Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

iPhone 5s update via iTunes - Help.

• 14-01-2015 3:07am
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭

It's either not come up or i'm not searching the right key words to find info on this topic.

I downloaded the iOS update (8.1.2) for the iPhone 5s via iTunes. I selected the "Download Only" option as the phone is not mine but i do all the updates, etc via my computer.

I live in the sticks. Interweb speeds are brutal. I'm talking slower than dial up on bad days. The 1.5gb update took 7 hours to download. That should give you an idea.

I set it to download and went away for a while. Came back, the update was showing as finished downloading so i plugged the phone in. I selected update in the phone menu. I got "Itunes is checking for updates" then a pop up window asking did i want to "Download", "Download and Update", or "Cancel".

I've already downloaded the update, but it wants me to do it again. On previous downloads i always selected download and update and left it running, while keeping an eye on it. Just today it took too long and i was not waiting around all day.

How do i update the phone, where did the download go, and do i really have to download and update again.

One of the drawbacks about where i live, other than the slow speeds, is the low data allowance. Another 1.5gb, and 7 hours is not something i really want to go through.

Any help, advice or guidance appreciated.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Search uour computer for .ipsw and you might find it. If not, there are several places online that are sharing 8.1.2 for the 5S and then you just have to ctrl-click (I think it's ctrl anyway) update and manually choose the IPSW.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Genius.

Found it. Now i'm computer illiterate so can you walk me through the process of how to get that onto my phone? It's hardly as simply as cut and paste. :o
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Are you on windows or mac?

Sorry my bad.

Windows 8.1

Done a check on Google.

It says to:
    1. Open iTunes
    2. Connect phone
    3. Go to summary
    4. Hold shift and click update
    5. Navigate to file
    6. Select it/open it
    7. It'll check apple and then update

I done all the above and i got "cannot update as firmware is incompatible" notice. The file is the .ipsw, and it's the 8.1.2 update and the time stamp is when it finished. Not sure what to do now.

The phone is working fine and will continue to do so, just the "1" over the settings icon is a pain (i know that's a small issue, but why make this so bloody hard?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Cathalog

Can you post the exact filename of the .ipsw file? That will let me identify what device the file is compatible with.

Beware! Copy that .ipsw file and put it anywhere else on your PC for safekeeping. That file was randomly deleted on me before (possibly by iTunes).

Cathalog wrote: »
    Can you post the exact filename of the .ipsw file? That will let me identify what device the file is compatible with.
    iphone5,4_8.1.2_12B440_Restore.ipsw
    Beware! Copy that .ipsw file and put it anywhere else on your PC for safekeeping.
    Done. Thanks.

Cass wrote: »
    iphone5,4_8.1.2_12B440_Restore.ipsw

Hmm.. that's strange.

According to this site, "iphone5,4" is the identifier for an iPhone 5C. But you mentioned the phone is a 5S?

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

Had a response written out and my connection dropped off again. and i lost it.

I'll shorten it. My Father's phone died 2 days ago, he got himself a new 5c, and i used the last backup to put all his details onto the new phone. He has the 5c, my Mother has the 5s. I used the backup from her phone to put the contacts, etc. onto his.

Would this account for the downloading of the wrong update? If so why? His is brand new and has no update on the settings icon. Her one does and i had it plugged in when i was checking for the update, and itunes identified it as her phone.

SO now the question is where do i get the proper update? I've copied the update above to another folder away from everything else so can i delete that download file? How can i be assured of getting the right one, and not the "wrong" one again?

Sorry for all this, but thanks for helping.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

Had a response written out and my connection dropped off again. and i lost it.

I'll shorten it. My Father's phone died 2 days ago, he got himself a new 5c, and i used the last backup to put all his details onto the new phone. He has the 5c, my Mother has the 5s. I used the backup from her phone to put the contacts, etc. onto his.

Would this account for the downloading of the wrong update? If so why? His is brand new and has no update on the settings icon. Her one does and i had it plugged in when i was checking for the update, and itunes identified it as her phone.

SO now the question is where do i get the proper update? I've copied the update above to another folder away from everything else so can i delete that download file? How can i be assured of getting the right one, and not the "wrong" one again?

Sorry for all this, but thanks for helping.

I couldn't imagine living with your connection...my god.

Stall the ball there, before you go deleting that file.

You've confused me a little bit. You said your father's phone is a 5C in that reply and your mother's phone is a 5S. But in the OP you said that the phone you wish to update is the 5S.

Can you just confirm what phone you're actually updating before I help anymore? :P

• Advertisement

I want to update the 5s, as per the OP.

When you said the update was for a 5c it just dawned on me that my Father got a new iPhone 5c yesterday that i plugged into my laptop to transfer contacts, etc onto. I used my Mother's backup (from her iPhone 5s, last backed up on December 21st 2014) to get contacts, phone numbers, e-mail addresses, etc.

Hope i haven't lost ya completely.

I want to update the 5s, as per the OP.

When you said the update was for a 5c it just dawned on me that my Father got a new iPhone 5c yesterday that i plugged into my laptop to transfer contacts, etc onto. I used my Mother's backup (from her iPhone 5s, last backed up on December 21st 2014) to get contacts, phone numbers, e-mail addresses, etc.

Sound. Sorry for the confusion.

Restoring your mother's backup (from the 5S) onto your father's phone (the 5C) should not result in what happened. It's bizarre, and I have no idea why it happened.

So, how to fix it...

You need to go to this website http://www.ipswdownloader.com then select iPhone from "Device".

Now here's the tricky bit: trying to figure out what model you have. The two possibilities are 5S (GSM) and 5S (Global). I think GSM would be the correct option if the phone was bought in Ireland.

Then, select the latest iOS version.
    Click "Download".
    Then a blue link will appear below the Download button - click that, and the download will run, in your browser.

Just so you know, the website actually just links to the Apple download servers. (You can see that the blue link points to applednld.apple.com).

Hope i haven't lost ya completely.

No, you hadn't - I was off reading an article and forgot to get back to you - sorry!

Sound. Sorry for the confusion.

Restoring your mother's backup (from the 5S) onto your father's phone (the 5C) should not result in what happened. It's bizarre, and I have no idea why it happened.
    I'm too up on this stuff (i still use a 6 year old Nokia), but i don't see how either.

I always do the updates via the laptop as the phone is even slower than the internet, plus if i left if for 7+ hours it'd die before updating.

Never had a problem before now, and in the 18 months she has had it i've done 3 or 4 of these.
    You need to go to this website http://www.ipswdownloader.com then select iPhone from "Device".

Now here's the tricky bit: trying to figure out what model you have. The two possibilities are 5S (GSM) and 5S (Global). I think GSM would be the correct option if the phone was bought in Ireland.

Then, select the latest iOS version.
    Click "Download".
    Then a blue link will appear below the Download button - click that, and the download will run, in your browser.

Just so you know, the website actually just links to the Apple download servers. (You can see that the blue link points to applednld.apple.com).

Not sure if this helps, but when trying to find a reason i came across this article (sorry Mods if this breaks some rules on linking, etc.. If so please delete).

On it are multiple links and the 6 for the iphone, and what shows up as the file name for each, are:
    • iPhone 5 (CDMA) - iPhone5,2_8.1.2_12B440_Restore
    • iPhone 5 (GSM) - iPhone5,1_8.1.2_12B440_Restore
    • iPhone 5c (CDMA) - iPhone5,4_8.1.2_12B440_Restore
    • iPhone 5c (GSM) - iPhone5,3_8.1.2_12B440_Restore
    • iPhone 5s (CDMA) - iPhone6,2_8.1.2_12B440_Restore
    • iPhone 5s (GSM) - iPhone6,1_8.1.2_12B440_Restore

So judging by the above the two for the 5s seem to be iPhone 6 updates/restores.

I'm too up on this stuff (i still use a 6 year old Nokia), but i don't see how either.

I always do the updates via the laptop as the phone is even slower than the internet, plus if i left if for 7+ hours it'd die before updating.

Never had a problem before now, and in the 18 months she has had it i've done 3 or 4 of these.

Nothing wrong with a solid Nokia - no need to worry about the battery :P

It seems to have just gotten unlucky this time around.

Not sure if this helps, but when trying to find a reason i came across this article (sorry Mods if this breaks some rules on linking, etc.. If so please delete).

On it are multiple links and the 6 for the iphone, and what shows up as the file name for each, are:
    • iPhone 5 (CDMA) - iPhone5,2_8.1.2_12B440_Restore
    • iPhone 5 (GSM) - iPhone5,1_8.1.2_12B440_Restore
    • iPhone 5c (CDMA) - iPhone5,4_8.1.2_12B440_Restore
    • iPhone 5c (GSM) - iPhone5,3_8.1.2_12B440_Restore
    • iPhone 5s (CDMA) - iPhone6,2_8.1.2_12B440_Restore
    • iPhone 5s (GSM) - iPhone6,1_8.1.2_12B440_Restore

So judging by the above the two for the 5s seem to be iPhone 6 updates/restores.

No, that's not correct.

"iPhone6,1" and "iPhone6,2" in the filenames are called Model IDs - they are used to identify the specific iPhone model (duh!). But they don't have anything to do with the product name of the iPhone they correspond to.

For instance, the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus have model IDs "iPhone7,1" and "iPhone7,2".

I hope I'm not confusing you.

That list confirms that your ipsw file (iPhone5,4) is the file for the iPhone 5C.
    You need the ipsw for the iPhone 5S, and seeing as it's an Irish iPhone, I can nearly assure you it's the GSM version. (i.e. with model ID iPhone6,1).

I hate to say it to you, but I think you're going to need to download the whole update again :( Do it overnight, and you should have it by morning.

Nothing wrong with a solid Nokia - no need to worry about the battery :P
    Nokia N95. Cannot beat it. :D
    "iPhone6,1" and "iPhone6,2" in the filenames are called Model IDs - they are used to identify the specific iPhone model (duh!). But they don't have anything to do with the product name of the iPhone they correspond to.

For instance, the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus have model IDs "iPhone7,1" and "iPhone7,2".

I hope I'm not confusing you.
    No, think i have that. So the file name is, to some extent, irrelevant. Only what phone it's linked to.
    That list confirms that your ipsw file (iPhone5,4) is the file for the iPhone 5C.
    You need the ipsw for the iPhone 5S, and seeing as it's an Irish iPhone, I can nearly assure you it's the GSM version. (i.e. with model ID iPhone6,1).
    So i download the one for 5s (GSM) and i'm good to go?
    I hate to say it to you, but I think you're going to need to download the whole update again :( Do it overnight, and you should have it by morning.
    I might drop up to my sister's place. She has real interweb, and this should take no more than 15 minutes there. She gets speeds of 2 - 3.5mb/s which is Star Trek stuff to us poor "mountain folk". :D

Makes me cry when my mate in Dublin tells me he gets near 45mb/s . My speeds average 29kb/s to 145kb/s during normal hours. On certain nights, after 3am, i have been lucky to get 650 kb/s .

Listen, thanks for all your help. I've bookmarked this page and i'll use the links you provided above and just download it all again.

Cheers.

Nokia N95. Cannot beat it. :D

No, think i have that. So the file name is, to some extent, irrelevant. Only what phone it's linked to.
    Precisely.

So i download the one for 5s (GSM) and i'm good to go?

I might drop up to my sister's place. She has real interweb, and this should take no more than 15 minutes there. She gets speeds of 2 - 3.5mb/s which is Star Trek stuff to us poor "mountain folk". :D

Yes, download that one. If you have the extra 15 minutes, go ahead and download the 5s (Global) or 5s (CDMA) one as well. GSM should be the right one, but just in case.
    Makes me cry when my mate in Dublin tells me he gets near 45mb/s . My speeds average 29kb/s to 145kb/s during normal hours. On certain nights, after 3am, i have been lucky to get 650 kb/s .

Listen, thanks for all your help. I've bookmarked this page and i'll use the links you provided above and just download it all again.

Cheers.

That's horrific. I'm out in the shticks myself, and I get around 220kB/s consistently, here.

I'm in college most days though, and needless to say, I take advantage of their 60mb/s-ish speeds :D

No worries. Post a reply if you need anything else!

Yes, download that one. If you have the extra 15 minutes, go ahead and download the 5s (Global) or 5s (CDMA) one as well. GSM should be the right one, but just in case.
    Will do.
    That's horrific. I'm out in the shticks myself, and I get around 220kB/s consistently, here.
    Hit and miss here i'm afraid. Problem is it's the only supplier that comes out here. So it's this or nothing.
    I'm in college most days though, and needless to say, I take advantage of their 60mb/s-ish speeds :D
    Nearly 20 years since i was in college so it's all new to me. I stick to the KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) rule. As much as is possible that is.
    No worries. Post a reply if you need anything else!
    Will do and thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,475 ✭✭✭✭guil

Sync the 5s with iTunes and then click restore. It will download and install the right ipsw.

• Advertisement
Advertisement