Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

M1 New Section of D3 (three lanes) at Swords

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

Its the drainage that probably needs to be cctv surveyed to check the condition of it...not the actual locations. You would generally see some degradation and it would need blasting out if the drainage is connecting into it.

I remember, during the M1 J2 to J3 widening works, the hard shoulders were closed for quite a while - even though all 6 lanes were open to traffic. It was probably for drainage work etc - maybe SIAC are front-loading such works this time so as to avoid prolonged hard shoulder closures in the latter stages of the contract.

Regards!

Davy wrote: »
    Their was signs being put out on the hard shoulder of the M50 at junction 3, just before the slip to airport/m1. Im presuming it was for this, as the distance was 800m (i think)

...well I just checked my OS map and reckon that the Drynam Interchange (where the current M1 widening works start) is around 4km from that point - the signs you mentioned probably refer to something else.

Regards!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

...well I just checked my OS map and reckon that the Drynam Interchange (where the current M1 widening works start) is around 4km from that point - the signs you mentioned probably refer to something else.

Regards!

Thats what I was thinking, but the only other thing i could find was this (http://www.aaireland.ie/AA/AA-Roadwatch/Story.aspx?id=125334) but then the signs would after the road works ;)

Site0Camera111.jpg
    (image self refreshing)

As of 07/02/2012 @ 00:11 - looks like some of the Solid Yellow Line has been burned off - also note what looks like some new armco barrier near the bottom left corner of the image.

Regards!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

both lanes south bound are moved to the left by about 1 metre. Traffic joins with the left and middle lane at Drynam now

• Advertisement

Metal road works barriers in place and a JCB placed just after before the 3 lanes at Drynam

site0camera111.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Last Monday, eircom contractors were rooting around in ducts near the Lissenhall junction.

sgarvan wrote: »
    Metal road works barriers in place and a JCB placed just after before the 3 lanes at Drynam

Since last night, it seems that in the area of the Drynam Flyover, both carriageways have been pushed out (remarked) and armco barriers installed. I guess the contractors will work their way up towards Lissenhall with the same arrangement being put in place section by section.

Regards!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

Last Monday, eircom contractors were rooting around in ducts near the Lissenhall junction.

That's always a good sign

Good to see some work started today. Some of the hedges are removed from the centre and some digging has started.

• Advertisement

sgarvan wrote: »
    Good to see some work started today. Some of the hedges are removed from the centre and some digging has started.

Digging is good.

Wild Bill wrote: »
    Digging is good.

Understatement! :D

Drove the M1 SB this morning and the traffic cams (which show little or nothing happening) totally belies the reality - a good stretch of the median is dug up and at least, the SB 3rd lane is well underway - things seem to be proceeding in the way that the previous widening works did - this does bode quite well IMO.

Nothing to report at Lissenhall yet - drove there NB this afternoon.

Regards! :)

I've seens bits of the R132 resurfacing jobs last Tuesday including the Pinnock Hill Roundabout which is now completely resurfaced. A stretch of the N1 between Drumcondra and Whitehall has been resurfaced too and it's very smooth and well marked - well done DCC! I must travel the R132 from Santry to Swords to have a good look at the recent work by FCC there - I also hope to see the beginnings of the R132 DC Upgrade at the Airport.

Regards!

The tender drawings (Revision B02) differ from the draft (Revision A01) in that the cycle lanes are now 'behind verge' affairs - this will narrow the overall road profile by 1.5m each way - all junction slips and movements have been retained as far as I can see.

Original Post:
    Work on the the R132 dual carriageway from Collinstown Cross to Airport Roundabout is due to get underway shortly according to Fingal County Council's website as this page shows!

The work consists of upgrading approximately 1.3km of existing 4 lane single carriageway (I've included the makeshift bit) to Dual 3 lane (1 bus lane and 2 general traffic lanes each way) - also included is a 1.5m on-road cycle lane each way bringing the carriageway pavements to 11.75m (1.5m + 3.25m + 3.5m + 3.5m) each.

Revision:

The work consists of upgrading approximately 1.3km of existing 4 lane single carriageway (I've included the makeshift bit) to Dual 3 lane (1 bus lane and 2 general traffic lanes each way) - also included is a 1.5m off-road cycle lane along with a 2.0m footpath each way. Therefore, the carriageway pavements will be 10.25m (3.25m (bus lane) + 3.5m + 3.5m) each.

Regards!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Yeah, from between the Malahide road overbridge and Kinsealy overbridge, the 3rd lane was down to subsoil( i.e. topsoil and some subsoil) has been removed.

northbound less progress.

Overall, there seems to be less disruption than the last works, the traffic is only moved about 1m left, and there's still a hard shoulder.

Eircom lads working again today near Lisenhall junction, must be a load of services going through it.

Still joke of speed limits though.
    80 southbound after the roadworks end i.e. on the first 3-lane section from holywell junction.
    100 northbound from the end of roadworks sign at the Malahide road.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Regards!
    Wrong thread?

spacetweek wrote: »
    Wrong thread?

Now that you say it, I think there is a R132 thread - I'll try and dig it up!

Regards!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

Now that you say it, I think there is a R132 thread - I'll try and dig it up!

Regards!
    There was an R132 thread in "Dublin County North" IIRC

I've been on the M1 Southbound (Jct 4 to Jct 3) today and work is progressing well. The median is dug up between the Drynam Interchange and the Malahide Road bridge. It shouldn't be too long till the median work starts becoming visible in DCC Traffic Camera #112 (M1 / Malahide Estuary) - I'm pretty sure the bridge in the background is that of the Malahide Road.

What could also be clearly seen while driving was the presence of hardcore for the 3rd lane Southbound. For obvious reasons, I wasn't in any position to take photos - maybe the next time when I have a passenger or two with me. Didn't see anything at Lissenhall though.

Don't see any cones :(

• Advertisement

It's me again! ;)

This time, I've found a new PDF document on FCC site showing a revised layout (Sept 2011) for the Lissenhall Interchange - as far as I can see, the road layout remains very much the same, apart from the M1 SB on-ramp where priority on both lanes is given to traffic coming from the R132 - the left slip from Hearse Road goes into a yield instead. The main changes are in the addition of 4 underpasses for cyclists and pedestrians in at least one case. Special loops for cyclists are featured. There is no underpass across the M1 SB off-ramp - if I remember correctly, it was not possible due to services etc according to Council Minutes.

With the above said, here's the LINK! (PDF File - 2183KB)

Enjoy! :)

A spaghetti junction for cyclists! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Kumsheen

Are those traffic lights for cyclists to cross the various junctions or are they underpasses?

Kumsheen wrote: »
    Are those traffic lights for cyclists to cross the various junctions or are they underpasses?

AFAIK, the cyclists will cross the M1 North on-ramp and off-ramp, M1 South on-ramp and Hearse Road via underpasses (4 in all). However, they will still have to cross the M1 South off-ramp at grade along with the pedestrians - I think there's a problem regarding underground services at that location. I guess the increase in cost would not be insignificant given the traffic diversions that would be required to insert the underpass structures - presuming that is, they are underpasses.

Regards!

A spaghetti junction for cyclists! :D

...well that's what came to my mind too - given that the cycle manual would be IMO unworkable in many cases, grade separation might be the only option for cyclists regarding most major traffic junctions. The DLRCC Cherrywood Draft Plan is out and a new line of thinking regarding cycle routes seems to be in diverting them away from major urban roads such as the N11 Bray Road DC. The desire is to route a cycle route from Cherrywood to Bray (2 loose options I think) while avoiding the N11 DC altogether.

Regards!

.The desire is to route a cycle route from Cherrywood to Bray (2 loose options I think) while avoiding the N11 DC altogether.

They'll need and underpass/overbridge at the M11 for that.

There are cycle bridges/tunnels through a few M50 junctions; J11 (Tallaght) and J6 (Navan) are two I can think of.

Nothing like the proposed Lissenhall cyclist's wonderland though! :)

They'll need and underpass/overbridge at the M11 for that.

There are cycle bridges/tunnels through a few M50 junctions; J11 (Tallaght) and J6 (Navan) are two I can think of.

Nothing like the proposed Lissenhall cyclist's wonderland though! :)

Looking at this map, I think one idea is to take a cycleway across the old rail viaduct above the Cherrywood Road and then on into the grounds of Loughlinstown Hospital (large building in the centre of map). From there, the route would go across a new bridge over the N11 and would then join up with the old Dublin Road through Shankill. I think it would be sensible to use the old viaduct given the now unlikely nature of the LUAS B2 Extension to Fassaroe ever going ahead. I must look into the Cherrywood Draft Planning Scheme in more detail.

Must get back to the M1 topic before the Mods are down here!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Not sure why you think B2 won't go ahead.

spacetweek wrote: »
    Not sure why you think B2 won't go ahead.

To me, it depended on significant property development at Fassaroe and you know the story with property now - also look at the LUAS B1 Extension to Cherrywood - I rode it recently around late morning to noon and there was just myself and another guy left by the time we got to the final stop - like me, he just got back on, so apart from those on curiosity visits, there was not one passenger getting off at Cherrywood - will be some time before even the Cherrywood SDZ is developed let alone Fassaroe IMO.

However, if anybody wants to continue discussing the LUAS B2 Extension (I know I brought it up here), the subject will have to taken up on the Infrastructure Forum - I think there is a specific LUAS B2 thread there - I might dig it up.

Regards!

• Advertisement

I think it would be sensible to use the old viaduct given the now unlikely nature of the LUAS B2 Extension to Fassaroe ever going ahead.

Never say never!

If the economy ever recovers from our self-inflicted debt mountain then Fassaroe and Cherrywood are obvious areas for the first green shoots of growth.

Advertisement