Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would an unpaid iOS development internship help?

• 07-09-2014 2:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi guys,

So recently I've found myself out of a job but before that happened I was thinking that I wanted to dust off my old iOS development skills from college and switch career. Obviously being unemployed would make this a great time to do so so I am currently relearning Objective-C.

My main issue is that I don't have any commercial experience, just 3 simple apps that I created 2 years ago that I am updating and since then I've been working as a support engineer (no programming).

The best way to learn would be with an actual job but everywhere is calling for people with experience. I'm applying to these anyway in the hopes that I find somewhere who wants to help train a new developer but if I keep getting my applications rejected, should I write back to then asking would they be interested in offering me an internship so that I can gain some experience to secure a later job?

Helpful thoughts and comments will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    -LJ

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 BillUnder

It seems like a good idea. Maybe take part in the JobBridge programme. Personally I don't like the idea of working for free but employers love it. Companies won't even pay computer science graduates without commercial experience so you could be competing with them on the JobBridge programme.

They probably won't teach you very much and you will probably have to continue learning by yourself. They will also probably expect you to contribute to the company so you could offer to do testing which developers hate doing and then gradually take on more development work.

From my personal experience I learned far more developing my own apps than working for a company but most companies have no time for personal apps, only commercial experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 LearningJunkie

Thanks BillUnder,

I 'm learning a huge amount by myself at the moment so I just need to come up with more ideas for apps to showcase my skills now.

I looked at jobbridge just to see is there anything but there isn't at the moment. I'm having better luck targeting startup companies at the moment so hopefully something good can come out of my efforts soon.

Cheers,
    LJ

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭dangerousdavem

I was in a similar position to you a few years ago. I only had support experience and the only coding experience I had was from college. I did a job bridge internship but after 6 months it became evident that they had no interest in taking me on full time. So what I did was I approached start up companies myself and offered to work for them for 3 months unpaid as long as my expenses were covered with a view to being made permanent after 3 months. I had plenty of companies wanting to take me up on this so i picked one and I'm still here two years later with a fully paid job! Best of luck in your search

• Registered Users Posts: 15 LearningJunkie

Thanks Dangerousdavem,

I'm keeping an eye out for jobbridge schemes at the moment but there isn't much for me.

The startup approach however is interesting so I'll continue with that.

Thanks,
    LJ

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 82 ✭✭Dub_Steve

There are plenty of startups crying out for mobile developers. Check out meetup for some of the events

• Advertisement
Advertisement