Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Society Golf Categories

• 12-06-2011 5:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Can anyone tell me if there are rules to define categories in golf.

For example the society i'm in normally has Cat 1 for 12 hcap and below and Cat 2 for 13 and above. However as more of the members are in the Cat 2 range we are thinking of increasing Cat 1 to 14 and below.

Is this technically allowed?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,379 ✭✭✭Trampas

your society so i would have thought you can do what you want

• Registered Users Posts: 15 kiercoll

I've been told by a society member that it's not allowed.. this has triggered me to asking the question :)

thanks,
    K

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭stockdam

You can do whatever you want in your society.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Dtoffee

As a society, your committee should have a set of rules and reguations as well as articles of association. Included in that is reference as to how members should address any queries and the rights of the committee to set the classes as and when required.

I would suggest you adopt a 50/50 ratio when splitting classes and make it CLEAR that the committee make the decision on the day as it is the only fair way (its only when you know the actual numbers playing will you be able to give a fair 50/50 split).

One of the biggest problems facing any society is dealing with trophy hunters, your rules should be clear and definitive ...... any complaints should be put in writing as the alternative is ongoing moaning and bitching after every outing.

Thanks - yes we wish to implement a 50/50 split, however this would mean that Cat 1 would be 0 - 14.

We did this at our last outing and a member queried this stating that it must be 12 and below.

We do have a constitution but there is nothing in our constitution about categories.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭stockdam

Sounds like you need to write some rules. Your aim is to get the prizes distributed as best you can. If you have lots of higher handicaps then you obviously don't want lots of people in one group and very few in the other (low handicap group).

You can also add penalties for winning (deduct a point or more from all scores for a period of time). You can make up your own handicapping system but make sure you have thought it through and documented it.

There is always politics in any society. Best to make sure everyone knows the rules and has the opportunity to request improvements.

Hi,

Yes we do have rules and we do have a constitution.
    All members are also club members so we use the official handicap and deduct from that based on performance in the society competition.

The one thing not covered by the constitution is this :)

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭hades

We even have a Cat C, for folks who don't play very often or are beginners. Great way to keep people motivated, i won this last time out (technically as a beginner) and the lads gave me more slaps on the back then they did to the guy who won the overall.

Its all about keeping as many people in the prizes as possible, and even for the smaller handicaps, it gives them something more to aim for, then just best gross.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭kermitpwee

kiercoll wrote: »
    I've been told by a society member that it's not allowed.. this has triggered me to asking the question :)

thanks,
    K

Well I don't see why you cant change as you are a society, as it stands category 1 players are 5 or below so your 0-12 at the moment has no grounds other than yee decided it so yee can decide 0-14;)

Thank you all for your comments.

• Advertisement
Advertisement