Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Your Favourite Restaurant in Sligo

• 02-04-2008 10:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭

Coach Lane wins for me... I've never actually tried anything off their main menu (I'm not big into steaks), but their specials are always excellent. The ostrich fillet in particular. Plus they sell a decent sparkling cab sav wine for around €25.. most restaurants seem to sell only €50 bottles and upwards, and usually list them incorrectly as champagnes. Good service too.

Monte Marte would come a close second, though the last time I went, I wasn't majorly impressed.

The restaurant at the back of Mountain View in Coolaney used to be superb.... it's a real pity it closed, but as it was nearly always empty, it's hardly surprising.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

I've been meaning to start this thread for weeks!

Davis' would have to be my favourite. It's lovely and the food is delicious.

Went for dinner in Ceasur's Saturday night. Was very nice! Not quite Davis' but it's in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

The Bistro
    Caesers

Gillie wrote: »
    The Bistro

Seriously? I don't think the bistro is half of what it's kicked up to be? The food isn't the nicest at all!

takola wrote: »
    Seriously? I don't think the bistro is half of what it's kicked up to be? The food isn't the nicest at all!

Um. In my opinion it is?!?!

I guess it's down to what your in to...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭tulipandthistle

I've been meaning to start this thread for weeks!

Davis' would have to be my favourite. It's lovely and the food is delicious.

Went for dinner in Ceasur's Saturday night. Was very nice! Not quite Davis' but it's in town.

Where are Davis' and Ceasur's and what kind of food do they serve? Always in the lookout to try new places.

Love this thread!!

We would have to say The Lemongrass in the Clarence Hotel at the moment. Food and service are fantastic and they are very child friendly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Where are Davis' and Ceasur's and what kind of food do they serve? Always in the lookout to try new places.
    Drumcliffe and Rockwood Parade respectively

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Trying Coach Lane this weekend, can't wait.

Bistro Bianconis is great for what it is, an excellent, reasonable, lively italian. Its not pretending it is something its not. The portions are generous, the menu is massive, a bit too big to be honest, but a lot of the dishes seem to be variations of each other which is ok. The wine is ok and again priced very well and the wood burning pizza ovens are utilised and the pizza's are lovely.

Its a little bit hard to get a decent breakfast/lunch on Sundays around 11am.. any suggestions?

I presume the pub grub in Sligo is good..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

Monte Marte +1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭nicolaonfire

Davis'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I ate in Ceasers twice. It was OK the first time, but so bad the second time, I refused to pay.

Lemongrass is excellent - forgot to list that one! I was in the one in Carrick a while back & was very impressed, so I was glad to see one open here.

The Bistro is a decent Italian alright. A wee bit expensive for what it is - I used to go to Cafe Bar Deli when it was open, for a cheaper option.

Overall, there's a fairly decent amount of good eateries in Sligo, for the size of the place anyway.

Wouldn't be mad on the pub grub in any of the places though. Left Bank used to be a good option.

As for breakfasts - Mardees used to do a decent fry up, but I think they've stopped doing breakfasts. The bakery on Castle Street's not a bad option if you don't mind all the OAPs!

On another note - I was in a French restaurant about 2 years ago outside the town - but my brain being mush - I can't remember either the name or even what town it was in. All I know is that it was a single storey timber clad building with large windows at the back. You'd to drive down a short sloped entrance to get to it & there's trees all round the building. The food was bloody good. Anyone know what I'm on about?

(Edit - It may have been in Dromhair)

• Advertisement

I ate in Ceasers twice. It was OK the first time, but so bad the second time, I refused to pay.

Lemongrass is excellent - forgot to list that one! I was in the one in Carrick a while back & was very impressed, so I was glad to see one open here.

The Bistro is a decent Italian alright. A wee bit expensive for what it is - I used to go to Cafe Bar Deli when it was open, for a cheaper option.

Overall, there's a fairly decent amount of good eateries in Sligo, for the size of the place anyway.

Wouldn't be mad on the pub grub in any of the places though. Left Bank used to be a good option.

As for breakfasts - Mardees used to do a decent fry up, but I think they've stopped doing breakfasts. The bakery on Castle Street's not a bad option if you don't mind all the OAPs!

On another note - I was in a French restaurant about 2 years ago outside the town - but my brain being mush - I can't remember either the name or even what town it was in. All I know is that it was a single storey timber clad building with large windows at the back. You'd to drive down a short sloped entrance to get to it & there's trees all round the building. The food was bloody good. Anyone know what I'm on about?

That's in Dromahair! Cuisto Perigord Beautiful setting! Gorgeous food! Great service! We managed to catch it before it closed down, then changed hands. It is now known as The Riverbank. We haven't eaten there yet, menu doesn't excite us too much for the price. Haven't heard too much good reviews about it either more because of heating issues and service though......

That's in Dromahair! Cuisto Perigord Beautiful setting! Gorgeous food! Great service! We managed to catch it before it closed down, then changed hands. It is now known as The Riverbank. We haven't eaten there yet, menu doesn't excite us too much for the price. Haven't heard too much good reviews about it either more because of heating issues and service though......

Ah - that's the one alright. The food there was fantastic... I only went once though as I find it impossible to enjoy a good meal without a bottle or two of red & it's was a bit far out for getting taxis.

Cafe Bar Deli was absolutely lovely! I loved it! I miss it now it's closed.

I may give the bistro another try, Seems I'm being a bit harsh!

Love this thread!!

We would have to say The Lemongrass in the Clarence Hotel at the moment. Food is and service is fantastic

Sorry for the vague reply Tulip, Work getting in the way of my posting! :mad:

As Gustavo said, Davis' is out in Drumcliffe. The website for it is here - Have a look! It's definitely worth the trip out! :)

Caesers is on Rockwood Parade. It's Italian. Website Here - Has a menu and everything so you can see what they serve etc. It wasn't nearly as nice as Davis' but it was nice. Service I found was excellent!

The lemongrass is next on my list! Sounds lovely! :)

As Gustavo said, Davis' is out in Drumcliffe. The website for it is here - Have a look! It's definitely worth the trip out! :)

Cheers for the link to Davis - I'm off to London via Knock at the weekend & had planned to stop in Yeats Tavern for grub on the way.. I didn't realise there was a restaurant there (as opposed to just pub grub). Much better! The menu looks good & very reasonably priced.

Sorry for the vague reply Tulip,

I'm the thistle part of tulipandthistle ;)
    Thanks for the link.
    Starbelgrade I just saw that Riverbank has a website, if you're interested...

Thanks for the link.

I'll wait till I hear a few good reviews first!!

Monte Marte +1

Forgot about that place!
    +1

Cafe Bar Deli was absolutely lovely! I loved it! I miss it now it's closed.

Went badly downhill when it was taken over by the left bank IMO!
    Loved it previous to this!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Coach Lane by a country mile..!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

As Nessa from "Gavin & Stacey" would say:

"I've said it before, I'll say it again" - Classic India

• Advertisement

Thanks for the link.

Apologies.. You'll have to change your avatar depending on who's behind the screen in future! :D (And I'm too lazy to type the full username! :D)
    Cheers for the link to Davis - I'm off to London via Knock at the weekend & had planned to stop in Yeats Tavern for grub on the way.. I didn't realise there was a restaurant there (as opposed to just pub grub). Much better! The menu looks good & very reasonably priced.

No bother. I didn't realise there was a restaurant there either to begin with. It's lovely though, Really!

Now find that book for me! :D
    Gillie wrote:
    Went badly downhill when it was taken over by the left bank IMO!
    Loved it previous to this!

I can't remember the last time I was there. Maybe November 2006? I'm not sure who owned it then but it was lovely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Dabko

monte marte is the biz. well worth a visit. Coach lane is a fine place too.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭garth-marenghi

nice unhealthy breakfast in the Rooftop on wine street for 7euro always does it for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

I'd say Coach Lane, closely followed by the Bistro with Classic India not far behind.

I've never been to Monte Marte though, I'm going to try it soon though hopefully. There was one night we tried to book it but it was completely booked out for the night we wanted to go there. What would anybody that has eaten there recommend btw?

I'd say Coach Lane, closely followed by the Bistro with Classic India not far behind.

I've never been to Monte Marte though, I'm going to try it soon though hopefully. There was one night we tried to book it but it was completely booked out for the night we wanted to go there. What would anybody that has eaten there recommend btw?

The Lobster is excellent & they usually have in season specials - I'd go for them normally. It's almost always booked out at the weekends unless you book well in advance - it's even busy most days midweek. The early bird special's worth a look too - same food, pay less... great value!

The Lobster is excellent & they usually have in season specials - I'd go for them normally. It's almost always booked out at the weekends unless you book well in advance - it's even busy most days midweek. The early bird special's worth a look too - same food, pay less... great value!

Lobster?:eek:
    You are quite the conundrum!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭sligobhoy67

you cant go wrong with Davis' - its not flash or fancy - certainly not first, second or third date material, but its solid and quality - just what you need on a Sunday I reckon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

basquille wrote: »
    Coach Lane by a country mile..!

+1

and then trailing in after it I would have to say the Bistro

Gillie wrote: »
    Lobster?:eek:
    You are quite the conundrum!

Why do you say that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

Why do you say that?

Obviously cause you can rearrange the letters to make another word :)

Advertisement