Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

After effects of losing my baby

• 14-01-2009 11:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39

Hi...not sure if I can post about this here if

I recently suffered a miscarriage at eight weeks, I had only discovered I was pregnant a few weeks before and whilst it was unplanned and unexpected I do feel a real sense of loss and sadness about it each day/hour since :(...I also have lots of questions which had I gone to a doctor I would know but I didn't - also didn't tell my mother so cannot ask her question cause I'm still quite young (18 years)

My questions are -

1. Should my periods continue as normal again? On same days?

2. I have had some breast growth maybe a cupsize? are my breasts going to sag?

3. Is there anything else I should expect?

I know this not medical forum but from people and personal experiences I was hoping for help/answers! Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Quackles

gabriella wrote: »
    Hi...not sure if I can post about this here if

I recently suffered a miscarriage at eight weeks, I had only discovered I was pregnant a few weeks before and whilst it was unplanned and unexpected I do feel a real sense of loss and sadness about it each day/hour since :(...I also have lots of questions which had I gone to a doctor I would know but I didn't - also didn't tell my mother so cannot ask her question cause I'm still quite young (18 years)

My questions are -

1. Should my periods continue as normal again? On same days?

2. I have had some breast growth maybe a cupsize? are my breasts going to sag?

3. Is there anything else I should expect?

I know this not medical forum but from people and personal experiences I was hoping for help/answers! Thanks

I'm very sorry for your loss :(

I can't help with your questions, but I'd strongly advise you visit a doctor - there is always a chance that what you passed was incomplete. If any of the pregnancy tissue remains, you can get very seriously infected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭Dfens

Quackles wrote: »
    I'm very sorry for your loss :(

I can't help with your questions, but I'd strongly advise you visit a doctor - there is always a chance that what you passed was incomplete. If any of the pregnancy tissue remains, you can get very seriously infected.

OP Sorry to hear about your recent loss. As Quackles said you should go to your GP or another healthcare provider to get the medical all-clear. Before you go, you could think about all these questions you would like answered & make a list for yourself, as I know how easy it is to forget when you're in at the doctor & come out saying to yourself 'why didn't I ask this, that....'
    If you are in college, maybe you can go see the student health doctor or nurse if you didn't want to see one in your home town.

From my own personal experience, it can take a while for normal periods to return due to hormone levels returning to pre-pregnancy levels, but if I hadn't had a normal period after 2 months I would definitely get myself checked out. Sometimes part of the placenta or other 'pregnancy tissues' can be left and can cause problems (infection or septicemia) - they may refer to these tissues as 'retained products of pregnancy/gestation'.

Breast changes usually go back to normal (pity :() but in the meantime you should wear a bra with good support to help prevent stretch marks etc.

In realtion to your 3rd question, best to ask your doctor for medical things. But for your mental wellbeing - do you have a family member (sister, aunt?) or close friend that you can confide in & talk about all you've been through? Or maybe give this a look http://www.miscarriage.ie/ - they may have someone they you could talk things through with.

Wishing you well OP.

Advertisement