Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Pan Set - Which one to buy?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

BenThere wrote: »
    Hi all,

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions.

I don't want non-stick and I do want see through lids so I went ahead and purchased a set of these http://www.arnotts.ie/Product/stellar-s7c1d-draining-lid-saucepan-set-of-5/312608/400200100?fhparams=fh_location%253d%252f%252fcatalog01%252fen_IE%252fcategories%253c%257bcatalog01_c400%257d%252fcategories%253c%257bcatalog01_c400_c400200%257d%252fcategories%253c%257bcatalog01_c400_c400200_c400200100%257d%252fuda_product_type%253e%257bsaucepan20set%257d%2526fh_refpath%253dfacet_62%2526fh_refview%253dlister%2526fh_start_index%253d0%2526fh_view_size%253d999%2526fh_eds%253d%2525C3%25259F%2526fh_reffacet%253duda_product_type%2526fh_sort_by%253d-price_rounded%252b Stellar draining lid pots plus frying pan. I don't believe they are "normally" €420 for one minute as they are available on Amazon.co.uk for £130 but for €155 delivered they look like good value and a quality product. Looking forward to the Arnotts delivery van arriving in a few days.

Cheers,

Ben

These arrived today and are way better than I expected. They ooze quality, have a very nice weight to them (surprisingly heavy which I like) and I'm very happy I made the right choice for me.

Thanks all,

Ben

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Hi seem to be buying a new frying pan every year. I usually buy Tefal ones, paying about €25-30. They work great but they keep warping on me. I know you are not supposed to put it under the tap when hot, made that mistake before, but Ive been very careful with this one - and its still curving at the bottom - which means its not heating properly.

I'd like to get something decent, any recommendations? I know nothing about Ceramic or cast iron - are they any use?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

Zascar wrote: »
    Hi seem to be buying a new frying pan every year. I usually buy Tefal ones, paying about €25-30. They work great but they keep warping on me. I know you are not supposed to put it under the tap when hot, made that mistake before, but Ive been very careful with this one - and its still curving at the bottom - which means its not heating properly.

I'd like to get something decent, any recommendations? I know nothing about Ceramic or cast iron - are they any use?

Thanks

I use stainless steel frying pans most of the time- always find Le Cruset good quality and they keep for years. They also do non stick versions. They're expensive but if you've spent 30 euro a year for even the last 4 years, then you'll save money over time

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭sharkey 25

Hi lads

I'm looking for recommendations on a saucepan. The ones I have at the minute are a bit on d small side. I like to cook in advance for d week sometimes and often do a stew type dish or a curry. I find that the pans I have are too small and I often have taper down recipies. Im looking for a multi purpose pot. I seen some decent looking ones In tk maxx. Any reccomendations would be welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Le Crueset all the way! I've got various LC cooking pots in different sizes and three frying pans and they are just a pleasure to cook with. Durable, versatile and they look nice! TK Maxx often have it on sale (although I'm not sure if it's made in France and proper La Crueset is made in France afaik, I'm open to correction on that?) Worth a try anyway. Kildare Village also have an outlet. The price may seem prohibitive but it's not considering how long they last.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,746 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Merged.

tHB

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

Ahoy. I need to get a new frying pan, heavy based saucepan and perhaps a new wok. I haven't got a whole lot of cash at the moment though. Has anyone got any recommendations for a good good basic version of any of these that will tide me over a while? I can then pick and choose if i ever spot a bargain.

For frying pan i was going to go with a Tefal nonstick, as the one i have has served me well. Argos have them for around €23 for a 28cm (i have to measure my current one as i like the size of it.)
    Ikea have this as my heavy sauce pan, it looks nice enough! http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/catalog/products/90232840/
    Not sure about the wok. I currently have a gas hob, but i'm renting and will be moving in around a year so you never know what i will end up with next.

Also, any good basic saucepan recommendations? I really only need a small one for cooking rice for myself and a larger one for when there is more people, nothing major.

Thanks,
    Dibs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Welcome to our great big pots & pans thread Dibkins! We try to keep all these queries in the one place :)

All my pots & pans are from the IKEA 365+ range. I love them. Excellent heavy bases, metal handles and lids so can go straight into the oven and they're all in pretty much perfect nick after 3/4 years.

I also really like those Tefal frying pans. They're my go to omelette/egg/randomly frying bits of chicken/pancake pan

Oops, the first few in the search were all over 2 years old! Thanks for the merge (and the instant reading material!).

Don't worry bout it, it's just that there's some decent info in here :) Also me relentlessly hooering for IKEA. They should throw me a few bob.

Arnott's might have something nice in their cookware sale for you either at the mo

• Advertisement

Hmm. There was another good vote for the 365 further up, and I will be in Ikea next weekend! If they are nice and heavy i can probs do without a cast iron pan for now.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I just got a lovely 5L pot from the 365 range. I really like it.

The one you linked to earlier is a casserole dish, though. You could use it as a saucepan, but it would probably be a bit heavy and cumbersome for a lot of things.

I have a Le Creuset casserole that i love to use for pretty much everything at the moment, so it was really a replacement for that (my pans are very very light, so i like the heavy one). If my pans were heavier I wouldn't need it really! I've just been diagnosed with coeliac though, so i gotta get rid of my current cookware as i can't guarantee there isn't nasties lurking in the scratches:( I'm really going to miss my Creuset wok.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

All my pots & pans are from the IKEA 365+ range. I love them. Excellent heavy bases, metal handles and lids so can go straight into the oven and they're all in pretty much perfect nick after 3/4 years.

Recently got one of the 365 frying pans... I swear these are the worlds best kept secret. €15 for the best pan you will ever buy - and the non-stick actually works! :eek:

If you're eyeballing the IKEA cast iron casserole, dibs, there's a really positive review of it here. The 365 pots and pans have good solid bases and are heavy but they wouldn't be the same sort of heft as your le creuset

Well, they aren't in stock and there is no date for restocking. Boo. The 365 that is.

If you're eyeballing the IKEA cast iron casserole, dibs, there's a really positive review of it here. The 365 pots and pans have good solid bases and are heavy but they wouldn't be the same sort of heft as your le creuset
    dibkins wrote: »
    Well, they aren't in stock and there is no date for restocking. Boo. The 365 that is.

Check out Zwilling @ Kildare outlet store- they've had fantastic value on Staub cast ironware - a fraction of Dublin prices

http://www.kildarevillage.com/en/brands/item/zwilling

Thanks! I'll have to nudge my bro to head into kildare village as we pass next weekend.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I've been through so many frying pans, I seem to replace one every year. But I read some reviews on Amazon for the JML Regis stone frying pans and got some in woodies, its the best one Ive ever used. Highly recommended

Zascar wrote: »
    I've been through so many frying pans, I seem to replace one every year. But I read some reviews on Amazon for the JML Regis stone frying pans and got some in woodies, its the best one Ive ever used. Highly recommended

Sometimes a recommendation from Boards.ie can be worth 5 times a review elsewhere- I'll check them out- can't be any worse than the crappy non stick yokes I've dumped through the years myself- thanks :P

• Advertisement

dibkins wrote: »
    Thanks! I'll have to nudge my bro to head into kildare village as we pass next weekend.

Give them a shout first- or subscribe to their email offers thingy- not sure what offers are there currently but some fantastic ones over the Summer months this year

For an update, went to both Kildare Village and Ikea over the weekend. The ones you lined in Zwilling were still on offer, but i passed (i was going to be passnig again today if i wanted to go back!). When i went to Ikea, they turned out to have heaps of the 365+ in stock i happily picked them up! Not sure what their website was up to, but alls well. Thanks for the advice everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I'm looking for a set of carbon steel pans.

And this thread could probably do with some updates for 2020.

I'd been looking at DeBuyer's stuff on Amazon and the like.

Does anyone know where you can find a set of them, or similar?

I want a 2-5 all-purpose hard-wearing pans. I've a mix of enamelled, teflon and cast iron, but enamel pans are crap and I'd like some consistency across the set of them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I hadn't heard of Vogue, but I dunno do brands matter much. I wouldn't really know one from the other.

Is it a question of steel being steel and it not making a huge difference?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I wouldn't know one from another either, sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Gbear wrote: »
    I hadn't heard of Vogue, but I dunno do brands matter much. I wouldn't really know one from the other.

Is it a question of steel being steel and it not making a huge difference?
    I have a salter "pan for life" carbon steel flat wok. It warps up in the middle when it is at high heat. I still love it and use it way more than my cast iron pan. It heats up really quick compared to the cast iron or any pan I have used before. This is due to it being so thin though which makes it prone to warping. The non stick performance is very good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭twignme

knivesandtools.ie have a great selection of de buyer and other good brands of pots and pans. They are all a little bit pricey but it’s a good informative site to browse through. My wish list on here is very long!

• Advertisement

twignme wrote: »
    knivesandtools.ie have a great selection of de buyer and other good brands of pots and pans. They are all a little bit pricey but it’s a good informative site to browse through. My wish list on here is very long!

They seem there or therabouts the prices I've seen elsewhere.

They're not cheap, but if you take care of them, they should last pretty much a lifetime.

Advertisement