Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sleepover question

• 10-01-2015 8:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭

I'm just looking for other peoples opinions on this...
    My daughter is 14 and has had a boyfriend for the past 4 months, he lives about 20 minutes away so comes in here to see her as long as I'm at home ( so no free house). She visits him also if his mother is there, and we make sure to stay in contact so no wool is pulled over our eyes!

She visited him today and there a few minutes ago I got a text from her saying that the boyfriend had asked her to a match in the morning and could she stay over, that the mother is there and there won't be 'any messing' as he will be in bed early. Now my instant reaction is simply 'no', that she is too young etc. My friend thinks I'm wrong and if the mother is there etc what is the problem.
    Any thoughts??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

How well do you know his mother? Can you pick up the phone and talk to her? That is what I would like to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady

echo beach wrote: »
    How well do you know his mother? Can you pick up the phone and talk to her? That is what I would like to do.

I'd know her only through the boy himself, could pick up the phone no problem and talk/ask questions but I just don't know whether I want to start this at all, as I know it could then become a regular thing if you get me?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

I really think 14 is young to be staying at a boyfriends house.
    Just my opinion
    Go with your gut op, and don't feel pressured into agreeing.
    I would talk to other mother and say what yiu feel. Once you let Her stay the first time it becomes routine

Lisha wrote: »
    I really think 14 is young to be staying at a boyfriends house.
    Just my opinion
    Go with your gut op, and don't feel pressured into agreeing.
    I would talk to other mother and say what yiu feel. Once you let Her stay the first time it becomes routine

I agree, I think it's nearly asking for trouble or somewhat encouraging the whole relationship further than necessary. I've said no and that I would bring her in tomorrow morning if she wants to go to the match..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

I think now m'lady that teenage relationships are treated as adult type relationships far too quickly and readily by people. At that age I would prefer a dating type relationship not a forever couple type relationships .

• Advertisement

Lisha wrote: »
    I think now m'lady that teenage relationships are treated as adult type relationships far too quickly and readily by people. At that age I would prefer a dating type relationship not a forever couple type relationships .

Totally agree with you. It's all 'love you' and 'forever', there doesn't seem to be any sense of fun in it anymore, just serious movie type stuff!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭_Jumper_

No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭seventeen sheep

A no followed by a hell no.

You do realise they're counting on sneaking into the same room when the parents are asleep? Of course, not for sex. But ... If it happens ...

They are fourteen. Your child should be at home with you. You should be the responsible parent here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭whupdedo

I'm not a parent so maybe my opinion will be disregarded

But

She's 14, get your behind into your car and collect her, your not meant to be her friend so put the foot down before this becomes something you can't stop, if it happens once it will set a precedence for other similar overnight stays

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭wdmfapq4zs83hv

Hell no! At 14 she should not be staying anywhere least of all with a boyfriend! Big fat no!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Guys are only thinking 1 thing.

Take that as a no, this is from a guy;)

If it's girl's then no prob but that is a bad idea.

Thanks for all the replies, like I've said I had made my decision and it was a no, I agree with everyone that's replied so far,I just wanted to ask people their opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Good God NO!!! 14 and staying over at a boyfriend's house? Hell no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

If she wants to go to the match that badly, she can get up 20mins earlier in the morning!

I'd say they were well proud of themselves thinking of that one as an excuse to stay :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

If she wants to go to the match that badly, she can get up 20mins earlier in the morning!

I'd say they were well proud of themselves thinking of that one as an excuse to stay :)

Apologies, Just realized this happened two days ago..

Advertisement