Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Local Radio

• 07-10-2012 8:36pm

I made the title of the thread "Local Radio" because the last thread title had the name of our local radio station.I find it a pity that the thread was closed because of some bad comments.I read the radio section section a lot,and find Mega Threads on dedicated to many presenters,the like of Joe Duffy,Marty Whelan,Ray Darcy,Ryan Tubridy etc.The criticism they get,can at times be very very harsh.Those threads are allowed continue.I find the Radio forum mainly caters for the bigger stations,and those in Dublin,which makes sense because of population.I am in Tipperary,and would like to comment on what I listen to,and not have that option,because some posters are harsh,I cant.I hope this post is not deleted or closed,and would get some replies as to how others think.I aint looking to be banned either:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭blackbird99

Aaron Burchael back on the air, well kind of.
    He has an online station set up http://www.tippmornings.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭AlarmBelle

I made the title of the thread "Local Radio" because the last thread title had the name of our local radio station.I find it a pity that the thread was closed because of some bad comments.I read the radio section section a lot,and find Mega Threads on dedicated to many presenters,the like of Joe Duffy,Marty Whelan,Ray Darcy,Ryan Tubridy etc.The criticism they get,can at times be very very harsh.Those threads are allowed continue.I find the Radio forum mainly caters for the bigger stations,and those in Dublin,which makes sense because of population.I am in Tipperary,and would like to comment on what I listen to,and not have that option,because some posters are harsh,I cant.I hope this post is not deleted or closed,and would get some replies as to how others think.I aint looking to be banned either:D
    create a blog for your comment. you will not be allowed give your opinion here so why comment. t

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

AlarmBelle wrote: »
    create a blog for your comment. you will not be allowed give your opinion here so why comment. t

Really? :rolleyes: Of course you're allowed to give your opinion here! Boards is a very open site that encourages good discussions based on people's opinions!

lockie1983 wrote: »
    Really? :rolleyes: Of course you're allowed to give your opinion here! Boards is a very open site that encourages good discussions based on people's opinions!
    then why was theother thread closed. it said no more than is said about duffy all the time. :rolleyes:
    Boards is a very open site that encourages good discussions based on people's opinions!
    only if they agree with the mods opinions. boards acknowledges there is no free speech here
    Acually i am looking at creating such a blog and all will have free access to it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭DT100

He has an online station set up http://www.tippmornings.com/[/QUOTE]

Can you just start an online station if you want? But how can money be made if you want to make a living from it? I agree with other posters about the comments about national presenters in the radio section.I wonder at times why the posts are not deleted,or how the threads are not closed.

• Advertisement

then why was theother thread closed. it said no more than is said about duffy all the time. :rolleyes:
    only if they agree with the mods opinions. boards acknowledges there is no free speech here
    Acually i am looking at creating such a blog and all will have free access to it

Looking forward to the blog,should you get around to it.

DT100 wrote: »
    Looking forward to the blog,should you get around to it.
    ok but it will not be just me commenting. it will be open for all to comment and I will not be running it as such. Anyone can set up a blog easily

In relation to setting up online radio ,would it not be just the same as streaming anything.? And in relation to your point re the other rte preenter threads my point is there was nothing in the closed one here that is not in the rte one and worse. Either both be allowed or neither

ok but it will not be just me commenting. it will be open for all to comment and I will not be running it as such. Anyone can set up a blog easily

In relation to setting up online radio ,would it not be just the same as streaming anything.? And in relation to your point re the other rte preenter threads my point is there was nothing in the closed one here that is not in the rte one and worse. Either both be allowed or neither

I agree....Same rules should apply to all threads

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Ah, I see winsumlusum has returned! And after you'd told me you were finished with this forum forever. How wonderful.

The other thread was closed because of your posting behaviour. I explained that to you after your final post with your old account.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056763088

As such, I'm banning you from posting in this new thread. Your approach to the discussion of local radio is inappropriate, and is not welcome on this forum.
    I agree....Same rules should apply to all threads

Personal abuse is not tolerated anywhere on this site. An excessive amount of it was posted in the last thread in a short period of time, hence it being closed.
    I read the radio section section a lot,and find Mega Threads on dedicated to many presenters,the like of Joe Duffy,Marty Whelan,Ray Darcy,Ryan Tubridy etc.The criticism they get,can at times be very very harsh.Those threads are allowed continue.

I hope this post is not deleted or closed,and would get some replies as to how others think.I aint looking to be banned either:D

This isn't the Radio forum. It's a Regional forum, and is read by local people in Tipperary, Limerick, Waterford, Kilkenny and elsewhere. It's not fair for local radio presenters to have vitriolic abuse levelled at them on a local forum. It's likely that they'll read it themselves, or a friend or relative will see it. Would you like to your family to see you described as "neurotic, so full of himself, one saddo, cannot even talk properly, pathetic, shYte, an ameteur (sic), another idiot, another ameteur radio guy and pro saddo"?

I doubt it.

Criticise their work, the shows, the jingles, whatever. Just don't resort to the kind of posts that got the last thread closed and we'll all be happy. Simple, yes?

I am sure a fair percentage of national presenters read the radio forum.Is what is said fair on their families?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I am sure a fair percentage of national presenters read the radio forum.Is what is said fair on their families?

I genuinely have no idea! It's not a forum I read myself.

We've had threads in the Limerick forum (both before and after I started modding) about 95fm and Spin Southwest though. Plenty of hate for both, but without the sustained level of personal abuse that was thrown at the Tipp FM presenters by one poster in the previous thread.

Ah, I see winsumlusum has returned! And after you'd told me you were finished with this forum forever. How wonderful.
    ???

I wonder how long it will last? It cant be making him a wage.Its probably great now at the start,but is it sustainable?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭chris2008x

Does anybody here remember the Say No To Drugs campaign TippFm run in the early 90s the car stickers (had loads of them) and the boring story ads they would play, one about two girls picking magic mushrooms another about heroin i think. Seen an old 87 Toyota Corrolla today with one the stickers on it and remembered it.

chris2008x wrote: »
    Does anybody here remember the Say No To Drugs campaign TippFm run in the early 90s the car stickers (had loads of them) and the boring story ads they would play, one about two girls picking magic mushrooms another about heroin i think. Seen an old 87 Toyota Corrolla today with one the stickers on it and remembered it.

I remember that alright.It must be fairly tight there now.The same person was on breakfast from 6 to 10,and on again from 4.30pm to 7pm.Surely they must have someone who could have covered one of those shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Jim Bowen

Every time I turn it on these days, the girl from the Breakfast Show is on air. Thy must be down past the bear bones.

Do they record the 6am to 7 am part I wonder.On Monday I was listening,not one time check from 6to7am,and the voice sounded fresher than it was after 7?..or is it my ears:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

What really annoys me about tipp fm is their 'local' stance. I was sitting on the inner relief road in Clonmel last Friday in an awful traffic jam and 5 minutes before Tipp FM located on the same road by the way were telling us about traffic in Limerick and Cork. WTF like. Look out the window.....Also their sports coverage is a joke. The day after a big hurling match you'll be hearing about some non story from the ENGLISH Premier League.....

You are bang on about the sports coverage. I cannot understand why English football gets a higher billing over a senior club game in the county. You can get English football results anywhere, you will only be able to get a club result in one place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

that would more than likely because the usual news on the hour on tippfm is from Ireland Radio News whcih is syndicated to many local stations around the country. Tippfm has its own dedicated news on some hours.

speaking of which, in the old thread i gave off about the same old sound effects (they seem to possess one phasing device from 1994) in all their ads and station idents.

well, yesterday there was i driving along and i thought i'd give the half five news/local news/weather/sports/traffic a go. between each segment was and ad (traffic, brought to you by...) done with the same use of the phaser, a bit of echo, and all by the same v/o guy. It sounds awful cheap.

Example of one that sounds not cheap, and was as cheap as you can get - the old Ray Foley one on today fm ("The Ray Foley Show on Today FM") read out, cheerfully, by a woman. In fact, a lot of Today FM's show idents are like that.

Less is more. Its still like the ILAC Centre 1983.

As for the presenter of the go home show, her american styleee accent really really grates.

• Advertisement

It seems to have moved on a bit since that link,with sponsorship and more hours of music,granted a lot of auto DJ.What is the situation with royalties regarding music on such stations?

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭PacMan

Dont forget STGHR-FM or hospital radio as its often called. Some great music. Often listen to it on my way to work. All volunteers and sounds good.

As for all - volunteers on a radio station, dont forget Tipp Mid west, the community station from Tipp town and Cashel. Some great shows on that station also.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭yes chance

>snip<

MOD POST: A claim like you have just made has to have a link to a reputable source, otherwise it leaves both yourself and Boards open to potential actions.

>snip<

MOD POST: A claim like you have just made has to have a link to a reputable source, otherwise it leaves both yourself and Boards open to potential actions.

PacMan wrote: »
    Thanks for that info.
    you're welcome. if it was anyone else it would have been on all news bulletins

yes chance wrote: »
    you're welcome. if it was anyone else it would have been on all news bulletins

Now I am wondering what was deleted:D

Paddy Finnucane gone from Tipp FM at end of month according to a talk hurling website. End of an era.

Jim Bowen wrote: »
    Paddy Finnucane gone from Tipp FM at end of month according to a talk hurling website. End of an era.
    has he retired?

I heard an advert for a sports presenter a couple of weeks ago,so maybe he is retiring.

• Advertisement

Advertisement