Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Looking For A Free Celebrity

Options
  • 23-02-2008 8:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

Guys

Does anyone know of a celebrity who will do free official openings (its a non-profit sports club)... or is that a ridiculous request?? Any ideas

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭tampopo

No, it's not a ridiculous request. Finding said celebrity would be like finding a needle in a haystack.

I did however benefit from the kindness from a sportstar several years ago. The wife was friendly with the sister of a sportstar and ultimately they came and helped a then work colleague at an under age sports training session.

So, yeah, it can be done but, very rare I'd say. They'd spend all their time doing it for no reward.

If it's a gaa club, go to a local gaa club that has an intercounty player, a rugby club, which has a provincial player, football, your nearest League of Ireland club. Go to their bar, ask around, ask the club PRO.

Ask around, if they say No, well you tried.
    If they say Yes, bob's your uncle...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

I agree with tampopo. It depends on what you want opened?

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭tracy1002

Its an athletic club..... unfortunately not percieved as a big sport really but who knows I may get lucky. Will keep trying... thanks for replies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

One of the Irish lads who did Big Brother would probably do it! :eek:

• Registered Users, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Give David Gillick or Dervla O'Rourke a ring and if that fails ..................................well there's always Eamonn Coughlan!!:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

There you go, a few tips for you!

David Gillick trains in Loughborough, so he's probably unavailable. Dervla works p/t in DCU, you could call them or SPAR marketing dept.

Eamonn Coghlan works for the Children's Hospital, I think in the Fundraising area, so maybe he could spare a couple of hours of his time.

The female hammer thrower, great prospect of a medal in Beijing, practices in Morton Stadium, fixing her own divots. Volunteer to help her repair the grass for one day, in return for a couple of hours of her time!!!.

good luck with it. What about the 100/200m sprinter, Brazzill???? Go to the Athletics thread on the Sports board for more ideas...

Gerry Kiernan
    oh, what's his name, John Treacy, find him c/o The Sports Council

tracy1002 wrote: »
    Its an athletic club..... unfortunately not percieved as a big sport really but who knows I may get lucky. Will keep trying... thanks for replies

In an Olympic year with the Worlds Indoors on next month, it's the flavour of the month. Yeah, baby!

Advertisement