Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

FAQ: Unlocking, Jailbreak, Cydia, etc - All discussion goes here

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,001 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Ok some help please,

I happen to know a disgruntled employee of a major phone network. He said he will sell me an iphone for say the 12 month contract price, and allow me to use my old address, details, bank account etc. He reckons I can get the iphone unlocked, jailbroken etc and then stop paying the contract. And presto, I'll have an iphone that I can use on RTG account.
    I'm not 100% convinced that this will work, and I reckon that the network will just lock the phone.

Anybody know if this is possible? It's not in Ireland by the way, so the whole breaking the contract isn't an issue for me

• Registered Users Posts: 32 ridelm

I would ask him where did he get the iPhone from, to make sure it's not a Phone that has been declared stolen/repaired.

If not, that should be fine with jailbreaking and unlocking it to all other carrier network using Pwnage Tool/Cydia/Blacksn0w.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,521 ✭✭✭savemejebus

If the average iphone contract price is €40 you're still talking €480. Isn't the hassle vs savings ratio kinda low on that "deal"?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

I hope to get an iphone 3G from o2 tomorrow which I plan on jailbreaking and unlocking to use on Meteor. My question is do I need to activate the iphone with an o2 sim before i jailbreak?

ridelm wrote: »
    I would ask him where did he get the iPhone from, to make sure it's not a Phone that has been declared stolen/repaired.

If not, that should be fine with jailbreaking and unlocking it to all other carrier network using Pwnage Tool/Cydia/Blacksn0w.
    He works in the shop. its brand new in the box etc.
    If the average iphone contract price is €40 you're still talking €480. Isn't the hassle vs savings ratio kinda low on that "deal"?
    What are you talking about?
    I obviously don't pay for the full year up front, pay month 1, close account.
    Iphone = 40euro (or local equiv etc)

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote: »
    He said he will sell me an iphone for say the 12 month contract price

Sorry, but is the '12 month contract price' not the cost of 12 months contract? That's what i was basing that on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

I hope to get an iphone 3G from o2 tomorrow which I plan on jailbreaking and unlocking to use on Meteor. My question is do I need to activate the iphone with an o2 sim before i jailbreak?
    yes, and every time (if) you restore to stock you'll will need that o2 sim card to reactivate, then u can do your jailbreak & unlock

No, it's the price of the phone when signing up for a 12 month contract, ie ridic cheap
    The contract is billed monthly, and my plan is to jailbreak, then cancel
    Is this possible

should be, though it could be a tethered jailbreak (has to be reapplied after each shut down) if you get one with a new boot loader.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

I managed to jailbreak and unlock my new iPhone 3G with Blackra1n very easily and the phone is running perfectly on Meteor now. :)

The only issue I'm having is playing youtube videos, I don’t seem to be able to. Is there a fix for this?

Thanks in advance, this thread and this apple form in general has helped me a lot in my decision to take the plunge and buy an Iphone. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 purplelady83

Guys I'm just wondering of you could give me some advice. I really want an iPhone but not so keen on paying the €600 odd proce tag and don't want to commit to a contract. I'm considering buying an unlocked version (I know someone who can them them abroad for me). My question is if I buy one of these will I run into difficulty updating software etc in the future.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 23,561 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

In the jailbreaking tutorial linked to in the first post for the 3Gs it gives a step by step guide on using PurpleRa1n to jailbreak.

but then in the unlocking tutorial it says "you must have used PwnageTool or RedSn0w to jailbreak."

So does it matter that the tutorials are advising two different things?

Or will that unlock tutorial work using PurpleRa1n to jailbreak?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

Frisbee wrote: »
    In the jailbreaking tutorial linked to in the first post for the 3Gs it gives a step by step guide on using PurpleRa1n to jailbreak.

but then in the unlocking tutorial it says "you must have used PwnageTool or RedSn0w to jailbreak."

So does it matter that the tutorials are advising two different things?

Or will that unlock tutorial work using PurpleRa1n to jailbreak?
    outdated now,
    its advisable use blackra1n now
    Blackra1n does it all for 3g and 3gs jailbreak and unlock, one stop shop !!
    Guys I'm just wondering of you could give me some advice. I really want an iPhone but not so keen on paying the €600 odd proce tag and don't want to commit to a contract. I'm considering buying an unlocked version (I know someone who can them them abroad for me). My question is if I buy one of these will I run into difficulty updating software etc in the future.

Thanks
    if its factory unlocked, you will have no problems updating ever..
    as of now, it doesnt matter if its not factory unlocked you can still update to latest and unlock again very easily

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Pininfarina

OK, have a 2G iPhone running 2.1 (yeah, I know). Want to upgrade to 3.1.2 and found this tutorial - http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=4255

Is there a PC version of this tutorial and is this the right one to follow?

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Ronan

I jailbreaked my new 3Gs using blackrain, but unfortunately it only supports a tethered jailbreak, which means every time I power the phone off I have to run blackrain again :( which is a bit of a pain. Anybody know a way around this or is it a case of just wait for a new version?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,791 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

If I buy an iPhone 3Gs can I jailbreak it using a Windows Vista System.

Sorry if this seems a stupid question but the link in the OP for jailbreaking states
    These are instructions on how to jailbreak your iPhone 3GS using PurpleRa1n for Mac OS X. Once you have completed this tutorial you will be able to unlock your iPhone 3GS using this tutorial.

Also will it come with a software version i.e 3.01 that is jailbreakable?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭acidburn51737

We got 3 iphOnes last week, 1 for my wife, for my cousin and for my mom. My mom got the 3gs and it came with firmware 3.1.2 so i jailbroke and unlocked it using blackra1n and blacksnow. Took me 3-5 mins tops. Just make sure you click the windows logo in geohot's page, you should have no worries

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭b0bsquish

Just unlocked my iphone with blackra1n, and unlocked with sn0w I can connect to three if 3g is turned off, but if 3g is turned on I get a message saying network restricted & get no coverage?

Anyone else had a similar problem (and know how to fix it?)

(Firmware: 3.1.2 Baseband:05.11.07)

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Ronan

We got 3 iphOnes last week, 1 for my wife, for my cousin and for my mom. My mom got the 3gs and it came with firmware 3.1.2 so i jailbroke and unlocked it using blackra1n and blacksnow. Took me 3-5 mins tops. Just make sure you click the windows logo in geohot's page, you should have no worries

Just to note the newer 3Gs iphones, build after week 40 of this year (The week is the 4th and 5th digit of your serial number) can only currently be done with a tethered jailbreak. So every time you reboot them you will have to run the jailbreak program again.

Ronan wrote: »
    Just to note the newer 3Gs iphones, build after week 40 of this year (The week is the 4th and 5th digit of your serial number) can only currently be done with a tethered jailbreak. So every time you reboot them you will have to run the jailbreak program again.

My mom's 3gs was a week 42 build so i had to run blackra1n after rebbot. But the other 2 were 3g's and were a pre week 40 build so i didnt have a problem there ^_^

• Advertisement

I bought a 3GS based on the fact that I thought I could jailbreak it easily but when I try it using Redsnow and Windows Vista I try to restore to the restore file supplied by Redsn0w but it tries to verify the restore with Apple and it won't let me restore.

Is there anthing I can do?

The week (as in the serial number ) is 45

Did you try blackra1n?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 piano09

I'm currently running on 3.0.1 firmware, in order to jailbreak do I need to upgrade to 3.1.2? if so, how do i do this!? cant find it on iclarified.com but probably looking in the wrong place :( thanks a million!

Did you try blackra1n?
    I just did. It seems to have worked. Phew, Thanks a million. :D

Sorry to be a pain and seem real dumb but does this mean if I ever need to reboot my iPhone or even if ti goes dead I need a my comp to restart it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭deep1

Quazzie wrote: »

Sorry to be a pain and seem real dumb but does this mean if I ever need to reboot my iPhone or even if ti goes dead I need a my comp to restart it?

Unfortunately yes, It's called Tethered jailbreak, at the moment the iphone over week 40 TB is the only solution.

@Quazzie
    Yes you do.

@piano09
    the tutorial is there in iclarified. Click tutorials, jailbreak, then you'll see a list of tuts there

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭Elessar

So wait, if you buy a new iPhone 3Gs, you have to re-unlock everytime you boot up?

You just have to connect your 3gs to a usb cable and rerun blackra1n, itll take about 30 seconds, you dont need to unlock again

Elessar wrote: »
    So wait, if you buy a new iPhone 3Gs, you have to re-unlock everytime you boot up?
    Yea. ITs actually ridiculously shít. I wouldn't mind it except if you turn off your phone and turn it back on again its basically bricked till you get ot a computer with Blackra1n on it. It would be ok if when you turned it back on you just had a normal iphone but when it turns back on its in DFU mode till Blackra1n is ran.

• Advertisement

I updated the software on my ipod touch, and he basterding thing wiped everything, all musicm apps everything

Advertisement