Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Australian mines

• 11-10-2014 12:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭

Plumber by trade... Headin to Australia in a few weeks.. Planing to go into the mines.. Seen a website on the net, australian mines sayin they have a spot there but have to pay them money... Are these websites jokes or what

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭AngeGal

Plumber by trade... Headin to Australia in a few weeks.. Planing to go into the mines.. Seen a website on the net, australian mines sayin they have a spot there but have to pay them money... Are these websites jokes or what

Any website that wants money for a job is almost certainly a fraud. If they were legitimate recruiters the hiring company would be paying not you. Don't give them money/personal details.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭aido79

Sounds like a pipe dream to me:) Those websites will almost definitely not get you a job on a mine. I'm not sure how much you have looked into this but I have never seen a plumber on a mine here or even seen a job advertised for a plumber on a mine. The closest thing would be a pipe fitter. Have you looked into getting your trade recognised and getting your plumbing licence? There are thousands of people here trying to get jobs in the mines here and there are fewer jobs all the time so don't expect to get off the plane and straight onto a plane to a mine. What visa are you coming over on?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

If you want to be taken seriously best start with a serious visa.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Man on Fire

Sorry lads I ment to say pipe fitter..
    I'm applyin for the 12month working visa 417 I think... I'm 30 so I need to get it soon cause if you go over 31 you can't get that visa... To be honest I heard the mines will be hard to get into so I'm just tryin to figure out where in Australia will be good to start off in, only experienced really in construction, would Sydney be a good place to get up and running job wise, mite start of labouring and then get me plumbing tools shipped over.. I only defused to do oz last week so I'm just tryin to plan it now

I'm applyin for the 12month working visa 417 I think... I'm 30 so I need to get it soon cause if you go over 31 you can't get that visa... To be honest I heard the mines will be hard to get into so I'm just tryin to figure out where in Australia will be good to start off in, only experienced really in construction, would Sydney be a good place to get up and running job wise, mite start of labouring and then get me plumbing tools shipped over.. I only defused to do oz last week so I'm just tryin to plan it now

Have a look on seek.com.au to see where the most jobs are. If you know someone over here who is a plumber it would be a massive help as it is usually about who you know to get on alot of the big jobs ( including the mines). Make sure your cv is in the correct format for Australia and it can be a good idea to spend a few dollars and get it professionally written especially if you haven't been used to doing cv's before. When you first arrive be you need to be willing to do any job as companies usually ask for a licence before hiring plumbers. In regards to the mines, it is hard to get in and some people can't hack it when they do get there. Working in 40°c+ heat for 10 hours a day with very friendly flies following you around all day isn't everyone's cup of tea. Most mines are in very remote locations so if you don't think you can handle not seeing a town for 4 weeks at a time it may not be for you either.
    Try to enjoy the experience of being in Australia as well. Aussies are becoming less keen on people ( especially the Irish) who are just coming here to make some money and then leave as soon as they've got what they wanted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 niterain84

That visa you are talking about is the 417 Working Holiday Visa. The main purpose of it is a holiday and you can work to support that.

With this visa you can only work for each employer for maximum of 6 months.

Mines are not going to hire and train soneone who can only 6 months for them. Also you would need to get your plumbing qualifications recognised by the australia.

Honestly you would be better off forgetting about getting into the mines. Theres plenty of work in construction. Try it for a while. If you decide you like Australia and want to stay then you could look into getting a more suitable visa.

Just dont believe the pub talk about getting into the mines. People arent just walking off the plane from ireland into mining jobs. try to have realistic expectations.

good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Man on Fire

niterain84 wrote: »
    That visa you are talking about is the 417 Working Holiday Visa. The main purpose of it is a holiday and you can work to support that.

With this visa you can only work for each employer for maximum of 6 months.

Mines are not going to hire and train soneone who can only 6 months for them. Also you would need to get your plumbing qualifications recognised by the australia.

Honestly you would be better off forgetting about getting into the mines. Theres plenty of work in construction. Try it for a while. If you decide you like Australia and want to stay then you could look into getting a more suitable visa.

Just dont believe the pub talk about getting into the mines. People arent just walking off the plane from ireland into mining jobs. try to have realistic expectations.

good luck

Yea I think I will do that...Il leave me tools at home for awhile... To be honest I'm just goin away for a years break and see what happens... Is there any place that is best to start off... Is a hostel suitable to stay in for a few weeks till I get up and running...

Yea I think I will do that...Il leave me tools at home for awhile... To be honest I'm just goin away for a years break and see what happens... Is there any place that is best to start off... Is a hostel suitable to stay in for a few weeks till I get up and running...

Living in a hostel is a personal choice. Some people like it others hate it. There's a skills shortage in Australia not a labour shortage so until you get your plumbing licence you are part of the labour shortage not the skills shortage.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭d.pop

3 years ago when things were very busy you might have got into the mines but unlikely even then on a whv, can cost >$10 to mobilise somebody to work remote. 3 years on with little expansion work and the big mining companies investing inwards on production there is very little chance.
    There is however a big upturn in housing construction in WA instead. Maybe try for some residential or commercial build work instead but as another poster said people need tradesmen not labour, you might try getting working as a TA (trades assistant) a good plumber foreman will soon see you have skills...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

Don't pay a website to find you a job.

Working in the mines on a 417 is near impossible. I was lucky 3.5 years ago and somehow got a start with a company desperate for numbers as they just secured a project. Even when I switched to a more permanent visa I was on a Bridging Visa A (BVA) which is unrestricted for work. I think its a rolling 3 month visa and even with that I had some issues going onto another project as the client wasn't satisfied I could stay for longer than 6 months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭d.pop

[quote=, can cost >$10 to mobilise somebody to work remote.[/quote]
    Correction >$10,000 that should read.

Advertisement