Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Galway GAA discussion thread

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

MfMan wrote: »
    What odds a double-header in Croker if it's Tipp v the Dubs?

I wouldn't be surprised if Clare/Cork and Limerick/Dublin was to be a double header in Thurles. I'd imagine option 1 for Galway Kilkenny would be Limerick

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

jossnjuice wrote: »
    Any hinters on where the league Semis are going to be held??

Both fixed for Apr 21st.

Loughrea are due to Play Liam Mellowes to kick off the senior Championship that weekend, wonder will they put it back a week?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Hello all

Been reported down here that Stephen Page of the Tommy Larkins club has joined up with the Kerry hurlers,paper said he has been on the Galway U21 panel for the past few years and is under age again this year but is working in Kerry atm

Whats he like lads? plays in the forwards so should be a boost for us ahead of the Christy Ring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭InchicoreDude

I'm done with this thread. I started with Hoganstand, then gaaboard, then boards.ie. They all descend into muck after a while. Better off discussing GAA with people at the games anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

I'm done with this thread. I started with Hoganstand, then gaaboard, then boards.ie. They all descend into muck after a while. Better off discussing GAA with people at the games anyway!

Oh...kay...

You did notice that the one and only person stirring the pot has been banned, right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

Syferus wrote: »
    Oh...kay...

You did notice that the one and only person stirring the pot has been banned, right?

I guess its me you are referring to. Stirring nothing at all. Here to talk GAA. Are you?

Correction: nope, not banned. Just given the sally rod.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

Under 21 team for tomorrow:

1 Thomas Healy,
    2 Liam Silke,
    3 James Shaughnessy,
    4 Éoin Walsh,
    5 Mark Loughnane,
    6 Daithi Burke,
    7 Paul Varley,
    8 Fiontán Ó Curraoin,
    9 Damien Comer,
    10 Cathal Mulryan,
    11 Séan Moran,
    12 Shane Maughan,
    13 Shane Walsh,
    14 Adrian Varley,
    15 Ian Burke,

16 James Healy, 17 Gearóid Canavan, 18 David Cunnane, 19 Philip Ezergailis, 20 Éanna Ó hÉochaidh, 21 Matthew Heskin, 22 Conor Rabbitte, 23 Padraig Cunningham, 24 Garry Kelly

A few interesting changes there. He seems to have gone for a lot of big men this time out. Possibly as a result of the second half against Mayo.
    Ezergailis dropped while Eoin Walsh moved to corner back and Daithi Burke coming in to centre back, could be a good move as Walsh has been mostly solid while Ezergailis has been caught a few times and Daithi Burke always has potential to have a massive game.
    Most interesting though I think is Shane Maughan into the half forward line. Not the most mobile of players but he's a tank, positioning is quite good and he's accurate. Small bit of a risk but could pay off against a big Roscommon team.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭cat in the sack

thats not Daithi Burke that plays the hurling to is it ?

It is, he's part of the Corofin team.

Shame really that he prefers the football, as he was an average enough footballer when I saw him for Corofin while he had the potential to be a star in the hurling.

• Advertisement

Under 21 team for tomorrow:

1 Thomas Healy,
    2 Liam Silke,
    3 James Shaughnessy,
    4 Éoin Walsh,
    5 Mark Loughnane,
    6 Daithi Burke,
    7 Paul Varley,
    8 Fiontán Ó Curraoin,
    9 Damien Comer,
    10 Cathal Mulryan,
    11 Séan Moran,
    12 Shane Maughan,
    13 Shane Walsh,
    14 Adrian Varley,
    15 Ian Burke,

16 James Healy, 17 Gearóid Canavan, 18 David Cunnane, 19 Philip Ezergailis, 20 Éanna Ó hÉochaidh, 21 Matthew Heskin, 22 Conor Rabbitte, 23 Padraig Cunningham, 24 Garry Kelly

A few interesting changes there. He seems to have gone for a lot of big men this time out. Possibly as a result of the second half against Mayo.
    Ezergailis dropped while Eoin Walsh moved to corner back and Daithi Burke coming in to centre back, could be a good move as Walsh has been mostly solid while Ezergailis has been caught a few times and Daithi Burke always has potential to have a massive game.
    Most interesting though I think is Shane Maughan into the half forward line. Not the most mobile of players but he's a tank, positioning is quite good and he's accurate. Small bit of a risk but could pay off against a big Roscommon team.

Big Roscommon team? Our team is plenty of things but we're not a bigger side than Galway by any stretch of the imagination. Up front we're more based around pace and movement than power, even if Colin Compton is a big lad he's more athletic than a prototypical target man. It's Galway that's trying to force the physicality with their line-up, to be honest .

Weather's beautiful right now so we could be in for a fantastic game. Remember our minors play in the de facto Connacht minor league final at 4:15pm so get in early if you can, it could well be a preview of July's Connacht final.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭cat in the sack

yes i have seen him at first hand at underage hurling with Galway fine centre back or he can play at an poistion i'd say. whats the story with him
    and A.Cunningham do they not get on shame fine hurler.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,291 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

It is. He plays football for Corofin and hurling for Turloughmore. Wouldn't say he's an average footballer though. He's actually pretty good. A great athlete. Don't know if he prefers one over the other but I do think his potential is higher in hurling. He gave some brilliant displays for Turloughmore in the county championship last year at centre-back. A problem position for Galway as well so I think many hoped he would eventually fill it. Not that many dual clubs in Galway so usually there is not much fighting between the footballers and hurlers over the same player. Ultimately it's up to the lad himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭nootroc

Saturday April 20th, 2013
    2 00 PM

CADBURYS GAA FOOTBALL ALL IRELAND U21 CHAMPIONSHIP 2013 SEMI FINAL

Galwayvs.Kildare

O Connor Park, Tullamore
    Referee: TBC
    Extratime playable

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭nootroc

Where's the best place to park in Tullamore on Saturday? I'll be coming from the Portlaoise side, probably with a big Kildare crowd coming in that way as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭wonder88

I see that the county board are looking for planning premission to put floodlights into Pearse Stadium. It is certain that some of the residents will be against this, but since the sportgrounds has lights I see no reason premission would be refused. Crowds have been poor at most Galway games in recent times, so games under lights might attract more spectators. However this alone will not be enough to increase crowds at gaa games in Salthill (or elsewhere) as there are a lot of social/cultural and economic factors that have contributed to the decline in numbers going to games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

I really think Galway should have redeveloped Tuam stadium instead. It's the home of Galway football with a much better atmosphere than Pearse stadium.

I really think Galway should have redeveloped Tuam stadium instead. It's the home of Galway football with a much better atmosphere than Pearse stadium.

It's always been planned but has been stuck in development hell, essentially once the recession hit. Tuam is a great accessible spot for a match to boot for neighbouring counties - even though I'd be less than one hour twenty from Pearse the shivers go down the spine at the thought of getting caught in a log-jam on those winding little roads once you hit the Salthill area of the city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Best of luck to the U-21's tomorrow against Kildare. Would be brilliant to see them get to another final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

1. Colm Callanan
    2. Feargal Moore
    3. Kevin Hynes
    4. Niall Donoghue
    5. Johnny Coen
    6. David Collins
    7. Aidan Harte
    8. Iarlaith Tannian
    9. Joseph Cooney
    10. Cyril Donnelan
    11. Conor Cooney
    12. David Burke
    13. Davy Glennon
    14. Joe Canning
    15. Damien Hayes
    Team for Sunday. Would like to know what ye make of the defence? And also of Joseph Cooneys selection in midfield? A ploy? Will David Burke go back there? I had read here that many thought Cooney was not very fleet of foot, and I would think if that's the case he'll get roasted in midfield.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭basillarkin

I would have serious resevations about the that midfield, total lack of pace imo, could get badly exposed. Glennon probably going the best of the Galway forwards, Iv'e watched Portumna recently and they seem back to their best, however it was 3 of the non county players that stood out for them, Lynch at centre back, Chunky at centre forward and the young corner forward who's name escapes me.

Kilkenny are 4/6 Galway available 6/4. It will be interesting where they deploy Canning because if that midfield can't win ball and feed him, it could well be a long day for Galway. IMO Hynes wasn't really tested at FB at all last year while I would raise serious questions about Collins ability to do the job at CB. Why bring Kavanagh back into the panel if you ain't going to use him? Is he injured? Harte getting another go this time at half back, should make for an interesting day of hurling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Delighted to see Harte in there tbh. He's had a very good league

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭AngeGal

Great win! From listening to the radio, it sounds like Shane Walsh gave an outstanding display.

Mulryan or Walsh were my MotM. Varley is one hell of a playmaker and Ian Burke is every bit as deadly as Walsh when he gets the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,291 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Syferus wrote: »
    Mulryan or Walsh were my MotM. Varley is one hell of a playmaker and Ian Burke is every bit as deadly as Walsh when he gets the ball.

Varley doesn't get much attention alright. He doesn't tend to score that much but he's nearly always out in front of his man and is great and winning possession and bringing the other forwards into play.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭24yearslater

Great win for the u21s, but was most heartening was the style in which we played. It's been quite a while since we've seen that sort of skill from a bunch of galway footballers. You would be concerned thou about their size, and the impact that may have on their ability to step up to senior. That's for another day thou. The sheer skill level of the forwards in particular was breathtaking, with each one of them making a strong case for a motm award. The fullback shaughnessy is a fine player too, whilst its easy to see what all the fuss about Daithi Burke is all about. It has to be mentioned thou that Kildare were shocking - I'd describe them as a bunch of rugby league wannabes trying to play Gaelic football. Their inability to shoot or make basic forwards decisions was unbelievable, and it seemed to me that they only spent the bare minimum of time training at the skills of football, with the rest of the time in the gym. Their supporters were going daft all around me. Speaking of supporters, it would be good of we got a good few more people to get up off their arses & get out to support them for the final - it's the least they deserve.

Hope Fergal Moore is alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭AngeGal

Hope Fergal Moore is alright.

Yeah, it puts the hurling in perspective anyway. Terrible to see.

AngeGal wrote: »
    Yeah, it puts the hurling in perspective anyway. Terrible to see.

Looks very bad. Thank god Cathal isn't commentating on this game, would be awful for him trying to do it all the while worrying about his brother.

• Advertisement

Is Kileen the lad that was sent off against Tipp in the Minor last year? Has he played much in the league?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement