2005

Did the Dundon/McCarthys release a statement when they amalagamated ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭KyussBishop

Republican Action Against Drugs? lol. Yes, like they don't run their own fúcking drug business.

At this stage, they are largely just militarized criminal gangs, clutching on to supposed republican ideals as an excuse for their existence, so they can profit from criminal activities.

The longer the conflict goes on, the longer they can try to justify their existence, and the longer they can perpetuate their criminal enterprise.

the_syco wrote: »
    The following concessions shall be made if they start doing the same sh|te again;

The army will come back
    There will be random checks at borders
    More republican civilians get targeted

Also, the other side shall probably reform, and we'll be back to step one again, but the rules will be slightly different.

They'll all be seen as terrorists, and if, when they attempt to import arms, any links to Al Qaeda are made, they'll very soon understand the words;

Sh|tstorm
    Unmanned UAV drones
    Bunker bombs
    Collateral damage.

Oh, and they'll be getting lads coming from Iraq, Afghanistan, etc, who fully understand what war means.

=-=

As for the "Republican Action Against Drugs" - I wonder do they only kick you out if you don't pay protection money?
    Is that an attempt at a joke?

Sleepy wrote: »
    It's arguably a good thing. A more centralised criminal group is easier for law enforcement groups to take down.
    No, its not a good thing.

Having armed groups divided and weakened is surely better than having them unified.

Republican Action Against Drugs? lol. Yes, like they don't run their own fúcking drug business.

At this stage, they are largely just militarized criminal gangs, clutching on to supposed republican ideals as an excuse for their existence, so they can profit from criminal activities.

The longer the conflict goes on, the longer they can try to justify their existence, and the longer they can perpetuate their criminal enterprise.
    RAAD run their own drug business? Thats news to me. Any evidence at all or is it simply evening herald "IRA drugs kingpins" type nonsense?

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭scuba8

So now we have two groups of criminal thugs making demands and trying to subvert the democratic will of the people of Ireland.

RAAD run their own drug business? Thats news to me. Any evidence at all or is it simply evening herald "IRA drugs kingpins" type nonsense?
    It is about the remainder of the IRA groups in general, not that specific group; do you claim that none of the IRA groups run their own drug enterprise, or engage in regular criminal for-profit activity?

In my opinion, it would be extremely naive to think there is any reason for the IRA to attack drug gangs, other than to take over their market, or to extort money out of existing gangs.

There is no good reason left for their existence, except to maintain their built up criminal enterprise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

^^^^
    Seriously a lot of the people involved are probably the old hard line republicans who were (and presumably are) extremely anti-drugs, and anyway these people aren;t particularly logical if they were they wouldn;t be doing what they;re doing!! what ever you say about them they are ideologically driven
    Look at the amount of evidence of loyalist paramilitaries being involved in drugs there is a loads of verified evidence, if the dissidents were involved in drugs there would be at least a fair few proven cases.
    Criminality is a different matter, some people make a lot of money of non-drug related illegal imports, at a certain point a fair few years ago half the population of Derry seemed to be smoking dodgy "Palace" fags.

ps the INLA is a different matter.

pps they're bad enough anyway so there's not really a need to smear them

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

These people are tedious..and hopefully they are disorganised and badly equipped as has been the case for the last 15 odd years. :(

^^^^
    Seriously a lot of the people involved are probably the old hard line republicans who were (and presumably are) extremely anti-drugs, and anyway these people aren;t particularly logical if they were they wouldn;t be doing what they;re doing!! what ever you say about them they are ideologically driven
    Look at the amount of evidence of loyalist paramilitaries being involved in drugs there is a loads of verified evidence, if the dissidents were involved in drugs there would be at least a fair few proven cases.
    Criminality is a different matter, some people make a lot of money of non-drug related illegal imports, at a certain point a fair few years ago half the population of Derry seemed to be smoking dodgy "Palace" fags.

ps the INLA is a different matter.

pps they're bad enough anyway so there's not really a need to smear them
    Granted, the remaining IRA groups don't allow any direct connections to drug dealing activity within their groups, but you still need to be very naive to look past the groups significant connections with individuals and criminal groups directly involved in the drug trade, and particularly the Colombian FARC group a decade ago (which was a huge embarrassment to them).

The remaining IRA groups have their fingers dipped in significant criminal enterprise in every area, and are renowned for their extortion rackets; while there's no evidence nailing them directly regarding the drug trade, I'm personally of the opinion that it's very unlikely they stay out of just that one market, which happens to be the most lucrative one around.

Info on their connection to FARC a decade ago:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2001/dec/09/northernireland.colombia

More recent events that potentially link the IRA to drug dealing in the UK (but which I don't believe is hard evidence):
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/feb/14/drug-mule-jailed-double-murder

It can't be said that they definitely are involved in drug dealing, but to me, with their history of extortion (allegedly extending to drug gangs), connections with significant international individuals/groups involved in drug trading, their campaign hitting out at (potentially rival) drug gangs, their expansive criminal actions in just about every area etc....it's hard to look past all of that and not be cynical, to not think they don't have their fingers dipped into the drug trade as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Denerick wrote: »

The republican and loyalist armed campaigns and British Army and RUC killed far more than American nutjobs. Not even comparable.

Advertisement